What motivates you to stay on track?

Options
marekdds
marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
I was discussing this with some Mfp ers. Upon reflection, for me, the three biggest are - my almost 90 year old mom in a scooter. If I make it to 90, I want to be on my own two feet. Dementia runs rampant in my family, my dad, his sisters/brothers, my sister (only (66) all down that road. I have read massive amounts on the subject. Healthy diets, mostly plant based and exercise are key markers in, at least, slowing it down. Last, my fat pics, I can't go there again. I have worked too hard and too long to go back to eating like a self-indulgent moron, ( I do have my goodies, but within reason). My health is more important. I need to do this for me, for my family. What motivates you?

Replies

• marekdds
    Options
    Oh, yeah, and all the people here, super supportive!
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My fat pictures are also a huge motivator. Plus, I feel so much better! I am trying to avoid knee surgery as long as possible. I know it is coming, but with weight loss I am hoping to not have to do it yet.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Today I achieved a Person High in Wattage at Spin today. It's little things like that, that keep me going.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I think back to how miserable I felt physically and mentally in the years before I started. Don't ever want to go back there. If I'm not going forward I'll be going backwards. Works every time!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I think for me it's really just how strong and healthy I feel now compared to the way I felt a couple of years ago. As long as I don't forget that lousy feeling I doubt I'll ever back slide. And I'm having fun anyway. Also, the clothes.............I've spent too much money buying smaller sizes and have gotten rid of the larger sizes..... :D
  • marekdds
    Options
    Oh, yeah! Forgot about the clothes. Started around 22?? I think. Now I am a 4-6. Whoo hoo! Even my feet got smaller, and I can wear heels. Couldn't do that when I was fat.
  • luluinca
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Oh, yeah! Forgot about the clothes. Started around 22?? I think. Now I am a 4-6. Whoo hoo! Even my feet got smaller, and I can wear heels. Couldn't do that when I was fat.

Well, I'll never be a 4-6 but I'm happy at a 10..........LOL. And yeah the shoe thing is really weird right? I couldn't believe how big some of my shoes felt after about a 50 lb loss.

I'm shopping tomorrow for a dress to wear to a semi-formal wedding next weekend and I'm actually looking forward to shopping for a change...... :p

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm playing for high stakes. I was fit when I had my first heart attack in Feb/14. I was 185, running 5 k's a couple times a week, had done 7 miles in deep snow bow hunting two days before, and led a fire attack the day before. That was what dropped me the next day, smoke inhalation thickened my blood enough that an unknown 95% blocked coronary artery got hit with a clog. Anyway, that's history. I work out every day with very few exceptions, and after over feeding my powerlifting, am now at 186.5 heading for 175, with most of it lean mass. My strength and fitness levels are the best they've ever been. I tell the firefighters that if the second heart attack waiting out there finds me, I'm strong enough now I'll carry my own damn coffin.
  • luluinca
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    I'm playing for high stakes. I was fit when I had my first heart attack in Feb/14. I was 185, running 5 k's a couple times a week, had done 7 miles in deep snow bow hunting two days before, and led a fire attack the day before. That was what dropped me the next day, smoke inhalation thickened my blood enough that an unknown 95% blocked coronary artery got hit with a clog. Anyway, that's history. I work out every day with very few exceptions, and after over feeding my powerlifting, am now at 186.5 heading for 175, with most of it lean mass. My strength and fitness levels are the best they've ever been. I tell the firefighters that if the second heart attack waiting out there finds me, I'm strong enough now I'll carry my own damn coffin.

Nothing like an unexpected health scare to get our a**** in gear. I had a similar experience but it wasn't my heart. Food poisoning almost killed me............and now I'm a new me!!!

• Farback
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

Nothing like an unexpected health scare to get our a**** in gear. I had a similar experience but it wasn't my heart. Food poisoning almost killed me............and now I'm a new me!!!

What was your experience through that? I was dead ( by heart function) a couple times through my week in hospital. I'm not religious, and have been a practicing Bhuddist for many years. I was surprised by my complete lack of fear of death through the entire process. I went into it knowing what was happening (as a firefighter I've attended many cardiac events) and I was completely calm, and given the life I've lead, and my happiness with family, kids and grandkids, ready to die if it happened. It was an experience which, once out the other side, has left me with no fear, and a level of peace I've never known.
  • luluinca
    Options

What was your experience through that? I was dead ( by heart function) a couple times through my week in hospital. I'm not religious, and have been a practicing Bhuddist for many years. I was surprised by my complete lack of fear of death through the entire process. I went into it knowing what was happening (as a firefighter I've attended many cardiac events) and I was completely calm, and given the life I've lead, and my happiness with family, kids and grandkids, ready to die if it happened. It was an experience which, once out the other side, has left me with no fear, and a level of peace I've never known.

I don't really remember much of the first couple of days in the hospital...............I'd been sick for nearly six weeks and was pretty miserable by the time I landed in the ER. The bacteria got into my blood stream and I became septic and barely made it through that, but I don't really recall feeling anything other than sick. I wasn't scared though as far as I remember.

It took a long time for the doctors, mine and the hospital staff, to figure out what had happened to me and I was frustrated with that.

Mine wasn't anything like yours...............I never realized how close I came to dying until it was all over....LOL

• hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I find your story very inspiring and interesting! I've been interested in NDE's since my mom died 27 years ago and read all kinds of articles and books on the subject. Do you remember any of those moments/experiences? Thank you for what you do also by the way!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Looking good. Feeling good. Being strong. And I get a boat load of health and fitness magazines plus I surround myself with link-minded individuals.
  • jjmariposa
    jjmariposa Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sheer willpower and determination. I want a change and I have recognized that I truly feel better when I stick to the plan. Yesterday I was eating saltines here and there and realized I don't really like them anymore. I've had days where I grazed through a whole package. Yesterday I ate a fraction of that and it wasn't worth it - not much taste to them. I've decided I'd rather stick to the plan with the potential outcome than eat too much of anything.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Death motivates me.

I might be here for another week or another forty years, either way I plan on enjoying the time I have left. Being unfit and immobile would remove much of the joy of living.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    The fear of regaining it all and having to lose it all again. Again. I don't think I have the wherewithal for another go round after this. This Is It.
  • Farback
    Options

I find your story very inspiring and interesting! I've been interested in NDE's since my mom died 27 years ago and read all kinds of articles and books on the subject. Do you remember any of those moments/experiences? Thank you for what you do also by the way!

Hi Carol

Nope, absolutely no recollection of the events. I told people I saw Elvis, but not really. I'm not a believer in an afterlife, but who really knows? I was 'away' briefly by heart function, but not brain dead. At least no more brain dead than any male of my age.

Kirk

• prplhaz300
    prplhaz300 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new to group but loved this discussion. I hang clothes I really want to wear and look good in in various areas so I see them at random times. But my biggest inspiration is my 7 year granddaughter and 14 year old son. I have other kids and grandkids but these two live with me and I am tired of not being able to do with them the things I did with my older kids cuz I am just too fat. Exercise is my biggest hurdle because at 302#, I just get so tired and there is so much to do in my life, with little help, so time is difficult. Am sticking with healthy eating, aggressively, so far. Looking forward to reading about others!!

Chris from CT
  • marekdds
    Options
    Chris, don't give up. I was like you. Too tired to do anything. Keep at it, it is so worth it.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris, I'm like you, the kids are really a big part of my motivation too. I've got an 18 yr old son that's very active and two grandsons, 3 & 1 that just live a mile from us. After a bad day at work on Tuesday, I went over to see them and we were wrestling on their front lawn, I couldn't of done that last year. You can do this, just keep working at it one day at a time.