Dogs

Options
124»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how many of y'all feed your dogs LC diets?
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I feed all my animals grain free food, especially my cats as I feel they are better adapted to it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I add the leftover LCHF food to my dogs food. He has seemed to thrive after I began to add it to his food.
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    what does one feed their dog to feed LC? Doesn't all dog food have fillers in it?
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No, I don't feed LC, but I did make sure Chicken is the first ingredient, if that means anything.

The dogs get Nurto Toy breed and my cat gets indoor science diet, which he is really not crazy about.
  • pondsbb
    Options
    No, I don't feed LC, but I did make sure Chicken is the first ingredient, if that means anything.

The dogs get Nurto Toy breed and my cat gets indoor science diet, which he is really not crazy about.

Thanks I'll look into that but none of my dogs are toy breeds.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I had read that coconut oil can help a dog that scratches a lot. I started giving Molly coconut oil before I went Keto. I still get her some dry dog food but feed her some kind of real meat everyday. I think it makes a difference.

I started giving my cats real tuna everyday instead of canned cat food and they are very pleased about that. I think there coats are better now, which seems like the best general indicator of health to me.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Watch the tuna with the cats. It's not good for them outside of an occasional treat. I had to learn that the hard way when my cat of 12 years got yellow fat disease. She loved tuna!

blog.petmeds.com/1800petmeds/is-tuna-bad-for-cats/
  • pondsbb
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    I had read that coconut oil can help a dog that scratches a lot. I started giving Molly coconut oil before I went Keto. I still get her some dry dog food but feed her some kind of real meat everyday. I think it makes a difference.

I started giving my cats real tuna everyday instead of canned cat food and they are very pleased about that. I think there coats are better now, which seems like the best general indicator of health to me.

Maybe I could buy my dogs canned chicken..thanks for the ideas.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many of y'all feed your dogs LC diets?

Our ferrel cat does his own version of LC. He kills snakes, moles, mice, little skunks ( yes they can spray when they're little) , rabbits, squirrels, baby wood chucks and more birds than you can shake a stick at. He has taken on oppossums but that just turns out to be a battle royal. We leave him a bowl of Purina Naturals but I think he uses it for bait for his natural protein.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I essentially feed the pup low carb. I opt for a grain free, corn/soy free, potato free, chicken free (allergies) dry food...though there are chickpeas and peas in it, multiple proteins are always the first few ingredients. I like to add either grain free/limited ingredient wet food, scrambled egg, or sardines to each meal...and as mentioned above, I also add coconut oil to at least one of her meals.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Since ET has Megaesopghagus I have to freeze his food into meatballs, feeding him a few every few hours. I use a mix of dry puppy chow (smaller in size, and recommended by Neuro Vet), canned, and any meat drippings/meat leftovers that haven't been used, mix it all together then use my melon baller to dip it onto wax paper for freezing. ET seems to be doing better with this woe than he has in a while. Seeing more energy. Is still muscle wasting, but hopefully we have slowed the progression. What we do for our furbabies <3
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    qaa901szmc4m.jpg My 'old lady'... Ladybug and HER puppy... Barrett

jtgpsi7l8lmp.jpg

• abi111
    abi111 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    6o4akr2l5jfk.jpg

this is max. he isn't on a LC diet as he is really is my parent's dog. he lots of liver and cheese though.
    when we used to feed him meds we squished them in peanut better or cream cheese. i hope the fat wasn't why they didn't work as he has behavioral issues and they were suppose to calm him down so we could train him easier.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh I love these DOGS so much. This is the best thread ever!!

My dogs eat organic home made food (or organic raw food) and almost all of that is grass fed. My older dog, SoLow, who is 13, appears to have some minor inflammation issues so I no longer feed him raw chicken drumsticks since that is considered a "hot" food in Chinese medicine. He is getting fish, turkey, beef and lamb protein only with home grown alfalfa sprouts, greens on rotation and veggies like sweet potato instead of the chicken. I'm trying to give more veggies than meat since the vet said his protein levels are also a bit high. Both dogs also get Seameal powder supplement and mushroom powder mixed in with their food. They also get glandulars at least 1 to 3 times per week like liver or heart, etc. They only like veggies and meat-- no fruit.

I'm starting the first batch of bone broth tomorrow so they will get that too but so far none of us has had it yet.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh also forgot to add that they get a mix of cooked and raw foods
  • pondsbb
    Options
    Oh I love these DOGS so much. This is the best thread ever!!

My dogs eat organic home made food (or organic raw food) and almost all of that is grass fed. My older dog, SoLow, who is 13, appears to have some minor inflammation issues so I no longer feed him raw chicken drumsticks since that is considered a "hot" food in Chinese medicine. He is getting fish, turkey, beef and lamb protein only with home grown alfalfa sprouts, greens on rotation and veggies like sweet potato instead of the chicken. I'm trying to give more veggies than meat since the vet said his protein levels are also a bit high. Both dogs also get Seameal powder supplement and mushroom powder mixed in with their food. They also get glandulars at least 1 to 3 times per week like liver or heart, etc. They only like veggies and meat-- no fruit.

I'm starting the first batch of bone broth tomorrow so they will get that too but so far none of us has had it yet.

Awesome dog menu! I do fix my dogs broth to mix with their hard food but their hard food has fillers in it. I'm looking into that. It might help our hound to be off the fillers.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    A picture of my Cocker Spaniel

pjt0otx9200z.jpg

We have a cocker, too. Just love their little faces!

6t2lemy8lwep.jpg

hahahaha This dog is clearly *starving* and MUST have some of that yummy food immediately. lololol