10k race?

samra338
samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
I started C25K in May and moved on to B210K following the expert advice received here. I'm currently on Week 11 and ran 4.2 miles in an hour on Wednesday. There's a local 10k race in October and I wanted to sign up for it, but my husband thinks it's too early. Especially since I 'walked/ran' a 5k as soon as I graduated C25K in an hour and was absolutely demotivated, before I picked myself up and started B210k. Any recommendations or advice for me, please? Thanks!

Replies

• JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    I say GO FOR IT. And don't get demoralized if you end up walk/runNing the 10k. The goal for the first race is to finish. You should be super proud of how far you've come!
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    I'm at the same place as you training-wise. I have my first 5Ks in August (next weekend and the weekend after), a 10K in September, another 10K in October, and a half marathon in November. I have found the terror to be extremely motivating :)
  • samra338
    Thanks @JSC145 and @LLduds...and good luck with your races. I have downloaded the training plan for half marathon and improver plans for 5k and 10k..hopefully, I will have a better race this time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    samra338 wrote: »
    There's a local 10k race in October and I wanted to sign up for it, but my husband thinks it's too early.

So that's two months away. You can already run 60% of the total distance.

I recently raced a 10K and the slower runners were at around 90 minutes, so based on your current result you should be able to complete in the time available. If anything you should be in a position to bring your total time down to about 75 minutes or so.

• samra338
    Thanks @MeanderingMammal. .that gives me some confidence as I wanted to aim for 70 minutes. I will wait until I complete the B210k program to see how much I am running in the 60 minutes before I register.