$/g of protein....

Options
faithan84
faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
I'm trying hard to eat high quality proteins... Grass fed, organic, lean meats, fish, and eggs are what I try to buy. I'm having trouble affording enough meat to meet my daily protein goals. I am supplementing with beans and nuts, but I'm still always under. I typically eat 2 eggs with nuts for breakfast, 2 eggs or beans with nuts for lunch, and 3-4oz meat for dinner. I don't eat beans often because they mess up my carb counts and give me tummy issues. I want to avoid protein powder supplements because they typically contain soy, dairy, wheat, or added sugar... All things I'm avoiding. Any suggestions? What is the most economic way to get high quality meat? How do you get your protein?

Replies

• flatlandrunner
    flatlandrunner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're from but if you have any connections to farmers or hutterites (not quite Amish- at least around the Canadian Prairies) , you can usually get really great quality meat at a decent price if you buy an entire side, 1/2 or 1/4 of an animal. And if you and someone else else buy the meat together then you can both get a deal without having to buy caveman portions.

Around the Canadian prairies we buy 3 or 4 entire chickens at a pretty decent price - but the catch is we have to buy at least 3 so usually I go out with my in-laws and we buy 9 chickens from the hutterites and split them among the 3 families. The same goes for pork- we bought 1 pig and had it split up among the families. <- this requires a big freezer but if you have the room it's a great way to fill it up with quality goods at a fair price.

hope this helps!
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Are you able to raise a handful of hens? Or quail?
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm in the States, in a suburban area. We do have farmers not too far away that sell large quantities of meats. I'll look into it more. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not able to raise livestock where I live. :(
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Beans are high in protein and low in cost.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    a 3tbsp serving of "manitoba harvest organic shelled hemp hearts" equals 10g of protein, 13g of mostly good fats, 3g of carbs & 3g fiber..
    mixes into shakes/smoothies perfectly or you can sprinkle them into yogurt, onto salads, etc. or you can just eat them as is.. They have a mild raw nutty taste that is pretty good.. I started using these recently and am finally meeting my daily protein amount without having to eat much of anything else with protein in it..
  • MichQ1904
    MichQ1904 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    faithan84 wrote: »
    I'm in the States, in a suburban area. We do have farmers not too far away that sell large quantities of meats. I'll look into it more. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not able to raise livestock where I live. :(

On side not while farmers meat preferred...
    Arbonne has plant protein powders that taste great for shakes or cooking. No soy or whey.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What about pumpkin seed protein powder, or pea? Or Vega protein smoothies?