That Sugar Film

Options
Sajyana
Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
I couldn't remember if it's been discussed here and the search function is hair-pullingly frustrating (and that's being kind).

imdb.com/title/tt3892434/

We watched this on the weekend. It's an Australian film that delivers observations and information in a very easily digested format. The man putting his body on the line has close medical and nutritional supervision. The differences in his blood work speak volumes all on their own. It isn't very scientific but gives a very good all round, easy to watch account of how sugar can affect your body.

The hubby watched it with me and as soon as it was finished talked about giving up Coke and the breakfast cereal he enjoys daily. I've been gradually eliminating most added sugar from the house and it's been quite successful. Except for the teenager who still brings home a 600 ml bottle of Coke twice a week. Sometimes he swaps it for Coke Zero because his friend drinks it. Despite this, on the whole, sugar is a treat. I'm going to have the kids sit down and watch this. I think it will surprise them just how much sugar can affect your body. They already read labels. A habit they've picked up from me. I make it easier to convert grams to teaspoons by saying to divide it by 5. It's easier than dividing by 4 and gives them a fairly good idea of how much sugar is the product.

Watch it. Kids over about 10/11 yo would gain a lot from it as well.

Replies

• tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. It looks worth watching :smiley:
  • smuller73
    smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I read about this film the other day. Really want to see it now.
  • Xanifur
    Xanifur Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It was OK
    I've seen much better docs on sugar, and the whole thing was anecdotal and seemed too unscientific.
    I avoid sugars.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I will put this on my "to-watch" list... might even view it tonight while hubby is out playing poker.
    Xanifur wrote: »
    It was OK
    I've seen much better docs on sugar, and the whole thing was anecdotal and seemed too unscientific.
    I avoid sugars.

Which ones do you rate? I'd love some more suggestions....
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I'll watch it eventually. I'm in no rush though. Mostly because I am cheap.

My only question is, how is dividing by 5 easier than dividing by 4, especially when you're looking for an approximation? Both of those are simple mental calculations (4 you just halve the number twice and 5 you double it and shift it down a decimal point).

47 / 4 -> ~24 -> 12
    47 / 5 -> 94 -> 9.4

They are both pretty quick but dividing by 5 gives you the impression of consuming fewer teaspoons than you actually are. Granted, the easiest method of all is just leaving everything in grams and knowing how many grams you're looking to stay under per day.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I just think it's easier for most people to visualize a teaspoon... really, I think they should list both.
  • Sajyana
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I'll watch it eventually. I'm in no rush though. Mostly because I am cheap.

My only question is, how is dividing by 5 easier than dividing by 4, especially when you're looking for an approximation? Both of those are simple mental calculations (4 you just halve the number twice and 5 you double it and shift it down a decimal point).

47 / 4 -> ~24 -> 12
    47 / 5 -> 94 -> 9.4

They are both pretty quick but dividing by 5 gives you the impression of consuming fewer teaspoons than you actually are. Granted, the easiest method of all is just leaving everything in grams and knowing how many grams you're looking to stay under per day.

I did this for the kids when they were younger. They just found it easier. I'm an accountant by trade. My maths is good. ;)

• Sajyana
    Options
    Xanifur wrote: »
    It was OK
    I avoid sugars.

I agree. It wasn't very scientific but it put the message in a context that was easy to digest. I feel it's important to educate kids about nutrition and this appears to be an effective way to get across the message about excess sugar. Added sugar in particular.