Love affair gone bad

Options
deksgrl
deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
So, my life long love affair with ice cream seems to be over. I was a total ice cream hound. I would have three or four 1.5 quart cartons of different flavors in the freezer at any given time. I would eat it for breakfast or any time of the day. Usually daily.

Wednesday, I had a lunch out for work and didn't plan ahead what I was going to eat so ended up with too much carbs. I didn't feel great the rest of the day and then that evening the ice cream carton called my name. The old "I want it, and I screwed up today already....." thought overtook my mind so I helped myself to a big bowl.

It. Didn't. Even. Taste. Good.

WTF?????? How could this be? My love, my ice cream. After two days of intestinal distress, now I am disgusted, you make me sick.

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I make keto friendly ice cream.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I completely understand this! When I have told friends or family that sweets don't even taste good to me anymore, I swear they look at me like they are thinking "Yeah. Right. Just because you choose not to eat it, don't expect me to believe you don't think it's good".
    My daughter wanted me to have some of her birthday ice cream cake with her. She really thought I was truly depriving myself and kept saying one small piece wasn't going to wreck my diet. I agreed but I tried telling her that I honestly didn't want any. We settled that I would have one bite. It tasted like a spoonful of cold, wet sugar.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    In a general sense animals will not eat foods they do not like.

I know what you mean about how bad things now taste the I could would take away from others if I had chance a year ago. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ice cream... That just seems like such a betrayal. ;)
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oh no. I honestly don't want to get where I can't enjoy ice cream or potato or tomato or corn. These are some of life's variety and I'm thinking maybe Keto is not for me. I'm going to up my carbs to just under 100 for a while. Maybe just "lower" carb is more in line with my lifestyle.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    pondsbb wrote: »
    Oh no. I honestly don't want to get where I can't enjoy ice cream or potato or tomato or corn. These are some of life's variety and I'm thinking maybe Keto is not for me. I'm going to up my carbs to just under 100 for a while. Maybe just "lower" carb is more in line with my lifestyle.

In my case, I am sensitive to all the foods you list: dairy, nightshades, and all grains including corn. I still indulge occasionally knowing that it will negatively impact my well-being.

I think some people do much better increasing carbs for a time and then changing it up again. Or even carb cycling. We're talking about long term health improvement and not deprivation. I hope the change works for you @pondsbb.

• pondsbb
    Options
    Thanks toadqueen. I understand how your body reactions make one avoid but in my case I have no food allergies.

It sort of scared me thinking my tastebuds might change. I can sort of see it happening because I'm not really "craving" items.

It feels good to be in control but I don't want to loose my lifestyle of variety. If something would start to taste like cardboard
    ..kind of like telling me I could no longer enjoy ...gosh I don't know I have to think about this thing.
  • pondsbb
    Options
    I'm going to leave the group. I don't want to be a pivot to good people that are doing this woe for health reasons when I'm getting so wishy washy and unsure about it. hugs to all
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Well, I'm not doing extremely low carb, my goal was "under 100" I'm not doing like 20g. I do eat an occasional potato and corn and eat tomatoes all the time. It is just the added sugar kind of treats taste funny to me.

• azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @pondsbb , not everyone here is Keto. We are labeled a low carb group, some are Keto and some are low to moderate carb. You don't need to leave the group.
  • Goooosfraba333
    Goooosfraba333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am actually super glad that you posted this, because I'm craving ice cream super bad right now...I'm hoping that someday I'll be able to not like it much anymore!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For me, the sugar saturated things like ice cream and cake are no longer appealing and don't taste good anymore because they are waaaaay too sweet.
    The wonderful thing about this, that I don't think you realize, is that so many other lower sugar and no sugar things taste to me the way the saturated treats used to.
    This would not be something to try to avoid happening. It's freakin' awesome!
    When I make a bowl of low carb vanilla yogurt (8oz.) and add in some shavings of 85% dark chocolate and it tastes as sweet as ice cream... That's a huge win! My "ice cream" is about 130 calories, 8 carbs but also happens to give me 13g protein.
    I am not missing sugar saturated treats because I still have sweetness in my life in other forms that are every bit as satisfying as those things once were.
    You're not going to mess up your taste buds, you will make them more sensitive and able to detect richer and better flavors.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @pondsbb , not everyone here is Keto. We are labeled a low carb group, some are Keto and some are low to moderate carb. You don't need to leave the group.

Very true. I am Keto to manage my arthritis pain to sidestep the cancer, etc risks associated with Enbrel injections for pain. I was a carb abuser for about 40 years doing 1000-2000+ carb calories daily. I would not be messed up today had I only been eating 120 grams of carbs daily I expect.

• htecky76
    htecky76 Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm going to leave the group. I don't want to be a pivot to good people that are doing this woe for health reasons when I'm getting so wishy washy and unsure about it. hugs to all
    I don't think you need to leave the group!! From what I understand there are a lot of people on here that are 100 carbs are lower a day. This group is actually very diverse in that sense. The only thing that seems constant is people are watching their carbs to whatever level they wish.
    There a lot of people on here that are very natural; only grass fed meat, organic vegs and cage free eggs etc. Then you have people that eat anything as long as they stay within their carb range, there are some that say, "never ever allow yourself a treat, its horrible for you, don't do it,why would you want to do that to your body", and then there are those that carb cycle, or do IF. No matter which level you're doing it's nice to be part of the group so you can see recipes and advice from people who are like-minded. When you see a post from someone who is doing the same as you; like a hundred carbs or lower, and allowing themselves tomatoes and corn etc, friend them! Then you guys can have your discussions without feeling like other people are cutting you down.
    This is just my opinion of course, but I would hate to see you leave a group that truthfully has a lot to offer even with the decision that you choose to follow. I personally am trying to drop a lot of weight so I am one of the 20 net carbs or lower a day people but I am NOT a clean diet only person. I would like to go there but right now, this is enough of an adjustment for me; and cost differance. I know my limits and how many changes I can make at once so I am buying more organic and I am watching things more closely (just so I can see what I'm eating so I know where I need to go next) but I am definitely not able to call myself a clean diet, low carb has been a huge adjusyment for me because most of my diet consisted of MOSTLY pasta and grains, and I haven't had the feeling great feeling that everyone else seems to have, I think maybe it's because I've always been high carb so it's taking me longer to adapt. Anyway I'm just sharing that with you because I too am different from a lot of people on here Best of luck to you!!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Don't leave. We welcome all low carbers, regardless of the level.

Tastes do change. I loved Twinkies for the longest time. They were my hardest thing to give up and one of my biggest temptations. Eventually, I did have one as a cheat. It was "ok" at best. I can't remember why I thought they were so awesome. Probably tied to good memories as a kid and teen. But those memories still exist, even if I don't want Twinkies anymore. Similar thing with French fries. They just don't give me that same joy.

That doesn't mean I am up happy with the foods I do love now. Tastes change and mature. It isn't always a bad thing.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    That's why this group is so perfect! Everyone is very supportive of others preferred methods. Nobody ever says "you absolutely need to do this or never ever do that". Even if someone notices something they think may be counter productive to your goal, typically what you will hear is "maybe consider changing this thing. Because in my experience..." and "it's possible this or that"
    It's really a great group of open minded people that actually listen to what you're saying and don't assume they have all the answers. Information is presented from personal experience and supporting science. Geez, even un-supporting science is considered many times.
    And even when people have contrasting opinions, it never turns into an ugly debate like I've seen other places.
    @pondsbb If you want to be part of a supportive group that will cheer you on and help pick you up if needed, you're in the right place.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I strongly believe if I had limited carbs to 100-150 grams daily 40 years ago I could have avoided a lot of pain in many ways. I plan to stay under 50 grams of the rest of my life now that my health is starting to recover.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry!!! pond came back. YAY

:sunglasses:
  • pondsbb
    Options
    Hi im back. Thanks so much for the support. I know now that even if this woe doesn't work out for me at least there are supportive people in this group. Thank you all soooo much. Great group for sure.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    We all want you to succeed, whatever that means for you.