Horse issues

Options
highflyer88
highflyer88 Posts: 148 Member
ok all need a little advice....we have a 22ish gelding that the owner of the farm we board at keeps telling me he needs seen because his privates look swollen. I was there earlier today checking him over because he has a small wound on his hind leg that has needed medicated. I checked him then because he is a little droopy for lack of better way to describe it. I didn't notice swelling there just the wound on his leg I've been treating. He has been telling me for three weeks that we need SMZ's for him. My problem is I have never dealt with a gelding so have no idea how much this is going to take to fix if there is a problem. Has anyone had issues similar? Can anyone give advise if there is something I can do without the vet trip? Or is the vet the best answer?

Replies

• Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Why an antibiotic to treat swelling with unknown cause? By droopy, do you mean the penis is extended? If that is the case, I can think of a couple 'mechanical' issues that might be causing both the dropping and the swelling: sheath needs to be cleaned; an obstruction of some kind in the tract, perhaps a stone; infection that needs to be treated. Does his stream split? Does he park out but never urinate? Is he running a fever or seem uncomfortable? Could start with a good cleaning and see if that fixes the problem.

We had a gelding pony who swelled up horribly last year but seemed fine otherwise. No fever; was able to urinate fine. Our best guess was reaction to a tick bite -- he had several on him in that area. We put him on stall rest and monitored him a couple days. The owner opted to not call the vet. However, had he been mine, I would have. Certainly, if my SO's genitals swelled that much, I'd insist on a doctor's visit.
  • highflyer88
    Options
    We got him to the vet today....he has a tumor on the end of his penis. We take him Monday for biopsy unless he drops more weight. He went from healthy to where his hip bones are almost showing in just a few days. He cannot pull his penis into the sheath and urinating is not a stream but almost like putting your finger over a water spray to cause it to go everywhere. He is on anti inflammatory meds right now to make him more comfortable. I'm trying to help my husband decide the best course of action. If euthanasia is the best choice that will be done as hard as it will be. Today has been extremely emotionally draining just to hear the fact it may be cancerous.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @highflyer88 hugs....... my thoughts and prayers to you and your husband for good news.
  • highflyer88
    Options
    Thank you. I'm trying to research more about it and what the "experts" say about recovery or even if it's worth attempting surgery. I just don't want to let him suffer too much.
  • showjumper
    Options
    Any word? Update............
  • highflyer88
    Options
    I'm sorry....we ended up having to put him down Thursday. He went from healthy good looking horse with a tumor on his penis to losing over 200 lbs in two days. He could barely stand and had stopped eating/drinking. With the consult of our vet we did the humane thing and let him go as peacefully as we could. We couldn't let him suffer longer. He seemed to know we were doing the best we could for him as he gave my husband a final hug before the meds took effect.
    Thank you for your kind words before.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    *hugs* so hard to let a friend go....
  • highflyer88
    Options
    Thank you!
  • showjumper
    Options
    Awe @highflyer88 I'm sorry you had to make that choice.... hope you and your husband know you did the best you could!! (HUGS)
  • highflyer88
    Options
    Thank you showjumper!