Cheeseburger pie review

Options
nicsflyingcircus
nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
My review of Cheeseburger pie:

First off, I had to alter the proportions a little, because I had 22oz of ground beef, not 2 lbs. It still made a ton.

8 Ingredients

22.00 ounce, Beef - Ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, raw (hamburger)
1.50 tbsp, Dried Minced Onions
4.00 Tbs (30ml), Heavy Whipping Cream- Actual Carb Count
1.00 tsp, Morton Lite Salt
0.50 tsp, ground, Spices, pepper, black
12.00 oz, Cheese, cheddar
3.00 egg (50g), Grade A Eggs - Large
90.00 g, Real Mayonnaise

Observation; super greasy. And that is even after I cut way back on the mayo (70% of one cup is about 168 grams, I used 90). Even only using 90g of mayo and 1/4 cup hwc, it had more than enough moisture. These are the stats per 100g serving: 360 calories, 1 carb, 31 fat, 22 protein

It was tasty, but if I was to make it again, I would use leaner beef (no, I didn't drain), like 85%, and less mayo too (perhaps 50-75g) and I would likely crisp about 1/2-3/4 pound of bacon and crumble it up into the topmost cheese layer before baking.

Overall, probably about a 3/5 as it was made today. I'd have enjoyed a regular burger with cheese and mayo more.

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    That's unfortunate, because I totally wanted to try this. I still may. Glad you posted this review!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the review!
  • happylifex10
    happylifex10 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday as well, and found it a bit greasy (I drained it but used 70-30 not lean beef) and drained off some of the grease from the top before serving. I was nice and moist. I used 3 eggs instead of 4 due to the other comments about it being eggie and used only 3/4 of the cheese. I added chopped onion and chopped red pepper and used garlic salt instead of onion salt. I would make it again...it was pretty tasty
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    How heavy was a serving? Ground beef is quite greasy isn't it. I like it though, it is winter here and the grease is nice on my dry lips!
  • happylifex10
    happylifex10 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    lean ground beef is definitely not as greasy but getting very expensive and the 70/30 or 80/20 has more flavour in my opinion. The receipe makes a huge amount...I had a serving and a 1/2 and was stuffed
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    How heavy was a serving? Ground beef is quite greasy isn't it. I like it though, it is winter here and the grease is nice on my dry lips!

I broke it down into 100g "servings" by weighing the finished product. The nutrition information I gave in my OP was for that serving size.

Everyone in my house (my husband and 4 kids) ate it and nobody complained, as I said, I will just try some tweaks to improve it for me personally :)

And the ground beef didn't seem that greasy (80/20 undrained) before it went in the pan, I think it was combination of beef grease, cheese grease and the mayo.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I made it too. I used
    800g beef
    1 onion,
    1/2 c mayo
    1/4 c cream
    ~1-1.5 c shredded old cheddar
    Montreal steak spice, salt, garlic
    4 eggs

My husband and I pigged out and both ate about a quarter of this each. I probably should have eaten less since I was almost uncomfortably full. Hubby commented a few times on how good it was. I really liked it.

It was greasy but I like greasy. Greasy bacon, greasy meatballs... I rarely drain the fat off of meat.

I'll make it again soon.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I made it too. I used
    800g beef
    1 onion,
    1/2 c mayo
    1/4 c cream
    4 eggs

My husband and I pigged out and both ate about a quarter of this each. I probably should have eaten less since I was almost uncomfortably full. Hubby commented a few times on how good it was. I really liked it.

It was greasy but I like greasy. Greasy bacon, greasy meatballs... I rarely drain the fat off of meat.

I'll make it again soon.

I like greasy too, but when I pulled it out of the oven, there was a large pooling of liquid grease all the way around the edges of the pan. Eh..... no thanks. I prefer my grease to at least sort of stick to the meat, heh.

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It's so cool that you know the fat to meat ratio of your ground meats overseas. Here it's just 'premium' 'prime' and what I call 'cheap and cheerful'.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I made it too. I used
    800g beef
    1 onion,
    1/2 c mayo
    1/4 c cream
    4 eggs

I'll make it again soon.

I like greasy too, but when I pulled it out of the oven, there was a large pooling of liquid grease all the way around the edges of the pan. Eh..... no thanks. I prefer my grease to at least sort of stick to the meat, heh.

Ah. Gotcha. Maybe my extra egg helped incorporate the grease?
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm making this tonight too, my non keto OH demanded it when he saw the recipe. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Silly question - is OH Other Half? I've just seen this a lot lately and wondered, because I could definitely steal the reference!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reviews...this is on my list in the que. :)