Nut carbs. How much actually counts?

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
I kicked the protein bar habit and not only use nuts for snacks.
Kirkland snack pack multi pack box conveniently has 10 packs each of 1.6oz cashews, peanuts, and almonds. They list 12,10 and 8 grams of carbs respectively. Likewise their GI's are pretty low. 22, 14, 0 respectively.
How much of those carbs is actually fiber bound and not absorbed? Seems like the almond carbs would are not absorbed at all based on GI.
I have 1 pack of each through my work day.

[I am cutting out as much processed food as I can. Still keeping the Combat protein powder though.]

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Cashews are sugary. I eat them for energy doing endurance type exercise

One way to look at it is see them as good fuel when you do long term cardio

You get slow release carbs at a low rate so your muscles source fat as fuel.

You can train your muscles / mitochondria to burn a more fat rich fuel mix.

I do exactly this for 20-40 mile bike rides. I want to be fat adapted. There is much on google on this and I have a thread of weekly updates.

Interesting body we have. You can switch it from being primarily a carb burner to more of a fat furnace
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My morning 4 mile swim is fueled by 'stored energy" and 1 scoop of Combat Protein :)
    That puts me about -1350 before I get to the office. Not a bad start to the day.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you want lower carb nuts try macadamias (highest fat to carb ratio), walnuts, and pecans. They all taste great raw and unsalted.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    If you want lower carb nuts try macadamias (highest fat to carb ratio), walnuts, and pecans. They all taste great raw and unsalted.

Planters salted roasted pecans are evil. They taste so good that's its really hard to eat one serving! :angry:

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    93 pounds down, 31 to go.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Planters salted roasted pecans are evil. They taste so good that's its really hard to eat one serving! :angry:

I hope this helps,
    Keto / IF / Sedentary

We don't buy pecans unless we have plans for them because they're just.too.good.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I hope this helps,
    Keto / IF / Sedentary

We don't buy pecans unless we have plans for them because they're just.too.good.
    That's why we buy them raw and unsalted, lol.