shin splints ouch!

Options
okay I keep getting them! I am doing strength exercises or my calves and trying my best to stretch in between runs but I am still getting them, it can stop me from finishing my run sometimes and it sucks when it is beautiful outside and I can't finish because of the pain :(

Has anyone else encountered this or have any good exercises or stretches to help!

anything is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a newbie runner, and I was about to give up running because of the shin splints. Your case maybe different, so a more experienced runner or a Doctor may be able to give you a better perspective, but I will share what worked for me. A friend, who is a more experienced runner suggested new running shoes. At the time I was using Puma shoes to run, but the pain was really intense. I, then, went to a running shoes store in Chicago. There, the sales associate checked my arc, running pattern, and some other stuff, and she recommended a pair of Asics, and those shoes have made a huge difference. Lately (the last two weeks) I've been running 35-40 minutes straight which is a big milestone. Before i couldn't even run 10 because of the pain. Good luck.
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I second the notion of properly fitted running shoes.

If you've already done that, then some other things to try are:
    • Exercises & stretches - sounds like you're already doing these, but you can check out Runner's World for more examples
    • Ice - 2-3 times a day, and especially after you run. You might want to use small paper cups to make hard cubes you can rub on along your shin.
    • Foam rolling - painful, but it seemed to help a bit
    • Calf sleeves or running socks - this was the biggest help for me. Mild/moderate calf sleeves can help support those muscles when you run.

Good luck!

• ashwayparkvp15
    ashwayparkvp15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling right now with ankle/lower leg pain myself. I was doing great inside on the treadmill but as soon as I took it outside my ankle & lower shin started hurting. I've been resting it for a week now and tried to do a little run today and immediately felt pain. I'm bummed! I'm going to check out some of the advice here as well. Hopefully we can both find some relief. :)
  • runollierun
    runollierun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I try to skip an extra day if it hurts--better to skip than to injure yourself.
  • ashwayparkvp15
    ashwayparkvp15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ya I have pretty much been supplementing with other cardio...ellipitical....bike...etc. It just sucks....running feels the best when the pain isn't there!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ya I have pretty much been supplementing with other cardio...ellipitical....bike...etc. It just sucks....running feels the best when the pain isn't there!

I feel the same! Running is the only exercise I really enjoy so I hate being side lined by this stupid pain!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else encountered this or have any good exercises or stretches to help!

I note that you're already there with these points, but.

It's an injury, let it heal before going back to running. Icing does not help, it just masks the pain.

There are several different potential causes for shin splints, so it's worth considering each of these when you go back to running.
    • Ill fitting, worn out or inappropriate shoes - Already touched on above. I'm not a huge advocate of getting gait analysis as a new runner, but if you're already having pain it may be useful. New runners will evolve their gait fairly rapidly, hence not being a default recommendation from me.
    • Overstriding - This is what I see as most common, and reaching the leading leg out in front causes significant rotational stresses on the lower leg, exacerbating the problem. Running is essentially protracted shuffling, keep the leading foot under or only just in front of the centre of mass as it lands, then push yourself forward. This also helps cultivate a midfoot landing.
    • Too much, too soon - this used to be my problem. I'd decide to start running, then knock out 5 or 6 miles and injure myself in a week. The C25K plan should help reduce the risk of that, as long as you follow it; every other day etc.
    • Leg strength imbalance - Frequently the problem is a weak shin muscle, rather than calves. This leads to a lower level of control on landing, that can cause the problem.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints when wearing bad shoes, not drinking enough water prior to running. Poor running form can do it too..