Advice, please.

Options
cdstaufenbiel
cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
Good morning!

I have recently started training for a half-marathon in October. My current running schedule consists of shorter runs (3-5 miles) on M, W, F and a long run on Saturday or Sunday. I have also started weight training (full body) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I admit to falling prey to the mentality of "I ran X miles today, I should reward myself and/or not feel guilty about eating this...". This thought process has derailed my intention of dropping pounds during my training.

I have read posts on this forum that indicate you should not eat back your exercise calories if you want to lose weight. I know that whether or not to eat exercise calories is a personal preference, but I would love to get feedback on what has worked for you folks.

Also, I would love recommendations on what to eat before and after long runs. I usually eat something fairly light, like a cheese stick or banana, prior to long runs. Should I eat immediately after running or wait? I'm just not clear on the best tactics to take.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My longest run is 10 miles, but I have run 7.5 or more several times; still training for first half in the fall...

I don't eat soon after the longer runs. It isn't a plan - I just don't feel like eating for a while after and then I don't eat much.

I have not been eating exercise calories even though I am eating at a deficit; I had a lot of weight to lose and felt confident I was getting enough nutrients, so I would rather have the quicker loss.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You should definitely eat back your exercise calories in my opinion. Just make sure you are maintaining a small deficit if you want to continue to lose weight. I would not be trying to lose at a 2 lb/week rate either - it may make it difficult to sustain the mileage. I do usually eat a little (banana, toast, or a protein bar) before a long run, and I have to eat something pretty soon after a long run (over 10 miles) or else I crash and am useless for several hours. Usually I will have chocolate milk, and then after showering eat more substantially.
  • rayray1851
    rayray1851 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but for me it all depends on how I feel. I've quit counting calories and focused on eating healthy foods (protein, veggies, some whole grains...) but if you're really hungry then I would definitely eat back some of your exercise calories. I follow the "eat within 30 minutes of a run" but it doesn't have to be a giant meal. I don't know if your food weakness is sweets or junk, but find something that is a "treat" but still healthy to substitute. My favorite is peanut butter and banana :)
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I too am training for a half in September...I eat a small amount of calories with protein in it then go for my 3,4 or 5 mile run Monday and Wednesday then run long on Saturday...I do eat a bit more for my long run 10+ miles so as to make sure I have enough fuel to finish strong....after I get home I shower, take a cold ice bath, and then eat something with protein, carbs and a healthy fat if possible...

As far as eating back exercise calories, I do eat some of them because I need the fuel to train properly...I am still eating at a deficit so I am still losing weight but again I eat some of them back. Some days I eat more calories and other days I eat less...I am currently set at 1300 calories and exercise 5-6 days a week burning anywhere from 350-1000 calories so you can see why I would eat some exercise calories back depending on my workout of the day. If you don't fuel your body it will not perform properly and will rebel on you! Take care of it and it will take care of you. Good luck with your half!