WLS Taboo on this site

Options
kimgravitt3
kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
I'm new to this site. I've started my journey with WLS surgery. This is the only group I've joined. I'm working on my 4 months of journaling of my diet and exercise. 2 months are done. I've finished all my testing and have my psych appointment Friday. My question is this - why is there so much negativity towards people having surgery as a tool to help one lose weight? I've seen some nasty comments made, so that is one reason I've not talked to anyone. I have 200 lbs to lose and have always been big. It took me a long time to make this decision. My bariatric dietician recommended this app and it is wonderful. I've lost 7 lbs so far.

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Cause people on here are single minded asshats. Things I've learned to never bring up are wls, clean eating, paleo, sugar or gluten free. People will go postal!!! They believe that macros and CICO are the only correct ways to lose weight. I take what they have to say with a grain of salt.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I assumed the same thing. Some of the people seem like they are trolling for an argument, jumping from forum to forum. I seen some crazy answers on how to best lose weight lol.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    Just know you have found a great group to be a part of! The people in this group are awesome and supportive!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    People are often critical of what they don't understand. They believe all overweight people are created equal and what works for them should work for all of us, which isn't true. Their lack of knowledge and understanding makes them critical. Just ignore those people. You'll find great people on this site that will offer support and encouragement without trying to sway you away from what works for you mentally and physically. Congrats on the 7 lb loss.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing in the forums. When I first started seriously considering wls I was worried that admitting I need the extra help meant I was a failure...and reading some of those negative posts on this site definitely supported that thought. And I found that a lot of those posts are about people's friends or family members who had surgery and hated it and now they're heavier than when they started and blah blah blah. But once I found this group and started reading discussions by people who are living a new lifestyle and know how to use their surgery as a tool I felt so much better about the decision to go for it.
    Congrats on having the majority of your appointments done and being halfway through your preop diet! I'm having my first appointment next week and I'm excited to get some details on my timeline. Feel free to friend me if you'd like to :smile:
  • 911Chrisy
    911Chrisy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has been said above. The words lazy, junk food eater, over indulgent, stupid, lacking self control, are things I have heard over the years from people who are rude or seemingly just want to help, by teaching me the correct foods to eat, portion control and exercise.
    I think the only advantage of being overweight and obese is having that rare glimpse into a person's true nature.
    If a person can judge based on size alone, then they have truly missed the bigger picture.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Amen sister!
  • Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    911Chrisy wrote: »
    I agree with what has been said above. The words lazy, junk food eater, over indulgent, stupid, lacking self control, are things I have heard over the years from people who are rude or seemingly just want to help, by teaching me the correct foods to eat, portion control and exercise.
    I think the only advantage of being overweight and obese is having that rare glimpse into a person's true nature.
    If a person can judge based on size alone, then they have truly missed the bigger picture.

I agree, the same people who look down on those who are overweight may in the future find themselves trying to lose a substantial amount of weight as well and not have the answers.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think that there is a trollish element in many boards. And some people only feel better when they are attacking others. It's ugly, but it is their problem, not mine. In person, I've gotten a few less then positive responses, but mostly people have been insanely supportive.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It's just like anything else out there in cyberland - many people think that if it isn't right for them, then it can't possibly be right for anyone else, either. And they're gonna make sure that everyone knows that they're judgmental about it. (Personally, I couldn't give two whiffs about the opinions of people who think it's fun to post whether or not they'd kiss the person who posts above or below them, which is 90 percent of what I see posted on the front page on the sidebar whenever I log in.)

The nastiest (thankfully) I've experienced to my face so far is I've had a few people tell me, "Surgery is just not for me." And I respect that. But the reality is that I've dropped 70+ lbs and am the healthiest I have probably ever been while I sit back and watch them bang their heads repeatedly against the wall trying to lose weight because they've become insulin-resistant. I don't say anything because they have to choose what's right for them. But I know this much - HEALTHY is what's right for me and I've found it through WLS, so I KNOW I've made the right choice.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think there is a lot of jealousy in it. Either they feel like they have to work hard to stay thinner than you and therefore you are negating their work when you are also thin or they don't have to work to stay thin but you are somehow leveling the playing field that they previously had a genetic advantage in. You can't let them get to you - it's 100% a function of their own baggage in their own brain and it's a shame they have to deal with those feelings as well. Stay positive, focus on yourself, and hang with people who support you. Be kind to the haters (since they are doing a fair amount of hating themselves) but don't let them in your head.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think quite a bit of it is there are so many sources of BAD information out there (majority of my 600lb life episodes anyone?) and so many incorrect sources on the internet. Had I not had 2 other family members go through it and be very successful, I don't know if I'd be here, post-op, today. Thy helped pave the way for my journey, and showed me that it does work, if you're willing to make the changes and put the work into it.

The negativity is why I only lurk on the main boards, and save my posting for WLS groups. I also have kept my journey private- only my family and a couple of very close friends know what I've done, and they are all supportive. Pre surgery, I only told those who I knew would be supportive, and have slowly added people to that list as I've lost weight and gained confidence. It isn't a secret that I've done WLS, but it is private. And not everyone needs to be privy to your private information until/if you're ready to share with them.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    I totally agree with you blairmundy and sinderstorm. Even though I am very blunt and outspoken, I don't like conflict. I've also had a couple of friends and family members that have had the surgery and did really well. Unfortunately, I've seen the downside when someone has the surgery and doesn't do well. I think what finally convinced me was the rapid weight gain I had after a total thyroidectomy. I was already obese, then gained 55 lbs before the doctor got my TSH levels corrected with medication. It took eight months to get it within normal range. I knew at my age (I'm 56) that I was going to start having serious health problems if I didn't get the weight off.
  • heathergshea
    heathergshea Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We are all stronger mentally and physically having been brave enough to make the wls decision. The community of people we are now part of understand and support the ups and the downs. I think most of us not only look and feel better but are just stronger yet more sensitive people overall. No one likes a triple threat! Hahahha. Ignorance is everywhere but so is open minded people like the folks here. I focus on those people .
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree with all these statements. I think a large part of it also that fat-shaming is so prevalent and acceptable to so many people. WLS might be "the easy way out" as some say, but for me it was the ONLY way out. I personally have told only a very select close group that I have had WLS. I decided this because I'd spent my entire life being judged for being fat, I wasn't going to spend the rest of it being judged for being thin. Do people assume I had WLS, yes. But when they ask I say, "eat less move more" which isn't a lie in my mind because I do eat less and exercise more due to my surgery. I also fully believe that fat-shaming and fat-discrimination is a serious road-block for people who are considering WLS but keep stalling with follow through. I waited until I was 40 because I kept thinking, "how hard can this be? I can do this? I'm not lazy like everyone says I am. I have the discipline to do this! I'll show everyone I'm not a fat slob". Once I stopped feeling like a failure for not being able to lose "the regular way" I swiftly moved forward with WLS. Now I tell my friends I wish I had done this in my 30's...or my 20's! I feel like a wasted those decades feeling less than worthy of general civilizations acceptance. If I felt as good about myself now in my 20's I imagine I would have had the confidence to have made many different decisions in relationship and my career.

In short, I only tell people on this forum I had WLS. The rest of the boards don't need to know.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Holly thanks to you for the wonderful input. Also thanks to Heather and everyone else who have sent a message. It means a lot to have other people sharing their journey with me. Even though I'm just getting started, each perspective helps me in the decisions I make going forward.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    The negative connotation that comes with WLS is to blame for my delaying this for over 5 years. I lost and gained the same 80lbs twice in that time. I'm done being mad about it but it is also the reason that I have kept my WLS private. Life's too short to deal with na-sayers! Good for you on your successful start. Nothing but positive around here! Welcome!! Add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I decided this because I'd spent my entire life being judged for being fat, I wasn't going to spend the rest of it being judged for being thin.

YES to this. Bravo.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Renae I completely understand your opinion. I've faced the same words from people who have been friends for years.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I decided this because I'd spent my entire life being judged for being fat, I wasn't going to spend the rest of it being judged for being thin.

YES to this. Bravo.

Thank you.