feeling guilty

Options
kitubles37
kitubles37 Posts: 8 Member
So me and my boyfriend got into an argument and I just ate so many cookies!! I can't believe I did that... I was under my calorie and now I'm way over... This is the first time I have done tbsp since I started this diet and I'm so mad at myself!!!! If anyone has any suggestions on what they do to stop themselves I would appreciate it.. Thank you

Replies

• earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    After an argument, stomp out of the house and go for a long walk! You avoid the food (especially if you don't take money) and burn some calories! Expending energy usually helps with the stress too.

The thing I usually do, though, is to bury myself in the internet. Not as healthy as going for a walk but it's really good to distract me from most things, including stress and food. TV and books can also help, but I find the internet the most effective. Of course the internet can turn into an addiction of its own, especially when used this way. Better to be addicted to exercise.

If you already start to eat, and catch youself in the middle of it, you need to listen to yourself, put down the food, and leave the room. And maybe go on a walk. ;) The hardest part for me is catching myself and acting upon it. That requires commitment to your weight loss, and when your stressed, your motivation is low.

Even if you eat it all, it's OK though. Tomorrow's another day and you can recommit. One day doesn't define anything!
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    We have all been there , and it is hard!! I have cried, walked, called a friend and get on MFP to read that others are going through the same pain, heartache, struggle, etc. I would say the most important thing is to forgive yourself and move on. Slip ups will happen. But Never let yourself give up- never. Always press on. That is how you will succeed in the end and achieve your goals. Embrace that it may be a long hard process but that you are worth it to be healthy and feel fabulous!!!! You can do it!!!!!
  • kitubles37
    Options
    Thanks so much you too.... I needed to hear this, this morning
  • kitubles37
    Options
    I'm gonna take what both you you had said and try and use it next time.. I'm also gonna try and not be so hard on myself today...
  • fruitydelicious
    Options
    I am learning that for me most of the weight loss battle is struggling with emotions and poor thought processes. I know what I should and should not eat and when I should stop. But still slip up and backslide. I am an addict through and through. BUT this time I am not beating myself up, I am never giving up and I am taking it moment by moment , if necessary. Embracing the struggle has made me quite a bit stronger to fight the good fight day in and day out. I had a horrible night of very little sleep and stayed on MFP until I feel asleep. My usual way of dealing with insomnia is bingeing. The tipping point for me was BELIEVEING I am totally and completely worth the struggle of losing weight. Believe it in your heart and the mind will eventually follow. Or at the very least you can spot the negative thinking; stop it and turn it positive.
  • kitubles37
    Options
    Thank you so much... I needed that
  • walrusd
    walrusd Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We've all been there! I have plenty of times, and I'veade up the weirdest excuses to binge. I think you should let it go. Do not be ashamed of having eaten those cookies. Shame is also an emotion, and should not be linked with food. I think you should try to tell yourself that it's completely okay, happens to everyone and focus on developing other coping mechanisms (instead of repressing this one). And you should be proud this is your first slip up! I've had tooooons :-)
  • kitubles37
    Options
    Ty so much but I slipped up again and I put back on two pounds... I'm trying not to beat myself up over this.. But I feel like I am going from one addiction to another... Today I am two years drug free but since Ive been on this journey I have picked up eating... When things use to make me upset I would get high well now I eat and I'm not sure how tongue this... That KS everyone for there Support
  • walrusd
    walrusd Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's such a great achievement! Congrats on being 2 years drug free! You will get there :-) do not beat yourself up. I've had a thousand slip ups, gained more than 2 lbs after one too. It's alright!
  • kitubles37
    Options
    Ty
  • fruitydelicious
    Options
    I will be praying for you "kit". That is an outstanding achievement to be clean for over two years.
  • Andrea761
    Andrea761 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Binged last night after doing so well. Trying not to be too hard on myself n getting back on it today. Used to be a daily event now prob weekly-progress?
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Make it a distant memory, as you approach your next meal/snack/day! Looking back is often counterproductive. You ARE making progress!
  • 132eerrhh
    132eerrhh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    kitubles37 wrote: »
    I'm gonna take what both you you had said and try and use it next time.. I'm also gonna try and not be so hard on myself today...

Same here!! I definitely get discouraged easily and sometimes, I get so mad at myself for messing up my calorie count that I eat even MORE and then delete my account to restart it the next day... Unhealthy (physically and emotionally) and dishonest.

We all make mistakes! And we can all learn from our mistakes. We all need to recognize that we're beautiful and strong and that we can DO THIS!
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The tipping point for me was BELIEVEING I am totally and completely worth the struggle of losing weight. Believe it in your heart and the mind will eventually follow. Or at the very least you can spot the negative thinking; stop it and turn it positive.

This is spot on. I know what you are going through with the emotional eating. I had a huge blow out fight with my partner two days ago, but surprisingly (for the first time) talked myself out of going into a store and buying some type of chocolate/junk food. Even as I drove passed three stores and two fast food restaurants, I patted myself on the back for avoiding something. It doesn't help you feel better. You feel guilty afterwards. And then shameful. It does nothing but make you feel worse. That's what I tell myself every time. When I get the urge.

You can do it! Two months ago I was focusing on the emotional part and becoming overwhelmed. I let it come, deal with it, and make better choices during and after. And boy does it help!