Low Carb Jerky Recommendations?

Options
Raynne413
Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
I've checked in my local stores for some jerky (I'm trying to find some low carb snacks other than almonds, cheese, and pepperoni), and it seems like everything has sugar or more carbs than I would prefer. Does anyone have any brands/flavors they would recommend that I could order online? Or suggestions of other snacks?

Replies

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bundu brand in the UK (maybe elsewhere?) is great
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Some people hate this stuff, but I like it for the macros, including the sodium:
    http://www.amazon.com/Oberto-Natural-Applewood-Smoked-Bacon/dp/B00APK7UN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437747787&sr=8-1
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I've checked in my local stores for some jerky (I'm trying to find some low carb snacks other than almonds, cheese, and pepperoni), and it seems like everything has sugar or more carbs than I would prefer. Does anyone have any brands/flavors they would recommend that I could order online? Or suggestions of other snacks?

There were some protein bars that the lady from healthfulpursuit.com put on her page as reviews not long ago that were legit protein - like beef in a bar kind of things that were different. She's got a lot of good things and posts random product review stuff sometimes of things she likes (like naked almond butter, too) and just different things. I like how she looks for more than just the food effects of products. I can't afford to order most of these things, but I have heard positive feedback of those who have...
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Lately I use Duke's Small Batch Smoked Meats, the "shorty" smoked sausages have 1gm carb, 4gm fat, and 6gm protein per 60 calorie serving.

I also make my own from Canadian bacon, I can control the content of the marinade that way. I use Jones Farm uncured Canadian bacon (from Costco), marinade it for a few days, then bake it at 350 for 45 min to an hour to dry it out. Still need to store in the fridge.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I just resorted to making my own, in the end. All the stuff I find in the stores is too high for my personal goals. The only problem with making your own is that it's time consuming. I am also thinking of investing in a meat slicer, to make thinner and more even slices for a more consistent end product.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far!!
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I really like the Pap's Pitmasters Barbecue. Spicy, not too sweet, available on Amazon. Its drier than the sweeter jerkys I've tried. Less than half the carbs of the jerky I was buying at Trader Joe's.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

I think you just inspired me to make some more! If I do, I'll post the recipe...

Thank you @Raynne413!
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I just resorted to making my own, in the end. All the stuff I find in the stores is too high for my personal goals. The only problem with making your own is that it's time consuming. I am also thinking of investing in a meat slicer, to make thinner and more even slices for a more consistent end product.

Me too, but I haven't made any since the 90's. I remember cutting meat in thin strips, soaking the meat overnight in a soy or worcestershire sauce, adding some seasoning salts/spices. Then laying them on the oven wire rack. You would do this before going to bed. Then set the oven on the lowest temp it would go, (150-175) I would crack the oven door open ever so slightly. Then in the morning it would be done. It was way better than store bought. I would usually eat the whole batch in one day.

You have to trim all the fat off :( ~ or it will go rancid.

All the above was in the 80's, so I am sure you can find much more info about making homemade jerky on YouTube or Google.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    95 pounds down, 29 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here tried making pemmican? It seems like it would be the ultimate keto snack.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I want some ! Never made it, wish I could get some.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Jack Links is another good brand
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried making pemmican? It seems like it would be the ultimate keto snack.

Yep, I've made it. I would make it more often if I could get a good, cheap supply of beef fat.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I make my own jerky. I don't even have a food dehydrator, just do it in the oven. Sugar free bbq sauce, some spices, and alot of salt. I have to hide it from my partner :P
  • DietPrada
    Options
    Jack Links is another good brand

Jacks links are too high in carb for me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    What cut of meat do y'all use to make this? Or cuts? I know my dad makes a mess of beef jerky every year, and he's always complaining about how expensive it is to make. I'm sincerely wondering if he's just using the wrong meat!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @EbonyDahlia Could you please post your method? I would love to try this. And where do you find unsweetened BBQ sauce. I have almost resorted to making my own. But, I would like the option to be lazy if there is an acceptable alternative.
  • DietPrada
    Options
    We have the fountain brand of sugar free bbq sauce in Aus. Not sure what the equivalent is in other countries. Cheapest way I've found is to buy a large piece of roast beef and slice it myself.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't really like jerky myself, but found these on Amazon which are 1 carb per serving. They are pricy but he (my husband) said it was the best jerky he's had yet. He also like the Boars Head London Broil jerky but it has 6 carbs per serving.

Here's the link to the Jerky on Amazon.
    http://tinyurl.com/nffya8p