Main goal is weight loss but would like to learn about Strength training too.

Options
elalivestrong
elalivestrong Posts: 19 Member
Hi everyone. I started my journey a few weeks ago and joined My fitness pal, about a week ago. I'm 5'6 and at 388lbs. Obviously, my main goal is weight/fat loss. I am working hard on my eating habits and doing at least 35 minuets (for now) of cardio daily to achieve that goal. But I do want to learn how to lift as well. I've been online and youtube trying to learn proper form on deadlifts, squats, planks, bench press etc. I really want to be able to go to the gym and workout efficiently. I'd appreciate any advice on strength training tips or any advice that will help me on the journey. Thank y'all.

Replies

• amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You can start out with a bodyweight program ..bodybuilding.com has some..i started on with body weight bit switched over to stronglifts 5x5 ..you can try strong lifts, nwolfw,strong curves..there are several beginner programs you can try..i found it was better to start with a beginner program.
  • charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I would get a coach. (If not, a knowledgeable fitness partner.) It's hard to know if you are using proper form/technique without outside input.... Just to avoid injury.
  • lmlilly
    lmlilly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Really, the best way to lose weight is with Tabata type cardio and lifting. I do Body by Design, found on bodybuilding.com. But any lifting program you like and will do is good. I also encourage you to pay a trainer for a few sessions, just to be sure about form. Or even a BodyPump class if you're at a gym. But don't stay too long, lifting moderate to heavy will get you better results.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I do 5x5 and I read somewhere that doing cardio after lifting sets the fat on fire. After my strong lifts session I am going for bike ride.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You're wise to add weight lifting in now! Building and keeping muscle while you're losing weight will put you far ahead of the game! Lifting consistently, and heavy, will net you the best benefits. It may mess up the scale for a while, but you'll be losing inches while the scale catches up. Choose a good program, watch form videos or get feedback from a trainer, and commit to consistency! You'll be amazed and delighted!
  • bellis107
    bellis107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    I do 5x5 and I read somewhere that doing cardio after lifting sets the fat on fire. After my strong lifts session I am going for bike ride.

I just read this in an article on bodybuilding.com last week. Either fasted cardio (first thing in the morning on an empty stomach) or immediately after a lifting session is best because your body has used up it's glycogen and turns to burning fat for fuel. I've been lifting 3x a week for about 5 weeks now (SL 5x5) and doing sprints on the alternate 3 days with one rest day. The scale wasn't moving but I felt so much stronger, my body began changing and my clothes were starting to fit differently. I switched to sprints after lifting just this past week. Several mornings I woke up feeling noticeably lighter and lost 3.5lbs. Yay! Welcome! You're going to LOVE it.

• Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well done @bellis107 and I am going to do more of what you're doing. I have been back at SL for about 2 weeks and I am more motivated to keep it up and get some nice definition going!