Stress and OED

Options
Hi I over eat a lot when under stress. My history is to eat cookies and milk, or a lot of cereal. cake well you get it sugar. Even running a 5k 5 days a week M-F it is so hard. What can I prepare as a go to food other than walnuts to help soothe that big fat baby inside me. What are your go to food when *kitten* hits the fan. My food diary is open. My stress is out of my control. Placing my mother n law in assisted living due to traumatic brain injury that has accelerated advance dementia. Cost and fees are really scary. But we are not retired and still in our earning years.
So back to food. What are you folks eating when .....
Thanks
Patsy

Replies

• JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Nuts, I eat all kinds. Half a banana or half an apple. If your choices are eat a mini meal or cake then I would eat a mini meal. Mini omelet, pork chop/chicken breast. Are you a yogurt eater? Could pop some seeds and nuts into a yogurt? Hot tea? Cup of soup?
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Nuts, I eat all kinds. Half a banana or half an apple. If your choices are eat a mini meal or cake then I would eat a mini meal. Mini omelet, pork chop/chicken breast. Are you a yogurt eater? Could pop some seeds and nuts into a yogurt? Hot tea? Cup of soup?

Thanks Jess. I avoid yogurt to many carbs. I do try to cook ahead and eat {pick} meats and veggies. I probably will buy more nuts. Make sugar free jello. Run more.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My prayers go out to you, what a tough situation! I'm a stress eater as well, however I will say that watching the sugar intake, namely fructose, and eating loads of high quality saturated fat via an ancestral diet leaves me much less likely to stress eat. You could try making some raw freezer fudge out of raw cacao, coconut oil, etc. Check out the website "I Quit Sugar" for some great low fructose/fructose free options. They are usually pretty easy to make. I use rice malt syrup for many treats (although I know that's not Paleo but I still include some rice) which is pretty much all glucose and less likely to put you on the sugar roller coaster. Or you could use stevia, although I know there's some debate about that as well.
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with KombuchaCat. I have a long history of being a comfort eater. Stress, boredom, loneliness - any kind of emotion sends me to the pantry or fridge. I have found that eating strict paleo really really helps my moods. I still have stress (a mother-in-law) and loneliness (my 3 kids and 4 grandchildren live on the other side of the world from me). Those things haven't changed, but sugar and grains in my food really make me focus on the negative. I have had to eliminate some of the paleo friendly sugars too like dried fruits, honey and maple syrup. But when I do, I can eat 3 healthy, nutrient rich meals a day, and not need to go to the fridge between meals, because the stress doesn't feel so stressful anymore. It has become easier to focus on the positive things in my life.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When I get really stressed, I might eat a whole can of pitted black olives. It doesn't do a whole lot of damage.