Ideas for the August Challenge?

Options
toadqueen
toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
I have been very excited to participate in the July challenge. It has helped a lot in keeping me motivated and staying on track. I am sad to have missed the May challenge - I am going meat and fat only as of this morning and see how it goes.

I was thinking maybe August Adventures - where each week we try a LCHF food or recipe that we never had before? I am rather new to the group so I am not sure if this idea has already been done.

I am fond of alliteration.

Replies

• azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I have been very excited to participate in the July challenge. It has helped a lot in keeping me motivated and staying on track. I am sad to have missed the May challenge - I am going meat and fat only as of this morning and see how it goes.

I was thinking maybe August Adventures - where each week we try a LCHF food or recipe that we never had before? I am rather new to the group so I am not sure if this idea has already been done.

I am fond of alliteration.

I would like to do an August Challenge, too! I love the name you picked; August Adventures.... sounds like fun.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    August Adventures.... Love it! Great idea!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I am willing to bet we'd have plenty of interested people.
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would love to try, if I find time.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    New food = no brainer for me. :) I love to eat!
  • mizzougal11
    mizzougal11 Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Definitely interested. Might help bring me out of my lurkdom!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    In for August Adventures. Nice suggestion.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So are you going to provide a food category? Or suggestions? Or are we supposed to pick something at random? More info please.

Edited to add: Thinks like coconut flakes, hemp hearts, and cocoa butter are on my eventually list, but are currently cost prohibitive (plus I don't like coconut at all!)...LOL
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new at low carb cooking but I love to cook so anything is good but like some people have said cost restrictions could apply. I am retired and living on a fixed income.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My original thought was to do our own adventures and derive more ideas from the group as we post our progress. I'm flexible.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My original thought was to do our own adventures and derive more ideas from the group as we post our progress. I'm flexible.

That.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that unstructured for me, and I know I won't do it. I tend to be an all or nothing person... LOL Lame, I know.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options

Sounds good, our first is going to be that cheeseburger pie that showed up yesterday. :)

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I can experiment with a new super high-fat dish as part of my meal preps every week that I keep just for my lunches!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Great idea!

What if you could choose either:

A. Try this recipe
    B. Try this ingredient
    Or
    C. Swap x in your diet for y (I.e. Try almond milk instead of HWC in your coffee, try a different ground meat in place of ground beef)

And post to let us know how your experiment went.

Too complicated?
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    TWO food type suggestions:
    1. Capella Flavors- sold by Netrition.com…I am adding "Pralines & Cream" to plain iced coffee, or "sugar Cookie" and "Lemon Merangue Pie" to cream cheese for a cheesecake taste. ( about 50 flavors- 1 drop per oz- $2.36 a bottle...amazing ways to add flavor to the same foods you consume. (I add blueberry flavor+ Fewer real blueberries to my shakes-saves carbs)

2nd. For OTHER great protein consider adding Hulled Hempseed (aka hemp hearts)..3 tbl provides 10 gr. protein with ALL essential Amino Acids, AND REAL food-based Magnesium- get 50% of RDA in those same 3 tbl!!
    (since most agribiz veggies grown now are deficient in any normal amount of iron/calcium/magnesium, etc.)

this protein is so mildly flavored (kinda like walnut) that you can bake great muffin with it + almond flour, or add into soups, fried/steamed foods. Stirfry in coconut oil then add eggs for a nutty dish, toast them and top other foods, grind them and add to cream cheese to bulk up a cheesecake, and provide protein+fat in your dessert.
    I also melt 100% cacao chips, add HWC, stevia, butter, and hempseed-chia seeds-pecans, etc. for a chocolate candy treat

If you tire of all meat all the time this gives you a great change of pace, and can be eaten raw out of the bag
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas that don't require anything exotic or expensive. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm in for August challenge! New recipies will be fun, and learning from all of you, even better!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @toadqueen, let us know how being meativore works for you! I love it! The May challenge changed my life!! Best of luck to you! :smiley:
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 207 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @toadqueen, let us know how being meativore works for you! I love it! The May challenge changed my life!! Best of luck to you! :smiley:

I have to try the meativore sometime, but for right now, the August Adventures works for me! New foods, new recipes, just what I need.