High blood sugar low carb

Options
chaoticdreams
chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
So I've been pretty strictly 20g or less for a month since yesterday and while the inches seem to be shifting, the scale isn't. My mother said I could be having insulin problems, so I tested my blood sugar last night after dinner and it was 177, then 143 two hours later. This morning my fasting was 123. Now, my mother has type 1 diabetes and I told her these results and she says they are high. So I went to the doctor first thing this am and was told, nope, just overreacting, those are normal for my weight/condition. (230 lbs)

Um.... those don't seem normal to me, especially since I've cut out carbs and sugar for a month now. I know I wasn't diabetic because my at work tests for insurance came back okay, 92 fasting, still high but not too dramatic. That was less than 10 months ago and I was eating like crap at the time. At most I may have been prediabetic.

I guess I'm just curious as to why it would peak so high now? My mother was told to eat low carb to help her health, my aunt with type 2 the same, and they are fine-ish. (Mom not so much, but that's just the toll type 1 takes, not her diet). On my maternal side type 1 is very prevalent and on my paternal side, type 2. I figure I'm just in the genetic sweet spot to develop some kind of sugar problem. That being said, could this possibly be why the scale refuses to budge? If so, anything I can do to help it? My Dr. apparently thinks I'm fine. :| Other than slightly high blood pressure in the past, which is normal now, I have no condition that I am aware of.

So I guess my condition is I'm just fat? I'm going to keep monitoring my blood glucose, but anyone else have any experience with higher blood glucose while low carbing? Small town and crap doctors and my husband's doctor isn't taking new patients, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe I am just overreacting.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mine dropped after about 3 months. Fasting went from 111 to 83. Your fasting of 92 is good. Maybe your home readings are off?

In any case, give it more time. LC has a better chance of working than any other approach. Exercise will also help, especially for insulin resistance of muscle.

In terms of weight loss, LC is not the only factor. Calories still matter.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Being fat and insulin resistant does make your numbers higher. Mine have been trending downward from 150-200 on Keto ten months ago, but now after losing 90+ lbs, (30+ to go) they have come down dramatically. Now they range from 96 to 140's and I couldn't be more pleased. I had my first reading under 100 the other day (fasting) and was high fiving myself.. :)

Here are some links if you want to see my experience in regards to diabetes, fasting, BG levels, etc. Glean what you can from them. But the main thing is for you to lose weight and stay low carb/keto. It takes time and weight loss to remedy the situation.

DittoDan's Blood Work Results 6-18-2015
    Blog #9 Fasting, Diabetic ~ Glucose/Sugar Levels
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated

KCKO!

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    93 pounds down, 31 to go.
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well, as a Type 2 (Metformin only), I try to keep my BS below 120 even after meals. An isolated BS that is high or even a few are not indicative of diabetes, however considering the genetic component, it would be something that I would keep a loose eye on. Although, eating LC does most certainly work in your favor.

Did your physician suggest an A1c? That is a lab test that is somewhat like a BS "average" over a 2-3 month span. Was your fasting of 92 done as a finger stick before eating in the am or was it a glucose tolerance test?
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    LCHF dieters DO HAVE HIGHER BG. I posted these articles from Chris Kessler
    When your “normal” blood sugar isn’t normal (Part 1)
    on Nov. 12, 2010 by CHRIS KRESSER

http://chriskresser.com/when-your-normal-blood-sugar-isnt-normal-part-1/
    http://chriskresser.com/when-your-“normal”-blood-sugar-isn’t-normal-part-2/

here is a 3rd article.
    http://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16/

I am now testing post meals, and seeing a good drop because my carbs are VL, AND I am testing to see how much Erythritol will increase it..Stevia seems to work (plain liquid type ) when I used the white powder Stevia I saw it was mostly Dextrose… Mixing Stevia and Erythritol is Truvia and other brands…Dr. Bernstein in his Diabetes book says Erythritol DOES raise his BG, and may for many others.

finding what works for each of us is a process...
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't feel bad. I feel great in fact. I don't really know what's up with the numbers, and I've read the above links plus many people saying protein is turning to glucose. Cut back some today and I might just start IF again as that seemed to lower my food intake in general. I'm not eating over 1500 cals a day and most days only 1200-1300, so I don't think it's that. I try to work out some if I go over 1400.

I'm going to monitor it and keep on keeping on as I don't feel bad. It was just really strange to me and due to my family history caused a moment of panic. I'm feeling a bit better now although my mother is insisting I see an endocrinologist. Probably wouldn't hurt I guess.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    IN general, I'm of the opinion that it never hurts to get a second opinion, particularly a more educated one...

My issues are kind of the flip of yours... Should be interesting to see how your trends continue.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Losing fat releases glucose into your blood. The fact that it is less 2 hours after eating shows your insulin is working. Give it time, it'll settle. Just my experience.