Water fasting

Options
Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
Hi everyone

Has anyone done a 72hr+ water fast? I'm on day 2 of a 3 day religious/spiritual fast but I'm still interested on any health and weight loss benefits y'all have seen. I've done 1 day fasts before but no longer than that. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did a 30-day water fast in August 2012. I did it to reduce edema that occured when I stopped taking a diuretic. I lost more than 40 lbs of water and only some came back after refeeding. However, I would not advocate more than 72 hours unless it was medically required.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks @toadqueen. Why would you discourage a fast not be longer than 72 hours? And did you lose only water? In sure some of it was fat if you are nothing in the 40 days.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    While I know some people fast for extended periods of time for religious and or health inspired reasons, we can't advocate prolonged fasting as a method/technique for weight loss in this group. As it has been noted, we're currently under strict review because of some previous accusations and part of our probation requires that we strictly enforce and conform to the community guidelines.
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    [. . .]
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

If you'd like more advice on fasting, the benefits, and potentially even longer fasts, might I recommend the Intermittent Fasting group? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

You'll probably get better answers and more responses there too.

While I, personally, don't know where the site draws the line on this, I have to err on the side of caution. I am going to close this thread. If anyone wants to contact me or any of the other group leaders to petition for it to be reopened, you are welcome to do so. I could be over-ruled or even convinced to change my mind. In any case, the best group for this discussion is the one I've included here.
This discussion has been closed.