Starting Yoga - 30 days

Options
slimzandra
slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
I know this is a Low Carber Forum, and this is a bit off topic, but now that I've lost some weight with support from this group, I can now bend over to reach my ankles! Hoot.

I want to now supplement my diet success with some additional physical activity. I mostly walk, swim, do a few hand weights, planks and squats. I've been out of shape for too long. Approching mid-50s I'm realizing how badly. Getting my diet in order was the first accomplishment I've made. I'm happy with the way things are going.

In August, I'm planning on starting a serious attempt to add something different. I found a free 30 day yoga program with Adriene on YouTube. (She also has a 40 mins. Yoga for Weight loss. which I can't really do yet, but it is motivational.) I've watched a few vids and tried it. Funny, it looks a lot different when you are only 5'2" and very overweight. Most of videos are about 30-40 minutes. I'm going to start my mornings with a routine. Right now, I last about 20 minutes, but the stretching feels great. I'm going to search to see if there is a yoga group on MFP that might start with me in August. If anyone here wants to do 30 days of Yoga starting 8.1. that would be great. I feel like I already know some of you as my e-buds in this journey!

Here is the intro Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXU591OYOHA&index=1&list=PLui6Eyny-UzwxbWCWDbTzEwsZnnROBTIL

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I cannot join you because of health reasons but you have my full support!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I might join you. I'm almost at goal but want to firm up and each time I try a lifting program I end up with neck and shoulder spasms after a week. Yoga /Pilates has worked for me in the past.
  • efischer90
    efischer90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im down to try!!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Very cool! I have done lots of yoga over the past 10 years, and I can vouch that it will strengthen, lengthen and challenge you in myriad ways. It can be endurance exercise, too. It can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it.

I have managed to either injure myself or aggravate existing problems when I pushed myself too hard in Yoga classes. There's no shame in slowing down, modifying, not taking the most challenging form of each pose, and/or holding back when you need to. But on the whole, it's non-impact, safe exercise.

I'm very focused on Pilates and Barre Fit and my PT exercises for plantar fasciitis at the moment. But I'd be happy to get in on this at least one day per week, if that's okay with you, @slimzandra.
  • slimzandra
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Looking forward to it, mlinton. Thanks for the tips. Depending on how many want to check in for 30days, I might keep a thread going here, do updates on a friend list, or create a mini group for 30 days under the Fitness and Exercise Message Board. I will check with the moderators, to see what the politically correct thing to do is with exercise related stuff, not specific to LC. I searched MFP Groups for an existing yoga group, but didn't find one. I'm thinking I will probably move this over under Fitness. I'm just used to posting in the Groups. Thanks.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I recommend finding a good teacher in your community and taking a few classes. It helps to have a real, live teacher in the room to correct your postures and to get the most out of the asanas. Correct form is a must and will help to prevent injury. I also recommend you avoid any "hot yoga" classes - doing asanas in a superheated room is a modern gimmick and is not necessary to achieve the benefits of yoga.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try it, although my schedule is pretty hectic, so I may miss one here and there.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of yoga, I've done group classes and at home but have never enjoyed it. I think my mind just can't concentrate enough to be mindful and wonders off, and I get bored with it after 10 minutes. I did like some of the PIYO but didn't stick to it. What's wrong with me?
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I need more flexibility for my weight lifting and was thinking to try yoga.
  • juliegayleh
    juliegayleh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'll do it with you. I have done it before and got to day 5 or 6 then missed a few days and never started back. I like her videos. No pressure to do a "perfect " pose.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I love Yoga with Adriene!!! She is amazing... her "Yoga for hangovers" video has literally saved me when I've been on the verge of death.

I wish I could commit to this right now, but with my I'm already doing Yoga at a studio 3-5 times a week...

Please keep us posted and good luck!!!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am nearing the end of a 30day yoga challenge at the Bikram yoga studio where I practice-- otherwise I would join in! I LOVE yoga and have found it tremendously helpful in gaining strength and health. Enjoy!
  • slimzandra
    Options
    I appreciate your comments and interest. I just wanted to let you know that I did start a new group called "30 Day Yoga Accountable in August Starting August 1st 2015." Good luck finding it, a group search on Yoga doesn't bring it up. Anyone is welcome. I'm only going to keep it open for August. The instructor is not a low carber, but from what I've watched so far, she keeps the dialogue to yoga. If you want to try some yoga in addition to other challenges, it should be an interesting month.