Keeping the faith

Options
camblin
camblin Posts: 38 Member
I commented to my daughter yesterday that the scale hadn't budged all week, and she started giving me a pep talk. "It will move, Mom. Don't let it get you down." But the thing is, I KNEW it would move because I log everything and track my exercise, and knew I was on track. Sure enough, this morning, the scale was down 1.6 lbs. Thankfully, at the beginning of this venture, I lost 12 lbs the first two weeks, which kept me motivated, because I'm not sure I wouldn't have given up if I had a six day stall back then. Now, I know that, if I am doing everything right, the scale will eventually move, so I don't get discouraged. It helps me get through the days when the scale not only doesn't move down, but **gasp** moves up! For folks starting out, it is easy to think that the success stories are people with a tremendous amount of willpower or hours a day to devote to exercise, and feel like giving up. But, the fact is that you don't have to go hungry or feel deprived, and you don't have to spend hours a day exercising. If you are being honest and staying within your goal, the scale will move. And it doesn't care if your calories are coming from donuts or carrots, or if your calories are burned running or taking a walk with the grandkids. I love the concept of being able to track my food and exercise on my smart phone and check it on my computer and iPad. I love having my statistics readily viewable. When the scale doesn't move for several days, it is nice to look back and see how this week compares to other weeks, and to see my progress over time. It helps keep me going. Technology has given us a powerful tool in taking control of our health. I remember trying to count calories after my second child was born, and it involved a white kitchen scale, a notebook, and a little booklet of calorie counts. Now, I can scan a bar code with my phone, my fitbit sends my exercie calories to MFP, and everything I need is right there on my phone all the time. There has simply never been an easier, more efficient way to track progress and stay on track.

Replies

• Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Well said! Good post!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Great perspective! I weigh myself several times a week just to be aware of the fluctuations--often 3-5 pds over the course of a week. I write each new low on my calendar and weigh in with trainer 2-3x/month. In 13 months I've had only one trainer weigh in where I went up, 1-2 where I was the same, and all the rest have been down down down. This weighing/monitoring strategy keeps things in perspective snd going in right direction!
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great post indeed. The electronics don't control what we put in our mouths - we do.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Being aware is very important!
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    camblin wrote: »
    There has simply never been an easier, more efficient way to track progress and stay on track.

Awesome post!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post and so true. We have to accommodate the bumps in the road without panic. Just stay focused.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post! Very motivational
  • AnointedZ
    AnointedZ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another way to track your progress when the scale doesn't seem to move is to begin a photo journal (before & After pics) they are a great visual tool to monitor your progress and oh so encouraging.
  • Purple1105
    Purple1105 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25 pounds pretty quickly and that was great motivation, however the next 5 pounds took 4 weeks. During that time I suffered with an injury that made working out almost impossible. I gave in to the negative self talk and probably would have quit if not for:

1. I have surrounded myself with folks who are losing weight and posting about it (online since none of my personal friends are trying)
    2. I continued to log into MFP even when I refused to log how ridiculous I was eating.
    3. Finally I decided to get serious about logging my food ago which made me more accountable
    4. And I finally decided there must be some work around so to get back to working out.

It might be a slow process but I refuse to undo all my hard work. Even if I stay the same, I am better off than when I started this process.

Tina
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts on this thread. I was losing motivation but this has helped me gain it back along with determination.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was stalled for 2 weeks. Well, up and down type of stalled. I just hung in there like so many post about, and the scale is going down again. It's hard to believe it will happen at the time. I've lost 3 1/2 pounds in a month, which is on the slow side, but is better than gaining 3 1/2 pounds!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    When I was seeing a dietician regularly, he weighed me each time I visited. During one visit, my weight went up by a pound. I wasn't delighted. Seeing my discomfort, the dietician asked me what I would say if my daughter was upset about gaining a pound. I asked "What do you mean... before or after I stopped laughing?"

He said if I can extend such compassion to my daughter, why I cannot do so for myself? Hmmmmm....
  • traceyc013
    traceyc013 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have to remember that it doesn't happen over night.... That there are going to be imperfect days.... And that the big picture is much more important than any bad day.