Favor request of anyone who has had the excess tummy skin removed

pawoodhull
pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
I am guardian of my mentally impaired sister. Before I got guardianship, she was talked into having gastric bypass. She isn't capable of understanding the surgery or what WLS patients have to do to make weight loss successful long term so although she initially lost about 90 pounds before she "re-stretched her stomach" (her surgeon's words to me last year), she has gained it all back and then some. Now it is being recommended that she have the tummy sag removed as she has constant rashes and infections. We are scheduling a consult and I would like to go prepared with questions. If you have had this done, would you be wiling to message me with what you think I should be asking and especially things you didn't ask but wish you had? I am not to the point in my WLS journey to have looked into this yet and want to be very careful in making this decision as her impairment means she is not able to understand this surgery any more than she understood the bypass. Thank you!

Replies

• heathergshea
    heathergshea Posts: 38 Member
    I don't have any advice. But I am so sorry to hear about what you and your sister has experienced.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Ask about drains. How many and for how long. I had 2 drains coming out of the groin for 8 weeks. This was a a big deal to care for because they were sewed into place and required care to keep clean, measuring drainage, etc. It seems daunting for someone who doesn't understand. Also, depending on how tightly is done, it can take months before she can stand up fully straight. You truly feel "altered" for a while. Last thing. Ask how long the incision will be.

Let me know if you have other questions.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    I know several women who have done tummy tucks after their twin/triplet/quadruplet pregnancies. It is a hard road for 2-4 weeks. Many of them came home with drains that have to be kept clean and be emptied, and the incision is typically from hip to hip. Most were unable to get up/down for several days without assistance, so you would need to plan on someone being there with her for the first week 24/7 as she is mentally handicapped, or possibly even looking into a rehab center for that first week. It isn't a choice I'd make lightly, even though all of them are so glad they did it.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Update. My sister weighs in at 300+. Her BMI is way above what every surgeon I've talked to says is acceptable. The fact that we are not removing empty or even near empty skin, but a very thick layer of fat along with the skin, makes the risk for this sugery so high no one will touch it. As I said originally, her impairment makes her sticking to any food program or any kind of WLS program impossible for her to do. Add to that she is still gaining, so the surgery would be a short term solution at best. Our decision is to continue to treat the rashes/sores as best we can. No surgery. Thank you to everyone who responded! I truly appreciate your feedback.
  • shannsam
    shannsam Posts: 1 Member
    Just a thought... try using a spray antiperspirant deodorant on the area that gets a rash. This is what I do and it works. It keeps the skin dry thereby decreasing the risk for rash and infection.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,760 Member
    shannsam wrote: »
    Just a thought... try using a spray antiperspirant deodorant on the area that gets a rash. This is what I do and it works. It keeps the skin dry thereby decreasing the risk for rash and infection.
    I do this too, but use a roll-on. It helps with odor too.

Best wishes, Pat.

• JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    shannsam wrote: »
    I do this too, but use a roll-on. It helps with odor too.

Best wishes, Pat.

I use a medicated powder.