Newbie.

Options
LetterToCorinth
LetterToCorinth Posts: 130 Member
Hello all. Newbie here. Just getting over a month-long cycle. Back on the wagon as of Sunday. Looking for support from people who understand the struggle. Looking forward to breaking the cycle.

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You'll find plenty of support and encouragement in this forum. AND NO JUDGMENT! We are all at various levels.

For me, I was able to stop trying to figure out why I binged (emotional, trigger foods, etc) and just stopped last year. It was difficult, but I made it through. For physical health reasons, I cannot binge and so I had to stop cold-turkey. I get the occasional urge, but I am finally able to not give in to it. I do eat previous binge or trigger foods but very rarely.
  • LetterToCorinth
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you! I find that when I do binge my asthma gets worse. (Likely from the excess pressure in my abdomen.) So that's one reason to stop, though it hasn't convinced me yet. I think, for me, it's finding the right foods to eat that don't trigger, and making myself stop thinking "I can have just one. It'll be ok." Because clearly, I can't. I had one day where I ate at a diner last month, and BOOM. A month of eating pretty much nonstop. And as I'm doing it, I know I shouldn't be doing it. Ugh. Here's praying for future success. :)
  • toadqueen
    Options
    There may also be an aspect of food sensitivities or insulin resistance or just hormonal mess that plays a factor. I have all these issues and I know if I have anything sweet, real or substitute, or foods that easily convert I just want more and more of it.

I'm praying for all of us too. To us!!
  • LetterToCorinth
    Options
    Sweet usually doesn't get me, it's savory. :) Things like bar food - fried, salty, cheesy, etc. :)
  • angsfitness
    angsfitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off of my fitnesspal for a while. I do OK for a few days or weeks and then fall right back in to old habits. I know how to eat right but just can't keep it up. It's just easier to eat fast food and junk food. Eating right requires planning and prep work. I have the time just not the inclination. Any suggestions to help with this?
  • LetterToCorinth
    Options
    The planning is the rough part for me, too. I work full time, plus go to college full time, plus I'm married. So quick and easy is usually my first choice! I've set a schedule for myself now, though. This semester is going to be really busy so I need to learn to stick to a routine, and set aside time on Sundays to cook for the week. I use my Google calendar, which syncs to my phone, and literally scheduled time for all the major things that need to get done - housework, cooking, homework, gym, etc. School doesn't start until 8/24, but I'm starting now so I can hopefully be into the routine when school starts. I know it's going to be tough but I have to make sure I can take care of myself, too. The calendar "dings" to remind me to do things, and to stop doing things, and so far it's been working pretty well. :)
  • toadqueen
    Options
    I would try to log in every day, record all your food, and participate in the forums if you have the time. I also prepare a lot of my food on the weekends when I am off from work. I eat very simply. It's easier for me to eat this than go out for fast food and I just don't buy the junk anymore.

I stopped worrying and trying to figure out why I binged and just stopped doing it. If I binged, I did not beat myself up and got back on track as soon as I could. It helped that any bingeing now hurts me terribly, physically, so that was a huge factor.
  • SnackySnackPants
    SnackySnackPants Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you can do this!

The google calendar sounds like a good idea.

For meal planning, are you ok with crockpot meals? I love it and is so quick and easy. Often times, very little time in prep. I usually throw the ingredients in the night before, to save time in the morning.
  • LetterToCorinth
    Options
    I do the crockpot a lot. My problem is, I get sick of the food too quickly. I guess I just need to learn to cook in smaller batches. When I make a full crockpot of something, by the time I've eaten it a third time I'm over it. Haha.

And yes, the google calendar has been amazing. There have been a few times where I was mad at it lol but That's the point, to get me into a routine.

I stopped buying junk food for the house, too. That where there's nothing I'd actually want to binge on. But it's still really tempting to hit a BK drive thru. It helps that I'm broke from buy healthy food for the house. :)
  • SnackySnackPants
    SnackySnackPants Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do the crockpot a lot. My problem is, I get sick of the food too quickly. I guess I just need to learn to cook in smaller batches. When I make a full crockpot of something, by the time I've eaten it a third time I'm over it. Haha.

And yes, the google calendar has been amazing. There have been a few times where I was mad at it lol but That's the point, to get me into a routine.

I stopped buying junk food for the house, too. That where there's nothing I'd actually want to binge on. But it's still really tempting to hit a BK drive thru. It helps that I'm broke from buy healthy food for the house. :)

Haha, that happens to me, too. Two people eat, but I never cut down the recipe size. Winter is the worst. The bf likes a lot of soups I make, but by December, the freezer is full of leftovers and the thought of more soup for lunch makes me die a little inside