Recipe request

sweetteadrinker2
sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
Anyone have a cream of mushroom soup recipe? The campbells condensed is one of my favorites, but the carbs on it are insane! I'm really missing it recently for some reason.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    This one is linked from Reddit, but it isn't specifically, keto, but more keto-friendly. But I love Ina Garten, personally.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cream-of-wild-mushroom-soup-recipe.html

The was another listed on the thread...

http://freecoconutrecipes.com/creamy-roasted-cauliflower-and-mushroom-soup/

It just got weird from there...

Now here we go, bona fide Keto: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/cream-of-mushroom-soup/

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
    Campbell’s Soup = 166 calories, 10g fat, 6.2g protein, 14 carbs, 2g fiber
    “Healthified” Soup = 155 calories, 13g fat, 6.4g protein, 5.9 carbs, 1.3g fiber

This is the lady popular for cream cheese clouds, but hers is higher in carbs than above:
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_of_mushroom_soup.html
    Per batch: 873 Calories; 90g Fat; 8g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs (batch is about 1 cup)

That's just quick from Mr. Google. Personally, I'd probably go with the first one (couldn't find nutritional data) or the Maria Mind Body Health one, just based on other experience with their recipes.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,073 Member
    Holy Smokes, mushroom soup is my favorite ! I made some yesterday. I used to love Campbell's too, but will not eat any processed food anymore, too much weird stuff in there.

I always have homemade chicken bone broth in the freezer ready for when I want to make soup. Yesterday I made a small pot of soup with 2 servings. I don't use a recipe, but just use what I have. I used approximately:

1 lb mushrooms - I used white, but sometimes use cremini or assorted gourmet mushrooms
    4 Tbsp butter
    1.5 ? c chicken stock
    1/2 c heavy whipping cream

Sometimes when trying to recreate the soup i grew up with, I will spend the time to chop the mushrooms into little "Campbell's" cubes, but usually I just chop.
    Saute mushrooms in butter until reduced a bit, add stock and simmer for about 10 minutes. I season as I go
    Use immersion blender to blend into a puree. I left mine a bit chunky.
    Add cream at the end, and salt and pepper to taste, and maybe a little more butter.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    YUM, thanks guys! I knew I had to be overthinking it.
  • Kitnthecat
    Soup has been my favorite food all my life. I rarely use a recipe, it's easy to make @sweetteadrinker ! And cream soups are great for keto. You can make any variety you want as long as you stay away from the higher carb count veggies.

I have many flavours of bone broth in the freezer ready to be pulled out to make soup. And sometimes I just make a tiny amount, just one bowl for me. Doesn't take long at all.

Saute chopped veggies in butter, add not too much stock or the soup may be too thin. Either leave in chunks, mash with a potato masher, use an immersion blender, or sometimes I blend in my Vitamix if I want a velvetty smooth texture. Add cream and butter and everything tastes good. Season to your taste.

How about cream of broccoli or cauliflower with cheese on top ?

Cream of chicken soup, or chicken pot pie soup ?

Cream of anything soup to be used as a sauce for anything ? In days gone by, many of us would use cans of cream of mushroom or celery or whatnot soup in recipes, why not make your own ?

Asparagus !...etc, etc....
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Holy Smokes, mushroom soup is my favorite ! I made some yesterday. I used to love Campbell's too, but will not eat any processed food anymore, too much weird stuff in there.

I always have homemade chicken bone broth in the freezer ready for when I want to make soup. Yesterday I made a small pot of soup with 2 servings. I don't use a recipe, but just use what I have. I used approximately:

1 lb mushrooms - I used white, but sometimes use cremini or assorted gourmet mushrooms
    4 Tbsp butter
    1.5 ? c chicken stock

Sometimes when trying to recreate the soup i grew up with, I will spend the time to chop the mushrooms into little "Campbell's" cubes, but usually I just chop.
    Saute mushrooms in butter until reduced a bit, add stock and simmer for about 10 minutes. I season as I go
    Add cream at the end, and salt and pepper to taste, and maybe a little more butter.

I need to make this...soon! I adore mushroom soup and this sounds tasty!
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member

4 Tbsp butter
    1.5 ? c chicken stock

I'm going to use this as a replacement for the campbells cream of mushroom soup in my favorite roast beef recipe! I bet it would be good using holy trinity!! yum! thanks for sharing :smile:
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member

4 Tbsp butter
    1.5 ? c chicken stock

Yum! Maybe add a bit a xanthan gum if you want the thickness for recipes?
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    @Keto_T I just bought xanthan gum for the first time this morning at publix! How much should I add, maybe 1/2 tsp??
  • Kitnthecat
    Just try experimenting with amounts. I've used xanthan gum in the past, as well as a bit of arrowroot powder, especially if I am using the Vitamix. I also like a bit of quinoa flour too as a thickener ( love the smell of it, it smells like the earth). When thickening a gravy, I use half and half arrowroot and quinoa flour, but only when I feel I can spare the carbs. If carbs are a a concern, I don't use a thickening agent, I just blend up the veggies to make it naturally thick, and make sure I don't use too much liquid.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Someone talked about making a mushroom type "flour" out of dried mushrooms to use as a thickener. You can buy dehydrated mushrooms at any asian market cheaply. Just a thought.
  • Kitnthecat
    Oh Knit, that's a great idea !!!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    luvmyleo wrote: »
    @Keto_T I just bought xanthan gum for the first time this morning at publix! How much should I add, maybe 1/2 tsp??

I very little goes a LONG way...start tiny and work up. I guess if you add too much you could add more liquid if need be and blend. I've had to do that before. Sorry I cant give a more definitive answer. I use it infrequently and always guess.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Keto_T wrote: »
    luvmyleo wrote: »

I very little goes a LONG way...start tiny and work up. I guess if you add too much you could add more liquid if need be and blend. I've had to do that before. Sorry I cant give a more definitive answer. I use it infrequently and always guess.

When you add it, sprinkle it lightly and blend it in immediately. It clumps up like flour in a bad gravy... I would rather use a teensy bit of cornstarch because that functions without an attitude.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    I have had success with sprinkling the xantham gum onto my sautee and whisking it in before adding liquid. This helps it disburse throughout the recipe.

here is an interesting article about xantham gum for those who are adventurous and/or into modernist cooking... ;)

http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-ingredients/more/xanthan-gum
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    OMG I just surfed from the Ina mushroom soup recipe posted above to THIS. (I must try it!)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/filet-mignon-with-mustard-cream-and-wild-mushrooms-recipe.html?ic1=obinsite
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    I just saute mushrooms in butter then add about 1/4 cup beef stock. Then add cream cheese and sour cream. Salt and pepper. Might sound weird but it tastes good.
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    tested recipe Mushroom soup ( omit the flour and if you want it thicker just add a bit of cornstach to cold water and mix in)

INGREDIENTS

Metric Imperial
    500 g mushrooms 1 lb mushrooms
    90 g butter 3 oz butter
    2 medium onions, chopped 2 medium onions, chopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed 1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 tablespoons plain flour 2 tablespoons plain flour
    1 litre hot chicken stock 2 pints hot chicken stock
    1 bay leaf 1 bay leaf
    ½ cup cream 4 fl oz cream
    Salt and freshly ground black
    pepper Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Start by cleaning the mushrooms with a damp cloth and chop the caps and stems.

This part is rather tedious, it takes quite a while to chop the the veg, but it is worthwhile as it takes less time for the soup to cook.

Now, heat up the butter in a medium pan and cook the garlic and onions until they're soft but not browned.

The next step is to add the mushrooms, and cook over a high heat for 3 minutes whilst stirring constantly.

Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, mix well to combine.

Stir in the flour and mix well, making sure all the mushrooms are well coated.

Pour in the hot chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add the bay leaf and simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf and leave the soup to cool for a few minutes.

Place the soup in a food processor or if you have a hand blender this is much easier to use.

Blend well till smooth, it may be necessary to do this in two batches.

Rinse the saucepan and return to soup, season with salt and pepper and reheat until boiling.
    Stir in the cream.....and finished.

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_of_mushroom_soup.html used this recipe many times. Husband even loves it. I don't use the optional xanthan gum and it turns out well without it. Some grated or shredded cheese stirred in at the end makes it even better.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Yummy. Sounds like I should get a few pounds of mushrooms. These soups will up my calories nicely.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited July 2015
    I sautéed mushrooms, garlic, and onion in butter, added beef stock, and blended. Awesome on top of steak, burgers, etc. I keep it in tiny mason jars in my freezer. Not quite mushroom soup, but still tasty and could easily add cream and only blend until chunky.
  • Kitnthecat
    Yum !