APPETIZING AUGUST - Food Related August Challenge

Options

Replies

• SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My first experiment was making a cinnamon roll pancake for breakfast. It was made with flax seed and a little glucomannan. I mixed Ceylon cinnamon and Swerve sugar(ish) and sprinkled that on top then added dots of butter. Next time I will try it with blanched almond flour/flax seed and add a little Xylitol since the Swerve could have been a bit sweeter with the cinnamon.

There's enough left over for tomorrow's breakfast at work so Yum!
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    We are off to a great start! There are 9 participants thus far. We will have the posts for each week on Saturday/Sunday or whatever works best with a wrap up at the end of the month.

I've started duck week with a bang! Duck foie gras, seared medium rare duck break, duck fat roasted Brussels sprouts last night and duck fat scrambled (chicken) eggs in Hollandaise sauce with duck bacon for breakfast this morning. Lots of rendered fat to cook with all week/month plus a duck confit drumstick to try.

More at the end of the week...
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Made paleo ice cream on Saturday that turned out to be AMAZING. My husband couldn't believe it wasn't real ice cream. :)

I can probably tweak it to have less carbs by adding less banana and more coconut cream (or by having a smaller serving). :#
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    halg32ygoac5.jpg

Recipe 1 Fish. New word is "TIMBALES".
    For this recipe found in the old cookbook called "The Proper Bostonian Cookbook." LOL. I wasn't exactly keen on pressing fish through a sieve. I did like the idea of using my nice popover pan for something. I wasn't in love with almonds. So, I decided to see what else was out there.

A web search on Low carb Fish Timbales lead me to this website.

http://countrywalksinketosis.com/category/recipes/

Wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I'm tagging it for further research. Further search
    then, lead me to this recipe on pinterest.

https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/tuna-cauliflower-timbales/
    j8jffjzae50v.jpg

This one is made with tuna and caulilflower. I'm going to skip the cherry tomatoes and add more tuna, add my kippers and less cauliflower..

INGREDIENTS:
    1 medium 5-6″ head cauliflower
    ¼ c. + 2 T. homemade mayo (my recipe here on the website under condiments)
    ½ tsp. Shawarma Spice Blend (my recipe here on the site)
    1 6.4-oz pouch water-pack tuna
    1½ avocados, mashed (or 2 if you can afford the extra carbs/calories)
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    8 cherry tomatoes
    1 olive per serving to garnish (optional)
    DIRECTIONS: Boil or steam cauliflower with a dash of salt until quite tender. Drain well, pressing out as much water as possible via pressing in a sieve with a rubber spatula. When you can get no more water out of it, pour the mashed cauliflower into a bowl. In a separate dish, stir the Shawarma Spice Blend into the mayo and spoon over the cauliflower. Stir to blend well. Place a timbale mold onto each serving plate and spoon ¼ of the cauli mixture into each mold. Press firmly to fill the mold and level the cauli surface. Carefully fork ¼ of the tuna onto each and spread it as evenly as possible, trying not to disturb the cauliflower. If cauliflower water bleeds out under the bottom of the timbale form, just run a paper towel/napkin around the edge to absorb it as you complete making these.
    Remove skin and seeds from the avocados and place the flesh on a paper plate. Mash with a fork until fairly smooth and stir in the garlic powder. “Frost” each timbale stack by spreading them with ¼ of the mixture, smoothing it as evenly as possible with a fork or the back of a spoon. Top each with 2 cherry tomatoes and an olive (if desired). Carefully remove the timbale molds and serve at once.
    NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:
    367 calories
    32.5 g fat
    14.9 g carbs, 8.45 g fiber, 6.45 g NET CARBS
    14.8 g protein
    232 mg sodium
    926 mg potassium
    52% RDA Vitamin B6, 136% B12, 102% C, 10% D, 32% E, 36% copper, 40% iron, 21% mag-nesium, 22% manganese, 47% niacin, 56% phosphorous, 52% riboflavin, 123% selenium, 17% thiamin, 26% zinc.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I can join now even though it's already August 5th? I need a challenge or two to get me more motivated. I think for my food challenge I'll do two main things:

1. plan my week's menus on Sunday so that I can make sure I have good low-carb options available;
    2. try at least two new recipes -- I have so many recipes saved just from browsing around or following links on this forums or from what people have posted. I need to try a few. And I want at least one of them to be something I can make ahead and freeze, like an egg casserole kind of thing, or muffins, or pancakes, or something that I can just pull out of the freezer in the morning.

Since this is Wednesday I'm not going to do the planning for this week, but I'll start that this weekend. But I will try one new recipe because I recently bought some coconut flour and I have a good-sounding recipe for muffins. :)
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    20150723_163412.jpg
    For first week I harvested my first eggplant of the season ,so I tried make a low carb parmesan using pork rinds.

Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan

1 large eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons water
    4 ounces pork rinds, ground fine
    1 teaspoon dried italian season
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 cup low carb spaghetti sauce, purchased or home canned
    1/2 pound ground beef
    1/4 cup grated parmesan
    12 ounces mozzarella

Preheat a deep fryer.

Grind your pork rinds and add the garlic powder and italian season.

In a small bowl whisk your egg with water.

Dip your sliced eggplant in the egg and then dip into the pork rind. Press the rind into the pieces of eggplant, getting it to stick , and then one at a time fry in the deep fryer until golden, about 4 minutes.

Drain eggplant on paper towels and then transfer to a casserole dish.

In a skillet on the stovetop, brown and drain the groundbeef.

Add spaghetti sauce to drained groundbeef .Pour about 2 tablespoons prepared sauce on each piece fried eggplant. Top each with parmesan and then 2 ounces mozzarella.

Place casserole dish in a 400 degree oven until cheese melts and bubbles.

Serve immediately.

It was very good. Here is my first eggplant of the season before deep frying.
    IMG_20150723_112549.jpg
  • toadqueen
    Options
    Welcome @Monklady123 - you are never too late for us!
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Experimental crustless quiche in the oven. I will cut it into servings and freeze for post surgery meals. I would post a photo, but for some reason I can't
    :-(
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    Pounded chicken breasts, rolled up around logs of cream cheese, wrapped bacon around it all and baked em.... Amazing!!!
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For the second week in Aug , I made a roasted saugage ratatoulli with cabbage shreads. Everything in this dish came from our garden but the sausage ,cheese, salt, and butter.
    IMG_20150807_181842.jpg
    1 Large eggplant
    2 Summer squash
    1 Large onion
    4 Hot banana peppers
    3 Fresh tomatoes
    2 Tablespoons fresh basil
    3 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon fennel seed
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 pound breakfast sausage
    4 ounces mozzarella cheese
    2 Tablespoons fresh parsley

In a covered dutch oven brown the sausage
    Chop all veggies in uniform pieces. Drain the sausage but leave enough to coat all veggies.
    Add veggies and salt to the sausage stirring to coat with grease. Cover and roast in a 350 degree oven for one hour. Uncover and slice another tomato on top and cover with cheese and fresh parsley. Bake another 15 minutes umcpvered or until cheese bubbles and melts.
    IMG_20150807_182005.jpg

For the cabbage shreads just shread cabbage and cook in microwave 10 minutes covered in butter and salt to taste.

This was very good but I still freaked out afterward and had a Hershey chocolate bar. Uck.
  • simbartes
    simbartes Posts: 64 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    simbartes wrote: »
    1. I want to try BPC. I've never had the nerve. I restrict my calories and its calorie count is so high that is scares me senseless
    2. I want to replace soy milk (which I drink so little of that it goes off and I have to buy more every few weeks, even though I know I won't drink that much of it). I'm thinking of going straight to heavy cream because I really only use it in coffee and tea.
    3. I want to try some substitutes for bread, so I can have burger buns or a sandwich. It's okay if it doesn't taste exactly like bread, so long as it tastes good.
    4. I want to try those egg recipes that you make in a muffin tin you see everywhere online. They look delicious.

I've brought the muffin tin already, and heavy cream.

Week 1: I tried bullet proof coffee. Delicious and surprisingly filling.
    Also reduced my whole carbs to 10%... Was previously coming net carbs at around 20%
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    More casseroles in the oven to freeze in individual portions for meals after my surgery. I also froze several meals of fresh green beans and the cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in bacon. . 2 pounds of bacon cooked and in the fridge. I will be lucky if there's 1 pound left by Tuesday lol. I will make some cold brewed coffee tomorrow for iced coffee.. . Maybe some chicken salad on Monday. . None of this is very exciting, but it is what I have to do right now to save myself from hubby feeding me fast food lol... Oh I should make some hard boiled eggs, too.. :-D
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @azcowgirrlup You have done a great thing by making these dishes for yourself and freezing them. I know what it's like when the wasband (yep past tense LOL) would bring home doughnuts every single day. Yes definitely make those hard boiled eggs also! You are so clever and bravo for you to give yourself alternatives to eating unhealthy foods!!!
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    @SkinnyKerinny, thank you! I. Did make some hard boiled eggs and tomorrow I will pre slice some celery sticks and some cucumbers. I think I am ok then, oh, I might make some chicken salad.. I did discover that although we have lived here for 10 years, hubby has no clue where anything is kept. I am going to have to leave a lot of stuff out on the counter tops for him lol
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm not actively following this challenge but we made the Crispy Sesame Beef recipe from ruled.me last night and I would definitely recommend it!
  • slimzandra
    Options
    I just ate the weirdest lunch.

This month's First for Women had an article on probiotics- "These nutrients burst fat cells". I fell for the "gotcha" in the grocery line. I bought some recommended foods. The article suggested good probiotics are Tzatziki, miso, sauerkraut, Kimchi, Kefir a few other fermented foods.. Now that I have the foods, I have to think of something creative to do with them.

I mixed these together.. Oddly, the mix of flavors wasn't that bad.
    (Sounds like a ringing endorsement? - read, not for the faint of stomach).

5scfgazry4yj.jpg

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just discovered that Sainsbury's here in the UK carries coconut cream in tetra packs. I mixed it 1:1 with some plain greek yogurt and toasted coconut flakes and it was literally like eating the fluffy whipped topping off a coconut cream pie!
  • toadqueen
    Options
    @slimzandra did you notice any difference in how you felt or digestion? I used to mixed chia seeds with apple cider vinegar, a runny egg yolk, sunflower lecithin, coconut oil and ghee for breakfast. Also surprisingly ingestible.

• toadqueen
    Options
    Duck week is officially over and was delicious. I have a lot left over that I will incorporate into my food diary again later this month.

This week I begin liquids only: broth, protein shakes, eggs (raw, runny?), oils, maybe nut butters. The goal is to give my intestines a break without totally fasting.

No weight loss but the month is still young...
  • slimzandra
    Options
    @toadqueen From yesterday's probiotic experiment, I didn't notice a difference in anything in or out. :D
    My gf suggested I might have some bathroom issues, but nothing of note to report. HAHA.
    I had salmon, tzatziki, cucumber for dinner. Both meals seemed to hold me through the night.

I did try apple cider vinegar, I did the one tablespoon, and then one tablespoon in water, neither is anything I would look forward to again. And because I didn't have the kind with mother, it was probably a waste of time. I like runny yokes and coconut oil. That doesn't seem to bother me either. I think I have "iron gut", not much has an impact. I guess I'm pretty lucky, I can eat spicy food, weird flavor combinations every meal and never have any issues or indigestion, while everyone else is eating tums and pepto.

Ghee sounds interesting, I just read about it on http://www.care2.com/greenliving/15-amazing-benefits-of-ghee.html ..lots of positives! (medium chain fatty acid) "Ghee is one of the 7 healthy fats you need in your kitchen. I also read up on Sunflower Lecithin..(touts anti-aging from free radicals.. I'm in!) .I'm going grocery shopping at Wegman's tonight, see what I find. tx