It's LCHF but...

ambergem1969
ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
Is there anything you ate that should have been good...but really wasn't?

I forgot my breakfast/lunch bag a week ago and stopped by a fast food place and ordered two breakfast sandwiches. I ditched the buns - so it was 2 eggs, possibly three slices of bacon and the remnants of processed cheese slices that weren't still stuck to the bun. I stacked them and ate it with a knife and fork.

So. Not. Good. The egg tasted terrible, the bacon was okay (cause its BACON) and I had forgotten how horrible salty and chemically cheese slices are.

I loved breakfast sandwiches pre LCHF...but now I think I just liked the biscuit/English muffin/bagel.

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I think it's the fake butter that makes it taste funny too.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Short of fried eggs, bacon, coffee I find eating out to be a very wild card.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Once you reset your palate, you can TASTE the artificial stuff in there. So if they use margarine, or the food has a lot of preservatives, it can taste off. You no longer have the bread masking it.

Like GaleHawkins said, it's hit and miss eating out. Especially for stuff like breakfast sandwiches or burgers. I hate most processed cheeses...blurgh.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Are we talking McD? I don't like the cheese-like substance, but I think the eggs are real. Only in the McMuff's, though. Get the biscuit thing or the scrambled eggs, and all bets are off.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/27/are-mcdonalds-eggs-real-fast-food-giant-cracks-mystery.html
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    wabmester wrote: »
    Are we talking McD? I don't like the cheese-like substance, but I think the eggs are real. Only in the McMuff's, though. Get the biscuit thing or the scrambled eggs, and all bets are off.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/27/are-mcdonalds-eggs-real-fast-food-giant-cracks-mystery.html

Ew!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    "The supplier then sends light through the eggs to find imperfections and discards defective eggs." If these eggs are "so fresh some of them are still warm" and all laid "same day," just what kinds of imperfections would you find by candling them? As someone who has 2 flocks of hens, I'm honestly curious about this one. Maybe a double yolk would be considered an imperfection? Tiny blood clot? I do candle my eggs occasionally and have never seen a blood clot, even though they sometimes are visible when the egg is cracked. I'd think it would have to be a significant clot or deformity to be visible while candling.

Also, I find the liquid egg ingredient list a little surprising. Wouldn't have guessed there were quite so many things added...
  • ambergem1969
    It wasn't McD - Tim Hortons...it was sad...
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    Once you reset your palate, you can TASTE the artificial stuff in there. So if they use margarine, or the food has a lot of preservatives, it can taste off. You no longer have the bread masking it.

Like GaleHawkins said, it's hit and miss eating out. Especially for stuff like breakfast sandwiches or burgers. I hate most processed cheeses...blurgh.

Agree. I can't believe I used to love fast food. Now it all tastes fake and cobbled together (parts are parts grossness). Yuck. I regret ever paying good money for bad food!
  • ambergem1969
    So I think the moral of the story is, don't try to hard to deconstruct fast food because the whole really is greater than the sum of its parts. Considering how "manufactured" it all is, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    since i started making my own chocolate fat bombs- the taste of reg chocolate is just soo yuck anymore-
    so sad- LOL
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    I haven't enjoyed a single thing I ate while out since starting VLC in February, when I switched to as-whole-as-I-can-manage foods. I can taste the chemicals in the food when I eat out. My husband occasionally wants Five guys and depending on the situation I may get it too, but I don't prefer it. There's a salad he really likes at Buffalo Wild Wings and I've tried building the ideal keto burger there but it's always gross. I just eat the wings and then... steak when I get home. :D
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Ever since going carnivore, I have been supremely disappointed by restaurants' burgers. :lol:

Seriously, even places like Red Robin, who I once thought had huge burgers, are disappointing to me now. Once you strip away all the additives, the burger that's left is pretty sad indeed. Definitely a case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    "The supplier then sends light through the eggs to find imperfections and discards defective eggs." If these eggs are "so fresh some of them are still warm" and all laid "same day," just what kinds of imperfections would you find by candling them? As someone who has 2 flocks of hens, I'm honestly curious about this one. Maybe a double yolk would be considered an imperfection? Tiny blood clot? I do candle my eggs occasionally and have never seen a blood clot, even though they sometimes are visible when the egg is cracked. I'd think it would have to be a significant clot or deformity to be visible while candling.

Also, I find the liquid egg ingredient list a little surprising. Wouldn't have guessed there were quite so many things added...

I candle fairly regularly, one flock of hens who like to hide their eggs sometimes, and I've never found anything that I would have discarded an egg for. Blood clots have to be at least half the size of a dime to show on candling from my experience.
  • ambergem1969
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Ever since going carnivore, I have been supremely disappointed by restaurants' burgers. :lol:

Seriously, even places like Red Robin, who I once thought had huge burgers, are disappointing to me now. Once you strip away all the additives, the burger that's left is pretty sad indeed. Definitely a case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts.

This! Plus I'm finished eating before everyone else because I have tons less food and they are working their way through that giant bun and plate of fries.

I did get a steak and cheese wrap without the wrap this weekend and it was actually pretty yummy though I was sad to push aside the onions that had been very lightly breaded and deep fried...they looked really tasty.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Going semi-low carb, I usually look at the salad menu... Only to discover that most of the time, all but maybe one salad is loaded with sugary ingredients, even before the processed, sweet salad dressing enters the picture. There's always at least one thing I have to ask them to take out, or remove myself, and then I have to pay for extra meat. The extra fat is often free, though--butter or sour cream.
  • ambergem1969
    I usually check out the salads and then move on to whatever I can easily remove the carbs from.

These days, I'm trying to remind myself that I'm outing out to be with my friends/family - its the experience of company and not the food that's important.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    The worst part of eating out for me is the cost. Why pay Soooo much for something I can make better at home? Plus, I worry about added sugars and starches and my plate ends up being steak and veggies with butter...can be done at home. I asked for a salad once but thought to ask what kind of oil they offered and was told it was soybean. I immediately changed my order.
    Meanwhile I watched my children scarf down the rolls and potatoes with their meals, sighing and shaking my head.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    We eat out a lot on the weekends, but I avoid fast food and was avoiding it prior to low carbing. Except for Five Guys and Chik-fil-A, they were my only exceptions. I noticed I always felt ick after eating anything at McDonald's, as in heart racing stomach ill and blood pressure going sky high. Wendy's was the only one that didn't do that to me but really could give or take it.

Eating out for us now means either a buffet or steak place, mostly steak places. It's not cheap by no means, that's for sure. I usually get a steak and whatever steamed/grilled veggie options they have. But it's our weekly date night so it's worth it. Also, Chik-fil-a's grilled nuggets taste delicious and are great when I am in a bind.

I do miss Five Guys though. I can't trust myself right now to be around the fries. Give me another month and I might test out a lettuce burger there though.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    I'm fighting a five guys urge right now. :)
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    We gave up on Subway. I couldn't get my fats high enough so by dinner I was hungry. This past weekend we went to the diner. Surprisingly it was easy for me. 1/2 pound burger, 3 slices tomato, romaine lettuce & mayo. The waitress had no problem with "hold the bun and fries". It hit the spot. :)