Exciting salads

Options
2selina
2selina Posts: 25 Member
Hi All,

I recently realised that the reason I don't eat a lot of salad is because I don't really like lettuce. Worryingly I realised this as I removed it from my whopper burger at BK! Anyway, I am now looking for tasty salads with less lettuce and more oomph.

Last night I made a roast cauliflower salad. You can find the recipe on BBC food if you search it. It has spinach leaves, red onions and some marinated raisins and dry roasted nuts. I love it so much I'll be making more at the weekend!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Selina

Replies

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Black beans, corn, chopped tomatoes, diced red onion, jalapeño if you like it spicy, avocado if you have room for the calories. Drizzle it with Newman's Own light Lime dressing. If you have a little left you can throw it on a taco or use as a dip for tortilla chips!
  • 2selina
    2selina Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    mpat81 wrote: »
    Black beans, corn, chopped tomatoes, diced red onion, jalapeño if you like it spicy, avocado if you have room for the calories. Drizzle it with Newman's Own light Lime dressing. If you have a little left you can throw it on a taco or use as a dip for tortilla chips!
    Sounds amazing! Will make my own dressing so I can count the calories. I always try to leave room for a little Avacado. The creamy goodness makes salad better. Thank you!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I like a cabbage/carrot salad that can easily be made from the coleslaw packages. Top with sunflower seeds, craisins, a little dressing........Sometimes I'll put leftover cooked vegetables on it, too.
  • leroberts6
    leroberts6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Southern Living Light on-line has some very good no-lettuce salads. I made the Farmer's Market Pasta salad for a luncheon with friends and it was a hit! I left the pasta separate for less carbs. The rest of the ingredients are fresh zucchini, corn sliced off the cob (uncooked), red pepper, tomato,and fresh peaches (I was skeptical but it was yummy!), grilled chicken, cilantro and basil. Instead of the Parmesan Vinaigrette I made a white balsamic vinaigrette.

This salad is easily adaptable to any vegetable groupings that you like: black or white beans, jalapenos, avocado, etc...or even tuna and or hard cooked egg :)

If you haven't tried white balsamic vinegar, it is amazing and a nice trade off with regular balsamic!!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Siced zucchini,cuucumbers,red onion, green & red peppers 2 cans of beans.....your choice...rinsed & drained.I like garbanzo,black & kidney or white beans. Mix olive oil ,rice vinegar with garlic,Italian seasoning....S&P.Drizzle over salad.Cover tightly & keep in fridge. I turn the container over now & then.Good for several days.Can serve alone or over mixed greens.