Forbes article on Night Eating Syndrome

Options
PPumpItUp
PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
I did not know this was a mental disorder until I read this article. Now I want to start a support group to help others like me, that eat in the middle of the night even though we are not hungry.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2014/02/24/night-eating-syndrome-a-warning-sign/

Replies

• balls2thewall
    balls2thewall Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thank you for starting this group! I'm not sure which of the three I might have, but I find myself waking up in the middle of a dead sleep, somewhat still sleeping, my eyes aren't even fully open and I'm jumping out of bed, like an alarm went off and I have to eat something, but I'm aware of what I'm doing. I have to leave quite a deficit to make up for what i might eat during the night. I don't eat a lot during these episodes as I'm aware of what I'm doing, sometimes it's just a spoonful of peanut butter or sometimes a spoonful of tuna damned noodle casserole. The worst part is I don't even feel hungry when I'm doing it, it's like a night time food eating gremlin takes over me and depending how early I go to bed it can happen up to two times a night. It's awful! My dad had it too. I remember family members joking that hecwoukd wake up during the night and eat god knows what, I can say it truly isnt funny! I have a thought that I may be depriving myself too much during the day and my mind just takes over when I'm at my most voulnerable, but I just don't know and it's terribly frustrating and embarrassing and it happens every night!
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    I love tuna noodle casserole.

After I read some more articles and found out that it might be a mental illness I have been trying to tell myself when I wake up. Ash, you do not need food, food is fule and you are topped off, you are going to mess up your macros eating a bunch of carbs... its not working yet but I hope it will sometime soon.
  • balls2thewall
    Options
    I hope that works for you! I do that too... As I'm reaching for a spoon! :/ I truly believe it could be mental as my mind just seems to take over and there's no stopping it. Last night I wasn't so fortunate as I went right into the kitchen and started eating my grandmother's donuts, which meant I had to skip breakfast... The worst part is we have TWO kitchens here! I've also read if instead of reaching for food try guzzling some water. The struggle is real!!! I'm thinking of actually taking zzquil just to stay asleep, but I don't think that's a very good idea. I don't understand it, it's like a switch that's went off. I've lost 100lbs and have maintained luckily, but still have 20lbs. to lose and I'm pretty sure night eating is the culprit. I haven't had any sweets in three years, until recently. Now I'm completely unhinged. I know it's not ideal, but I try to stay under 1000 cals. Which may be affecting this madness, I'm just super paranoid that I overestimate my calorie burn, so I try to keep the deficit low. I wish you luck, hopefully us talking about it helps in some way!
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    I am trying to chew gum when I wake up but its not working. I have made sure there is fruit easily assessable for me, that way instead of eating cookies I will eat a banana.
  • balls2thewall
    Options
    The fruit is a good idea! I've recently rediscoverd the love of strawberries, you can have a good amount for such few calories. Gum always stirs up hunger for me though. I'm thinking of locking myself out of the house forcing myself to sleep in the backyard until I can get this under control, just like a raccoon, course... I do believe raccoons probably eat better than I do on some days. For two days I didn't wake up once... But it could be because I went to bed at 2a. So do I walk around exhausted and not get up to eat... Or do I just sleep and continue the cycle. Two of the worst solutions. I hope you have has better luck!
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    I have a steady supply of bananas and apples at my disposal, readily available in a location easier to get to than the refrigerator. Lately I have been hitting the fruit up faster than anything from the refrigerator. So, as long as I have them stocked up I will be good to go for now. I will give an update in a week or two to let you all know how it is going.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Counting the calories I ate the previous night for the current morning is working well. I was loosing fat slowly but now I am dropping fat much quicker. I have now dropped 6 percent in 6 months, which I think is pretty stellar.
  • Kelcey2313
    Kelcey2313 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am seeing this is a super old discussion, But i was wondering if either of you 2 found something that has made you stop this behavior. I have had it for about 4 years now and have tried everything to stop -- locking and taping doors, leaving small things out instead. The only thing that helps is if i sleep out or next to a boy, but I am single now and thats not really a solution lol as I want to conquer this without depending on others. I have tried almost anything and sleep medication makes it worse actually. Any advice is much appreciated as I am gaining now and although still not overweight, I am depressed and mortified with myself every morning.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Intermittent fasting has helped me. I will send you some articles on it. Basically you have a feeding window and fast the rest of the day. My feeding window is between 12:30pm and 7:30pm. During this time I take in all my calories for the day. As long as you eat healthy and stay away from food items with simple carbs you have to stuff yourself to get in all the calories. When I wake up in the middle of the night I am still stuffed and in the morning I am fully awake and can keep myself from eating until noon.
  • balls2thewall
    Options
    Hi! Thank you for the articles! Definitely going to read them. I have been skipping breakfast as of late and doing an intermediate fast. I don't eat between the hours of 8a through around 1-2p. Not sure how that's working, but I figured if I'm hell bent on eating at 1 or 2 in the morning then I certainly can't justify eating breakfast. Somehow I have to figure this out. Now instead of waking up to eat I eat food before I go to bed, it's morphed into an entirely different animal. The worst part of it all is I'm not even hungry but will still eat! I'm so happy you've found something that's working for you and thanks so much for sharing
  • balls2thewall
    Options
    Kelcey2313 I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone! It's so disturbing. I don't understand it.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Balls2thewall. Have you ever considered not eating during the day, that way you can eat all your calories at night?