Need help getting rid of the last few pounds!

Options
katnoir1
katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
Hi all,

I'm struggling with that last little bit of weight and looking for some advice/support. I'm currently 128lbs (5'5") looking to get down to 125lbs. I have been somewhat lighter in the past (I got down to 122lbs last year), but trying to keep my goals smaller and more manageable for the moment.

Currently working out 4-5 times per week, goal calories 1300, and also intermittent fasting (16:8).

My problems are these:
1) I do fairly heavy cardio and strength training 4x a week, but on those days I find I'm insanely hungry post-workout and have a hard time resisting the urge to eat back all those calories (and more).
2) I usually do pretty well eating clean and staying close to my calorie goal, but then probably once a fortnight I get horrid sweet cravings and end up having a junk-food frenzy (chocolate and ice-cream usually!) :o
3) I'm finding I've hit a bit of a fitness plateau (unable to improve on weights, cardio), which I'm now wondering whether that's due to the calorie restriction.

Any tips?

Replies

• MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    How often do you do "heavy cardio"?

Why is your goal calories set at 1300? When I look at your profile, it says you are 24 years old. If I go based off of that, your BMR is 1400 calories. That's how many calories you should eat to maintain your current weight if you did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but breathe.

Given your activity level, even with a HEFTY goal of losing 1 lb per week (which I DON'T recommend due to how close you are to goal weight and the wanting to hit heavier weights), you should be eating a MINIMUM of about 1493 calories per day.

I'd say you are restricting too much and your body is rebelling. But I'm not an expert. Also, binging is a symptom of too much calorie restriction.

I advise upping your calories to at least your BMR. As far as post-workout, that's when I get a good chunk of my protein and carbs in. Especially after leg day.
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm doing sprint intervals twice or three times a week, plus endurance cardio once or twice a week.

The BMR calculators I've used, based on my age and weight, have given me a BMR ranging from 1300-1350 calories, so that's how I arrived at my calorie goal. I think you are right though - sometimes even with eating loads of fruit and veg, this just doesn't feel like enough to keep me satisfied.

Can I ask which BMR calculator you used to get 1400?
  • irnz
    irnz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also used to battle with the junk food binges. What I figured out is that if you give yourself a small treat (less that 100 calories worth) of the thing you tend to crave the most after you have had a filling meal such as dinner it tends to satisfy that craving and you don't end up wanting that item so desperately that you end up eating the entire box. (I found that if I try this on an empty stomach then I feel even hungrier)

If you deny yourself completely, then the cravings get out of control, but if you factor them into your plan for the day to begin with, it should be fine. I usually go with around half a serving of whatever is listed on the packaging for candies and such and it keeps me from binging.

Also, make sure you are getting plenty of fiber and proteins, as these will help you feel fuller.

Hope this helps and keep working hard!