closet cauliflower convert

Options
deksgrl
deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
So, I was never a big fan of cauliflower. It just sort of tasted like nothing to me. And it used to annoy me to see all of these cauliflower substitutes for different things. I have even friended people on MFP over a mutual dislike of cauliflower. But now after trying a couple of different recipes I have to concede that it's not so bad after all. But don't tell anybody!

Last night I made a cauliflower risotto recipe and it was really quite good.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    traitor.jpg
  • deksgrl
    Options
    lol
  • deksgrl
    Options
    It probably didn't help that my mother used to make this vile dish, cauliflower, onions and eggs fried up in vegetable oil. Blech. I'm sure if it was fried up in something other than vegetable it wouldn't be so bad. Butter or olive oil or bacon grease.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I like cauliflower okay, but my fiance hates it, and I heard a rumor somewhere that I haven't checked out that it can be bad for thyroid folks...

What's your risotto recipe you test-drove?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    http://www.atkins.com/recipes/cauliflower-risotto/799

My SO likes cauliflower a lot and he loved this. And I was pleasantly surprised. Of course the parmesan cheese and spices flavor it so it isn't just blah cauliflower taste.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I made my first cauliflower pizza crust last week and it was pretty dang good!
    I've also made cauliflower mashed potaoes to top my shepherds pie and my 8 year old son and also my fiance had NO clue! lol I love it!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    I made my first cauliflower pizza crust last week and it was pretty dang good!
    I've also made cauliflower mashed potaoes to top my shepherds pie and my 8 year old son and also my fiance had NO clue! lol I love it!

How does the pizza crust work, is it firm enough that you can pick it up and eat it like a regular slice? I made an almond flour pizza crust and it was pretty good.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There are way too many recipes to say. Some are downright floppy, some are crispy, but I don't think you can pick up any of the cauliflower ones. The chicken one, and the almond/coconut flour ones, yeah...
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I like my cauliflower Chinese rice.
    Add ham, shrimp, beef, chicken, etc and stir fry veggies and you're good! As a matter of fact I might make it tomorrow
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way- only it is about kale. I have always HATED kale. Last night, I gave it a try sauteed in some bacon fat. It was DELICIOUS. And I will be doing it again soon. So funny how tastes can change. :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    The cauliflower pizza crust can be picked up on your hand as long as you squish as much of the water out of the cauliflower as you can. I also add more cheese usually and a sprinkle of almonds all in there.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    We are having guests for lunch tomorrow. Grilling steak, and I found a "just like loaded baked potatoes casserole" recipe I am going to make.