Getting back on track

kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
I had been eating keto for approximately a year, lost about 35 lbs and then back at the start of the year fell off the wagon. Went down south in April and totally went off plan and gained 9 lbs which have stuck to me like glue. Despite trying to get back at low carb I haven't tried to go full keto again until this week.

I keep my fat at 75% or higher and carbs are under 20 grams,usually less, so about 5%, the rest is protein. Yet I can't seem to get into ketosis.

I have a ketonix (breath analyzer) and can only get it to go green for 5-7 blinks, never red and I tried the ketosticks and barely changed the color to pale pink let alone higher up the stick.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I know a guy in our other group has had some luck burning through his remaining glycogen stores by doing HIIT, but I don't know if that's something you can do.

Another thing is to try going full on carnivore during your induction phase (only meats, butter, and minimal cheese, eggs, etc.) No sweeteners, no veg, etc. Since carnivore causes a water drop in most folks, it might push through faster.

The only other thing I can suggest, aside from patience, because honestly, I just ate on plan, started to feel better, and never tested to see if I "hit ketosis" because if your carbs are low enough, you'll get there. Period. You can't not enter ketosis if you keep your carbs low long enough. So why stress over it??\

So back to the only other thing I can think of, and that would be fasting through your first meal. Obviously, you fast through sleeping whenever you do that. I find sometimes, I can literally feel the ketone burst of clarity and focus and such when I just drink water and push through as long as I can in the morning. I do that maybe once a week. I did it twice a week when I'd eaten dinner late, but I don't force it. I only do it organically when my hunger is already lower...

I don't know if any of these things might help, but since you've been Keto before, you know that patience is the key to succeeding on this WOE.... So maybe relaxing and riding the keto wave and just trusting the process is what you need to do. You don't say exactly how many days this week you've been working to get back in, but frankly, sometimes it takes some people up to 7-10 days to hit the keto stride again...