Keto camping...

psenarighi
psenarighi Posts: 33 Member
So I'm sitting here at the campfire what are some keto friendly suggestions and support.

I guess I should have grabbed a bag of pork rinds and tried to make S'mores with dark chocolate and whipped cream cheese. Blah not even sure if that sounds good.

I did spend my remaining carbs on a half cup of watermelon.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    This is a bit late and probably won't help you much on this go around.
    My best advice is come prepared. We camp quite a lot and this always works well for me. I make it a priority in packing prep. I have a list I keep and check off to make sure I have all my keto stuff. Plan ahead and bring all your favorite keto snacks, dips and etc. Which is harder if you are tent camping and only have a cooler to keep things. We have an RV so we are cheaters. lol Of course I have 4 kids, too, and I will not take them tent camping again until they are older. Lesson learned. Man, can little kids make a person miserable in a tent, let me tell ya!

I bring pork rinds, make a dip, nuts, cheese, cut-up raw veggies with ranch. I bring generic Mio to flavor water and vodka if I get an adult bev craving. And if you have a sweet tooth, prepare some fat bombs ahead of time and bring them to whip out when the craving strikes. I'd think keto hot cocoa might me nice around the campfire, too, though I haven't fussed with that.

I only count carbs on camping trips and forget about worrying about calories. I do miss the smores...but I don't miss the 95lb I've lost on this WOE. So I've learned to be happy with the adjustments I've made in my life and be happy with the substitutions. Not obsessing over what I CAN'T have, but focusing on all the delicious keto things I have to choose from. Because we have SO MANY yummy choices.

I hope you enjoy your trip. :smile:
  • psenarighi
    Not late at all... Sure I'm already camping this weekend. But being new to keto - any and all tips are helpful.

We have a pop-up camper and use coolers. I'm considering packing my own cooler for my side dishes And veg/dips. My broc/chicken salad has been a hit with my mother&sister in law.

I had 3 potato chips and I found I really only missed the thought of them vs the taste. However my blt sandwiched in lettus was very satisfying!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Pork rinds would be nice for backpacking 'cuz they're so lightweight, but they would get crushed easily too. Summer sausage-type stuff could be good. Also tinned fish of various varieties.
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    hard cheese packs well. I ate off a hunk backpacking for 10 days with no issues.
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Oh, and jerky. Homemade is best!
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Keto camping/backpacking can be a pain in the *kitten*. Depending on your level of activity, you can see a big drop in energy levels if you don't have enough calories and unfortunately most Keto food can be a pain to pack up on the trail.

When I go out for a few days in the bush I tend to bring jerky, string cheese, tuna pouches, spam, pre-cooked bacon, and peanut butter. If you need some freeze-dried food, Mountain House makes a decent scrambled eggs and bacon pack.

If you are just car camping, then you shouldn't have any trouble bringing anything you could eat at home. Most food can keep for several days in an icechest.
  • akwest21
    akwest21 Posts: 15 Member
    When we camp I pack a ton of jerky, nuts or nut butters and coconut manna. Tanka bars are also great for camping. If you have a pop up camper and can keep things cold I would bring bacon...but then everyone will want to eat your bacon. If you're backpacking pork rinds take up too much precious pack space. Sometimes I make granola before we go. Nuts and seeds, coconut oil, vanilla and cinnamon tossed together and baked a bit makes a pretty good granola. Camping is also one of the times I allow myself more carbs. Usually larabars, after being keto the carbs feel like rocket fuel in the trail
  • psenarighi
    Thanks for the suggestions! We hope to get out camping a few more weekends in the remaining summer weekends we have left.

Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I do miss eating nuts. I have been limiting my peanut, almond and Brazil nut to a bare minimum. I was laughing at myself the other day for grabbing just 5 shelled peanuts and logging it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited July 2015
    I stick with macadamia nuts (over peanuts and almonds), even though they cost more. To me, they are the perfect carb/fat ratio. A very small portion is satisfying and sustaining. I worked an outdoor Ren Faire back in March and made it through the limited break days with macadamia nuts, cheese, salami, (in a cooler, obviously) and a normal meal at home. Started most days with some type of bullet proof tea or just crammed in as much fat as I could (beef sticks, hard cheese, nuts) before I left the house or on the way (scotch eggs hold up well in a cooler, hardboiled eggs might be good too...)... Pickles are another go to if I'm sweating a lot and need to drink a ton of water and still keep my sodium up. I think I even stashed some "frozen" fat bombs but didn't end up eating them...
  • baconslave
    I forgot to mention that I always keep low-carb lunchmeat, a cheese block, sour cream (so I can make more dip on the fly. The hubby and kids are notorious for using all my dip on their stupid chips), cream for my coffee, and mayo in the fridge. Cans of chicken and tuna. I make hardboiled eggs for the kids and for egg salad for me. Celery and cream cheese. Breakfast is bacon, eggs, and sausage. And we grill meat for the evening meal. And often open a can of green beans or greens or have a salad for the evening veggie.

It may seem like a PITA to keto while camping. But my meals are always so simple. It's often too hot during the day for appetite, and I'm too busy to care about getting fancy. And we've done it so often. The momentum of habits/routines you repeat carries you along. It becomes the new normal. Easy peasy.
    We go camping again next weekend. Soon...

I keep hearing about those scotch eggs. I'm going to have to make them soon.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,071 Member
    @baconslave, I thought you'd say you pack Spam-a-lot while camping, lol.
  • baconslave
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    @baconslave, I thought you'd say you pack Spam-a-lot while camping, lol.

LOL!