Preparation for Week 1 and Introductions.

Options
slimzandra
slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
August 1st is this Saturday already!

For this week, I am going to figure out the following:
1. When I'm going to commit to this daily. At this point, it will be easier for me to do the routine at 5am, before anything else, that way I'll have no excuses.

2. I also need to set up my laptop to access my big screen TV, so I can view the Youtube videos on my TV.

3. I need to find my yoga mat, and

4. Invite others to join me.

About me: I am 50 something, 50lbs overweight, 5'1", so the yoga moves done by Adriene, and what they look like on the videos are a far cry of what I look like bent over in downward dog. Warning.. It ain't pretty folks!
Fortunately, I probably won't post any selfies of me doing the routine - (unless you want me to.)
I hope to have a few laughs and maybe even become more flexible and feel better by the end of the month. Let's see..
Slimz

Replies

• cdanie13
    cdanie13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love yoga with adriene!
  • slimzandra
    Options
    Hi Cdanie. I'm so happy to hear that. I hope you can join me or at least lurk at my progress in August. HAHA. I viewed a few of her videos and this seems approachable. I'm looking forward to feeling more flexible and to start my day with some good stretching. I'm down almost 20 lbs using MFP and feel like I can start reaching for my toes again!
  • frichris
    frichris Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I'm up for 30 days of bending, stretching, and strengthening.

About me: I am also 50 something, 32 pounds over my goal, 5'6". I've been doing yoga for years, but never on a daily basis, so looking forward to doing it on a regular basis.
  • slimzandra
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi Frichris.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts since you've done yoga before. Everything I've read so far about the instructor seems positive. I like that it's a free video that I can do at home, I've cycled through all my exercise DVDs and WiiFit dance moves! I also like that the routine changes every day. I've done Jillian, Leslie Sansone, and other cardio routines for 30 days +. I'd also like to improve my core muscles. I'm hoping this will help.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for this. I haven't done yoga in a while so I'll use the same video your using. I love Pilates and used to do both to stretch and tone.

About me

I'm 35
    Down from 180 to 147-150
    My goal was 145 but I'm happy at where I am now and would be thrilled to be more lean and toned.
    I have back and neck issues and struggle to find workouts that don't cause more problems.
    I'm excited to feel more flexible and balanced.

• StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    @slimzandra

Thanks for responding to my post and telling me about this. I'll give it a go.
  • juliegayleh
    juliegayleh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi. Everyone. I am excited for this. I am also going to try for early morning before my son wakes up and claims the tv!! My yoga mat is exactly where I left it from the one and only yoga class I went to a month ago. I loved it but child care is an issue.

I am 44. Currently down 35 from all time high. 50 to ultimate goal. Small 10% goals along the way.
  • slimzandra
    Options
    Hi AuntStephie, StrongLife and JulieGayleh! Thanks for coming over. We are going to have an interesting mix of folks. I can't wait to get started. I'm glad August 1st is a Saturday. While I plan on doing this early in the morning each day, I still need to clear out a place in my front room to get set up. I did find my yoga mat from my attempt at the gym one year. Rolled up right where I left it. LOL.

I was very heavy the last time I tried it at my gym. I was also a newbie and one of the older folks in the room. The instructor kept pointing me out and saying, "If anyone wants to do a modified version of this pose....." I was mortified at the time. Hopefully, I can improve and go at my own pace by doing this in the privacy of my own home and checking in here.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I probably won't use videos, as I put together my own routines. But I'll lurk in here and offer encouragement/ask for it if needed.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am excited to get started! So excited that I went to a class last night. I spent a lot of time laughing internally and smiling at myself trying to do the poses. I think the instructor appreciated that. She walked around and helped everyone. I don't like that you didn't have a good experience at the gym @slimzandra.

I will be 32 next month. I'm 5'2", down 30 lbs with about 30 to go. I will be out of town this weekend but I will try to incorporate it on Friday and Sunday when I return home if I can.
  • slimzandra
    Options
    Thanks Sweettea,
    You always offer some great insights in other groups. Your lurking will be much appreciated. :)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I'm Diana, 38 years old, currently around 196 (down from starting weight of 236 in February). I'm excited to do this along with y'all. I need to increase my flexibility and balance. Hopefully I don't hurt myself or anything. My 14yo daughter is interested in doing it with me, so we will probably do it in the evenings after the little ones go to bed. I'm totally new to yoga but have enjoyed Pilates in the past (videos by Mari Winsor) and benefited in terms of core strength and muscle tone.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Hi, everyone! I'm Diana, 38 years old, currently around 196 (down from starting weight of 236 in February). I'm excited to do this along with y'all. I need to increase my flexibility and balance. Hopefully I don't hurt myself or anything. My 14yo daughter is interested in doing it with me, so we will probably do it in the evenings after the little ones go to bed. I'm totally new to yoga but have enjoyed Pilates in the past (videos by Mari Winsor) and benefited in terms of core strength and muscle tone.

I love Mari Winsor :) I'm excited to give yoga a go too. I took a class weekly at a gym like 10 years ago and loved it. I'm psyched to get started, I might even start early since I feel ready
  • jess1jane
    jess1jane Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jessi. I'm going to be a senior at NWMSU and I love Yoga with Adrienne. I have done her morning yoga routine dozens of times and I love it. I saw she was posting 30 days of yoga and I wanted to start it but never got around to it. So this will be the perfect time.