Psych appointment complete

Options
kimgravitt3
kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
I have finished one of my last hurdles today. My psychological profile is complete and I'm not crazy lol. I was told I was the most prepared person for WLS surgery that he had ever met! I told him when you have been heavy all your life you've study every possible way to lose weight, good or bad. Have a great day WLS partners!

Replies

• krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congrats :smile: That must have been nice to get some recognition for all your preparation!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Is this an insurance requirement for some companies? I had another friend who had WLS in October 2013 ask me how my psych eval went but I never had to do one.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

cmchandler74, yes, some insurance plans require the evaluation, but not all. If you want/need to know if your plan requires it, call the number on the back of your card and inquire.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Yes my insurance makes you go through 4 months of seminars, psych appt and dietician appts plus the bariatric dietician appts. I should be well prepared with two dieticians!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My psychological evaluation was required by my surgeon, and covered by insurance. I went into it thinking of it as checking the box, but found her assessment much more thorough than I excepted, and very insightful. It helped me frame my issues with food, helped me anticipate triggers for negative behaviors (especially eating behaviors), educated me about addiction transfer, and anticipated relationship issues. While my wife is thrilled with the new me, and has been very supportive, as I become the smaller member of the couple she's feeling like she's somehow failing. If your plan doesn't include a psych evaluation, you can educate yourself about most of these issues. Just don't hesitate to reach out for professional help if you need to later on. In many respects wrapping your brain around the new you can be more challenging than the physical hurdles.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    I totally agree. I was quite surprised by how thorough the Dr. was. My insurance also covers six free visits. I'm sure I will take advantage in the future.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had to do a seminar, two support group sessions (but since I love them, I still go every month) and 7 months of weigh-ins. I may be a little crazy, but I'd like to think I would have passed a psych eval. :smile:
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I was happy to see the heavy requirements for surgery from my insurance company. Beyond the physical tests, 2 psych evals (1 pre and 1 post), 6 months of nutritionist appts, and the requirement that I remain compliant for 10 years, else they won't pay for anything bariatric ever again. I'm ok with this. It's definitely an added motivator to eat right and make all my appointments.
  • alviar26
    alviar26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have mine on Saturday. :#