Struggling to eat enough fat

Options
2»

Replies

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @sweetteadrinker2 this was mine, instant white chocolate pudding Dry mix whipped till thick with two cups heavy cream, in almond crust, dotted with fresh blackberries. q2fmh4qn42mx.jpg

I don't see why adding cream cheese wouldn't work too tho. Have to play with it.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Ive
    pondsbb wrote: »
    If you don't boil it do you even add the water or is it just jello mixed in the cream cheese for the taste?

You boil a cup of water and mix in the jello mix with a mixer. Then add the block of cream cheese and whip, whip, whip. Whipping it a lot makes air bubbles in it. Then I put it in a large bowl about the size of a small pie pan. You can slice it and serve it like pie. No crust needed, it is substantial and keeps its shape. Kinda the firmness of firm tofu. Easy way to add fat without carbs as cream cheese is good for that, but I get tired of the cream cheese taste alone. Making some orange flavored "pie" today in fact. It also keeps really well. I've kept it covered in fridge for up to a week.

I wonder if this would work with a jello sugar free pudding mix. I have a box of sugar free pistachio in the cupboard that I was just going to make into standard pudding with whole fairlife milk.

But maybe something like

1 small(4 serving) box of pudding
    1 8oz brick of cream cheese, room temp
    1 cup of HWC, or whole lc milk(??)

Whip with a mixer and pour into a pie pan, chill and cut?

I've actually made that for church suppers and no one knew it was low carb. I mix melted butter with almond meal for a crust. I baked it for a few minutes until I thought it was done, but I don't even think you have to bake it - kinda like a graham cracker crust.

Then I just made the pudding with two cups heavy cream! It is almost like a whipped cream pie only the pudding mix keeps it really stable. I dotted mine with berries. I'll see if I can find a pic. Ppl loved it, but it's really high fat! Haha.

About how much butter and almond meal did you use? I have that exact pie pan! I'm starting the hunt for "holiday" recipes, particularly for desserts. No one will bat an eye if I don't have potatoes and we have broccoli instead of corn, but they will harangue me for not having dessert on a holiday.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Well, this is the crust I originally made. http://www.lowcarbist.com/2009/04/better-pie-crust/ however, as I made this pie over and over I started deleting ingredients and found that just almond meal and melted butter works just as well! I just put a pile of meal in the pan, and add a few Tbsp melted butter at a time until it makes the crust all wet and "mouldable". But maybe use the recipe the first time. It's a good one. Crust is crispy and holds up to being cut/served. Reminds me a lot of graham cracker crusts if you ever made those.
  • JennyToy1
    JennyToy1 Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "I started deleting ingredients and found that just almond meal and melted butter works just as well! I just put a pile of meal in the pan, and add a few Tbsp melted butter at a time until it makes the crust all wet and "mouldable".

i have done this with flax meal and adding in some stevia-to my brain (which is almost as much about texture as taste) it's the yummmz diet version of graham cracker crust (or jello no bake cheesecake crust)

~jen
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    JennyToy1 wrote: »
    i have done this with flax meal and adding in some stevia-to my brain (which is almost as much about texture as taste) it's the yummmz diet version of graham cracker crust (or jello no bake cheesecake crust)

~jen

Great idea. I'm def going to try that. I make flax crackers, but haven't experimented with it other than that. I'm trying to get my fiber up to 25g a day and the flax is great for that.

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    A new fav at our house is the SF jello with hot water, cream cheese and cream. We use 8oz CC to 2 boxes of SF Jello, a little over a cup of HW and about 1/2 HWC. Blend until smooth and pour into a pie pan. (You should let it set, but I could drink it up just as it is) Even the kids like it! We have made a cherry one and a lime one so far. The lime was very much like key lime pie according to my daughter and husband.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    A new fav at our house is the SF jello with hot water, cream cheese and cream. We use 8oz CC to 2 boxes of SF Jello, a little over a cup of HW and about 1/2 HWC. Blend until smooth and pour into a pie pan. (You should let it set, but I could drink it up just as it is) Even the kids like it! We have made a cherry one and a lime one so far. The lime was very much like key lime pie according to my daughter and husband.

I like this with half the water to dissolve the jello, a little extra unflavored gelatin to firm it up, 1 cup of sour cream, and 1 cup of heavy cream whipped in separately to prevent layer separation later. I just don't like the texture when I dissolve the jello AND add in cream cheese. It gets weird and waxy to me...
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tried rolling the cream cheese in just jello like the web page I found said and it is awful. I am going to try and melt it add eggs and bake for cheesecake. I hate wasting stuff
  • tracy0919
    tracy0919 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    wow these are great ideas!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I tried rolling the cream cheese in just jello like the web page I found said and it is awful. I am going to try and melt it add eggs and bake for cheesecake. I hate wasting stuff

be very careful melting cream cheese. If it separates, it is very difficult to get it to come back together. Usual baking recommendation is just to let it come to room temperature, then it generally blends well with just about anything...
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

be very careful melting cream cheese. If it separates, it is very difficult to get it to come back together. Usual baking recommendation is just to let it come to room temperature, then it generally blends well with just about anything...

Yes, I just used my defrost settings on my microwave a few seconds. I then whipped some cream and blended. I forgot the egg and just refrigerated it. It still is not great but bearable. I'm sure I'll be the only one to eat it.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    vipergrm wrote: »
    After doing so well eating low carb before I went on holiday recently (losing around 15 pounds in about 2 months) I am now ready to go back on it. This time I would like to keep my carbs under 50g a day (last time it was <30g). The main reason for this is that after a long time away from doing any fitness work due to a serious knee injury I am now planning to go back to the gym and/or other types of keep fit at least 3-4 times a week. My main concern is that I wasn't eating enough fat. I really struggled to get over 60% and I would like to increase fat intake to at least 70%.

Any tips on eating more fat here in the UK? Incidentally, the 2 week holiday has led me to put pretty much all the weight back on again which I am extremely displeased about, but only got myself to blame! Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Here's my favorite "fat bomb" recipe. I don't add the honey, and I cut back on the fruit to 1/4 cup berries or sometimes omit altogether and use flavoring/extract instead. Warning-- it makes a HUGE batch, when I cut it into about 70 pieces it works out to about 65 calories, less than one gram carb per serving. I freeze most of it and keep a smaller portion in the fridge. (It's never grown mold the way my fruit gummies would, but just in case, you know?)

http://meatified.com/coconut-berry-paleo-fudge/
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I prefer the jello mixed with cream cheese without boiling it and add butter. 1:1 cc to butter.

Or, on a flip, I like the jello mixed with extra unflavored gelatin, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup heavy cream, all whipped together in stages to prevent separation. Ends up tasting like custard yogurt.

I tried doing the jello with boiling water thing with the cream cheese and it make it an odd consistency for me. With CC, it tastes like cheesecake or butter cream frosting, consistency. When I did the jello with water with it, it got weird and waxy to me.

But the boiled version like yogurt was super yummy.

Got to try this one! Lactose free sour cream a problem find. Do you think it would work with 2 cups heavy cream or with one cup greek yogurt? I can get those lactose free everywhere. There is enough goat cheese around to sub for the cream cheese. Hopefully, that one wouldn't taste 'goaty'. Will be experimenting. Thanks!

I use plain, unsweetened goat yogurt as a sour cream replacement ad I can't eat any cow dairy. Tastes like a good sub to me, but could be because I haven't had the real thing in almost 12 years.