Meal Prep Ideas/ Recipes

Options
degeorgeff
degeorgeff Posts: 46 Member
Football Season has arrived in my household and that means I am constantly on the run between practices and activities. I barely have enough time to think let alone cook. What are some of your favorite healthy recipes and snacks? Any crock Pot Ideas? Where are all my meal preppers at? All suggestions are welcome whether simple or complex!! Victory loves preparation and we are going to Win! :)

Replies

• cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know if this is too simple, but how about banana pancakes? They are my favorite healthy item to make! I find that 1 banana, 2/3 c oats, 1/2 c milk, and 1 egg gives the perfect consistency for the batter and makes about 9 pancakes. They even have a slight Sweet banana taste, so I like to just have them plain or with strawberries. Also, spaghetti squash is a great option. You can roast in the oven if you want multiples or just in the microwave. It really does taste so much like sphaghetti, but you just have to season it really well and use a great pasta sauce because the squash alone is bland and a tad bitter. Cooked sphaghetti squash can also be stored in the freezer for months.
  • rjneeley
    rjneeley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We just hit cross country and marching band season in my house with 3 kids going in totally different directions so I totally feel your pain. We'll likely be doing more sandwiches in the car after the meets, and eating before we head to the band shows. I think my crockpot will be getting used a lot too. That's my biggest suggestion to anyone who runs kids all over the place for practices and games and such -- use that crockpot! You can make very healthy soups and stews and casseroles, toss a loaf of sliced french bread in a bag to keep it fresh, grab some bottled water and paper plates and plastic utensils and your homemade dinner becomes a tailgate party too! Or make some sandwiches, have carrots/celery/apples on the side, etc.
  • lynnsmith312
    lynnsmith312 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to reduce my sugar grams. Anyone have some low to no sugar recipes?
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Pork tenderloins in a crockpot. Cook until falling apart. Drain. Shred. Add bbq sauce or desired seasonings. Can be served on buns, rice, pasta, in mexican, or just alone if you are avoiding carbs.

Now, I know this is going to sound really weird, but I pour a little root beer on mine for the cooking. I PROMISE it does not taste like root beer. I don't even like root beer. I think the acid in the soda must help tenderize it...but I'm not sure.

Anyway, this is about as easy as it gets!

PS You don't have to use the tenderloins, but they are lower in fat and I only buy them when they are on sale. Depending on the size of your family one might do it, but I always do at least two.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options

I've cut sugar significantly too. My meals are mostly meat, fish, or eggs plus fat plus veggies. Hit the protein and veggies hard...they will fill you up and your cravings for sugar will start to decrease.

• Lnature71
    Lnature71 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A good tip on how to shred chicken to save time if you cook chicken breast in the crockpot use a hand mixer to shred it. It literally take under 60sec to do so and you do it while its hot. Other meat should work too.
  • jjacks1986
    jjacks1986 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try egg squares for a snack or even breakfast: blend 6 large eggs with a cup of cottage cheese, finely chop mushrooms, peppers, spring onion, tomatoes (peeled and pips removed) - as much of then as you want!! mix together, pour it in a baking form, sprinkle with some low fat shredded cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes at 200 Celsius!
    you can also mix in lean ham or turkey bacon or make it more of a snack/lunch thing by adding kidney beans or black beans adding nd corn

play around with different veggies and spices to make it mexican, italian, greek....The possibilities are endless! :)
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe that I copied off MFP a year or so ago and just made it for the first time last month. We all loved it

Cathy in NS

Chicken Fahita Crockpot
    Ingredients:
    1lb. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (I put mine in frozen)
    1/2 cup of salsa
    1 bag frozen sweet corn
    1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can of Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilies
    Chili Powder
    S&P
    1/2 block of cream cheese (I use 1/3 fat free)
    1 small onion diced

Directions:
    Put chicken in crock pot and cover with all ingredients except for cream cheese.
    Add in chili powder and S & P to taste. I sprinkle it all on the top and add more later if needed.
    Cook for 3-4 hours on high, 7-8 hours on low.
    Shred the chicken and mix it all in along with the cream cheese until melted. Let cook for another 15-20 minutes until heated through.
    Serve over rice or in tortillas as tacos/burritos.
    I usually top it with some shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes.

Makes 6 Servings.
    181 Calories per serving 24 Carbs 2 Fat 17 Protein 5 Fiber
  • tracylynnc
    tracylynnc Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I have a lot of no sugar recipes (also low carb/keto). Send me your Evernote info (tracy.castoe@gmail.com) and I will share my Recipe Notebook with you.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try out the whole mason jar salad thing for work this week. I would love any advice or suggestions from anyone who has done this before!
  • melodynyce
    melodynyce Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Chicken Caesar salad wraps
    Grill a bunch of skinless breasts on Sunday night and cut in cubes
    In a big ziplock bag put chopped romaine lettuce, shredded Parmesan cheese and a bunch of cubed chicken. Tomatoes and cucumbers if desired. Then pour lite Caesar dressing in bag and shake it up to mix in with salad. Then put about 1 cup of salad in a low cal or low carb wrap and you have a healthy meal to go. Bring cottage cheese on the side for added protein and an apple or carrot sticks. It's yummy.
  • lynnsmith312
    lynnsmith312 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I've cut sugar significantly too. My meals are mostly meat, fish, or eggs plus fat plus veggies. Hit the protein and veggies hard...they will fill you up and your cravings for sugar will start to decrease.

Thank you Michele!!!
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try to do much of my cooking for the week on Sundays - although it doesn't always work out that way!

One of my go-to meals for weekly lunches is to make a batch of brown rice, setting it aside when done (you could use white rice or quinoa also). Then I cut up whatever veggies I have (onions, peppers, carrots, mushrooms), saute them in a little oil. I'm vegetarian, so sometimes I will add some fake meat to the pan (Quorn chik'n tenders are my favorite). I then add a bag of those Dole chopped salad kits (with kale, cabbage and other veggies) - I sometimes even add extra spinach. Finally I put the salad dressing from the kit in the pan and add other spices as needed. Mix the brown rice in and top with the yummy crunchy bits from the salad kit just before serving and you have a pretty healthy meal!
  • heather3781
    heather3781 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position - I have 3 athletes who need to pull in like 3000+ calories/day thanks to their workout routines, which I think is how I ended up as heavy as I am. I'm not a 15 y/o athlete.

So while we may all sit down and eat together, I'm eating something different (or at least a lot less). I get a lot of recipes off pinterest, and I'll actually spend a weekend doing a month's worth of meals to freeze. Some of these aren't the healthiest, so that's when I'll do something a bit different for myself.
  • ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    @melodynyce .. that sounds yummy and I may try it this wknd. Never really been a big fan of ceasar dressing b/c I find it so salty. Maybe the will be a better option.

I make Southwest Chicken Salad that even the boys (also all athletes in various sports) all love and it is full of protein. Have modified original dressing for myself but still make it fir them.

One bag of spinach (2 or 3 if all are eating...lol)
    1 can black beans drained
    1 can white corn drained
    Grilled chicken (have used rotisserie and have used tyson mesquite grilled chicken strips) cut into cubes
    1 pkg Low fat kraft shredded mexican cheese blend (or whatever cheese you like)
    Can of French fried onion rings (i don't put these in mine w/the modification but for them I do) 1/2 can in the salad save the rest for garnish on top
    Mix all altogether

Original dressing
    Sweet baby rays Bbq sauce
    Kens ranch dressing
    Mixed in a bowl ( you can adjust how much of them is used for my brood its the whole bottle of ranch and about 1/2 of the bbq)
    For me I just use Maple Groove raspberry or cranberry vinaigrette. But could use whatever you like.
    It's a big hit in our house and super easy and quick to make.