Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle

Options
bound4beauty
bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
Before I buy this book, I'd like to know what people's opinions of it are.

Thanks!

Replies

• kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Seems that you can get a lot of the same information right here for free. If I recall he has you focus on your Macro Nutrients, Eating 5-6 times a day, and exercising.

There is a wealth of information available in this group; have you tried using the various links pinned to the top of this board?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Venuto is a pretty good resource, but I am not a fan of his focus on meal frequency, especially when he admits himself it really has no significant impact on weight loss.

Just focus on a caloric deficit, hitting your macros and exercising. You do not need a book for that.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Venuto is a pretty good resource, but I am not a fan of his focus on meal frequency, especially when he admits himself it really has no significant impact on weight loss.

Just focus on a caloric deficit, hitting your macros and exercising. You do not need a book for that.

Agreed. He has changed his opinions on the some of the content regarding some of the myths out there. Honestly, in my opinion the valuable information he offers in that one (and the body fat solution book) is the way he addresses the goal setting and mental side of the process.

Honestly, I own so many fitness books its kind of sad. It also drives my wife crazy. I kept looking for that perfect formula that was going to work.

Ironically, I then use a free site to track calories and lose 25 pounds.

For weight training, a free webstie resource is aworkoutroutine.com . Goes over making a workout program. He also has an awesome ebook that has tons of good routines.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    burn the fat feed the muscle IMO is a bit strict in its approach unless you're preparing for bodybuilding contests or similar. A lot of the advice in there is too strict for most people's goals, what Sara said about meal timings is one thing. Also the emphasis on clean eating IMO, I've found that you don't need to be so strict about that (although he does discuss the 80% rule as well to be fair). His other book (not an ebook) the body fat solution is better for most people, as it basically discusses all the various aspects of fat loss and obesity and what you can do to lose fat. It's more flexible in its approach than BFFM is, and there's more focus on adapting it to your lifestyle and also the importance of making whatever changes you need to make to be sustainable in the long term.

IMO they're both good books, and considering the amount of bull that's out there on fitness and diet, it's definitely a reliable source and the information is backed up with science. But you can probably find the same information in this very group here. It's difficult to navigate your way through all the scams and dodgy science, but the info from sidesteel and sara (and quite a few others here) is reliable, and the info in Tom Venuto's books is reliable too. I have both books (BFFM and body fat solution) and have found them both to be useful. One of the most useful bits in BFFM for me was the chapter about psychology and motivation. the other stuff I knew already from studying human sciences at university, but I wasn't good at applying it to my own life in a practical way.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've spent hours in the various groups here, watching videos, reading blogs, calculating my TDEE, etc... I guess I'm still looking for that magic formula as well. I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds for six weeks now. Having said that...I also know from spending so much time here that I have to ignore the scale but it's challenging. At only 5 feet tall and 197 pounds, I do feel like I should weigh less LOL. I think I'm doing all the right things. I guess I just want someone to confirm that for me.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I've read it. It was ok until the meal frequency bit but I believe he has updated that now.

If I was to buy any book, I'd get Flexible Dieting by Lyle McDonald.

But for better bang for back. Sign up to Alan Aragon research review. $10/month gets you access to all of the back issues for the last 4 years. LOTS of good info.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Agreed. He has changed his opinions on the some of the content regarding some of the myths out there. Honestly, in my opinion the valuable information he offers in that one (and the body fat solution book) is the way he addresses the goal setting and mental side of the process.

Honestly, I own so many fitness books its kind of sad. It also drives my wife crazy. I kept looking for that perfect formula that was going to work.

Ironically, I then use a free site to track calories and lose 25 pounds.

For weight training, a free webstie resource is aworkoutroutine.com . Goes over making a workout program. He also has an awesome ebook that has tons of good routines.

Love aworkoutroutine.com. Have you purchased his ebook? I have thought about it many times, but was unsure because I hadn't heard much about it.
  • SallyFTW
    Options
    Hi. I bought my hubby this program for his birthday. Though I had to keep pushing him to stick with the program it definately did work for him. He looks better and more healthy, but he now hassles me to follow it with him lol. Anyway here is a user review you might find helpful http://www.ebooksfitness.com/burn-the-fat-feed-the-muscle.html