why do calories not count on low carb?

Options
karirenae
karirenae Posts: 106 Member
I have a desk job, so im sitting all day. my TDEE supposedly like 1700 ish and im eating that at least but usually under 20g.. so how am I still losing without technically losing any weight? How does it work?!

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Calories do count.

I count calories and eat low carb

145 lbs of fat lost.

Counted calories all the way.

There are some inefficiencies in the burning of body fat to get glucose from
    What I understand but I don't think anyone says calories don't matter.

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Calories count for me. Most days I am satisfied and under my 1900 calorie goal, but some days I feel like I could eat a horse.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I say calories don't matter. :tongue:

At least, you don't need to count or intentionally restrict them.

I am at Disney right now, so I can't get into explaining it in depth at the moment. The short answer is that you don't get to choose how your body allocates calorie usage, so attempting to control it by limiting your intake artificially is just causing unneeded stress and making things harder on yourself.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    They do count, but low carb tends to make people less hungry, thus you don't have to necessarily count calories. If you don't eat when you're really hungry your body has a stress response, releasing cortisol, which makes it harder to lose weight. Each body has a natural ideal weight(more like an ideal range probably) that it wants to be in, so if you're in tune with your bodies hunger/lack there of signals you will eventually return to that range as long as you remain mindful of eating only when you're actually hungry and not for emotional/other reasons.

Interesting bit about cortisol

I know I do like a piece of steak at times

Nothing else will do.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    They count, but I find that when eating LCHF I am most often under my calorie goal. The high carb things I used to eat had to be watched closely for calorie count or else I would go over my calorie goals.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    They do count, but low carb tends to make people less hungry, thus you don't have to necessarily count calories. If you don't eat when you're really hungry your body has a stress response, releasing cortisol, which makes it harder to lose weight. Each body has a natural ideal weight(more like an ideal range probably) that it wants to be in, so if you're in tune with your bodies hunger/lack there of signals you will eventually return to that range as long as you remain mindful of eating only when you're actually hungry and not for emotional/other reasons.

While I have the same question/experience as @karirenae your post does help. Thanks
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    They definitely count! But I quickly found that the majority of my calories were coming from hig carb foods. Once I cut those out, I am actually having to make up some calories at the end of the day.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Calories definitely do count. Keto is NOT MAGIC despite what some people will tell you. The idea that you don't need to count calories is based on the theory that you will be less hungry and naturally eat at a deficit on low carb. This is true for some people. Not true for alot of people. Fat is very high in calories. If you eat what you would think is a "normal sized" meal that is high in fat you are almost definitely going to be eating too many calories. It's the most common reason people give up on eating low carb. The whole "I'm only eating 20g carbs a day and I'm not losing weight, this diet doesn't work". I can eat 20g carbs a day and still consume 3000 cals if I don't track. There's no way I'm losing weight on 3000 cals a day.[/quote

This x100

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I think this style of eating tends to focus on meeting your macros first, calorie intake second. So while I definitely agree that calories count, the main goal should be to meet the proper macros (and calories should then pretty much fall into place). I'm still trying to find my sweet spot for macros so I can easily be more consistent, but I don't completely ignore calories.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Actually I have consumed a whole cup of heavy cream in a sitting, and still munched through a whole bag of porkrinds after....
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    It is a funny thing the way low carb works on appetite

I may eat nothing till 2:00 then eat cuz I need to feed the machine

And eat a pound hunk of ribeye

Still that is under 1600 calories

I do count calories

But I don't often get close

If I get a 20+ mile ride in it does not get close without work
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Actually I have consumed a whole cup of heavy cream in a sitting, and still munched through a whole bag of porkrinds after....

Plain heavy cream? The second time I did it, I had to sweeten it just to make it tolerable. How were your total calories that day? How many days in a row did you manage to eat well beyond your TDEE?

I am not saying it is impossible to eat after consuming that much, just that is gets rapidly unappealing. Especially if you've been at or above your calories the previous day(s). I was trying to hit over 4000 calories those days (well, except one time when I just wanted a cup of butter) and can tell you the thought of another cup/stick is just disgusting.

Pork rinds with melted butter... that I could totally do!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    All this talk has made me sort of want a big cup of heavy cream. Lol

Of course, the reality is less fun than the thought.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    For me calories count (matter), but you don't have to count (total)** (**if you eat food ONLY when you are truly hungry on LCHF (and have no alcoholic beverages etc..))

And I know they count if you are a post-menopausal, 5'1, sedentary, BMI 31, w/little muscle mass..

Plain Heavy Cream? Consuming too much, unappealing? Not in my world, and not if you whip it, add vanilla and berries.. I see your one cup and raise you 4. HAHA
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Lol. In fairness, whipped with vanilla and berries isn't exactly plain. I was trying to control the carbs by avoiding those. The sweeteners also made it a lot easier when I added those. That's why I am convinced that anyone could do it sweetened. It is like the sweetness hides how fatty it is from your senses.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I find I do not have to worry about cals if I stay within my macro guidelines. Some days I eat 1400 cals- other days I eat 2400-- I eat based on how hungry I am. If I eat carbs, my cals can be way higher with a lot more hunger and I feel like poo-- so for the most part, I prefer staying on track just because I feel so much better when I do. Also, I am getting used to (and actually find myself liking) feeling a little "lighter" by not eating til I am way full. These days for the most part I prefer to eat until I am just satisfied-- and generally that also works to keep my cals down.

I am not a fan of "fat bombs" per se because they do not seem to do much about my hunger. Protein fills me up mad quick, though.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Fit - I hear ya.. To be fair, I can't overindulge Every night, -- not unless I have a Mr. Creosote's wafer thin mint.