Black Bean Pasta

Options
2»

Replies

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit suspicious too... but I think they look fantastic, a beautiful black would contrast well with some pasta sauces, like squid ink pasta.

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding watery zoodles? I make zoodles carbonara which should be a perfect keto food in many ways, but always ends up like a watery egg soup and not what I am hoping for!

I will google it, but you guys are so experienced.

I put mine on a baking sheet lined with paper towels sprinkled with salt, in the oven on 200 for about an hour, it helps to dry them out, I then put them between two sheets of paper towel and let the towels absorb more of the moisture. I just made them last night because I made red sauce, it didn't end up watery at all.

Hmmm, good idea. I'll try that.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Alright, I got this off of amazon. It's pretty darn good. Cooks up fast, on the soft side of aldenti, delicious with butter salt and pepper. 56 g, dry, produces a very respectable amount, enough to be called a small meal, definitely a large side.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @eatsyork I completely agree with you and feel silly not to think of that myself. I bought some of the red lentil pasta and it's yummy but yeah, I'm feeling dumb. LOL
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    eatsyork wrote: »
    I have a bunch of these in the pantry I can't bring myself to eat. I'm almost certain the nutritional info is not correct on the package. If black beans generally have three times as much total carbohydrate as fibre, and black beans are the only ingredient other than water, how does this pasta magically have a much more favorable ratio of fibre to total carbs than its constituent ingredients?

You're right about that. Remember Dreamfields? Could it be that some of the starch is lost in the manufacturing process? Could the carb count be any more than contained in a half cup serving of cooked black beans (about 12 g net carbs)?
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Ima have t
    Alright, I got this off of amazon. It's pretty darn good. Cooks up fast, on the soft side of aldenti, delicious with butter salt and pepper. 56 g, dry, produces a very respectable amount, enough to be called a small meal, definitely a large side.

ima have to order some online I guess
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    eatsyork wrote: »
    I have a bunch of these in the pantry I can't bring myself to eat. I'm almost certain the nutritional info is not correct on the package. If black beans generally have three times as much total carbohydrate as fibre, and black beans are the only ingredient other than water, how does this pasta magically have a much more favorable ratio of fibre to total carbs than its constituent ingredients?

You're right about that. Remember Dreamfields? Could it be that some of the starch is lost in the manufacturing process? Could the carb count be any more than contained in a half cup serving of cooked black beans (about 12 g net carbs)?

I think a good deal of the simpler starches are probably cooked/processed out. Black beans always tasted a bit sweet to me, even pre lchf, but this didn't taste like much of anything.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I eat this once in awhile and like it a lot. I also just bought the edamame version but haven't tried that yet. If I'm cooking spaghetti and meatballs for my family then this is a great alternative if I feel like having some also. (sometimes I just don't bother and just eat the meatballs by themselves, lol) The thing is, it holds liquid, kind of like when you use zucchini noodles. So after I cook this black bean pasta I drain it well, blot it dry with paper towels, drain some more, blot again, etc.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I eat this once in awhile and like it a lot. I also just bought the edamame version but haven't tried that yet. If I'm cooking spaghetti and meatballs for my family then this is a great alternative if I feel like having some also. (sometimes I just don't bother and just eat the meatballs by themselves, lol) The thing is, it holds liquid, kind of like when you use zucchini noodles. So after I cook this black bean pasta I drain it well, blot it dry with paper towels, drain some more, blot again, etc.

Good to know, thanks.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I ate dreamfields pasta

It seemed good

Almost too good to be true

http://dreamfieldsfoods.com/dreamfields-wall.php
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I love this and their other bean pastas as I have to eat Gluten Free anyhow and so I never get to have GF pasta that is decent in carb count anyhow. I think it has great flavour and texture, better than corn pasta, that's for sure. I even like it plain with nothing on it but rosemary infused olive oil and I never liked regular pasta that way. This is entirely worth the money and you don't have to have a big serving of it to be satisfied, either. I can buy it in all 4 of the main grocery stores here in my town including the smaller locally owned one. But then again our town of 17,000 is pretty natural health, world foodie focused with lots of athletes on specialized diets.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I love this and their other bean pastas as I have to eat Gluten Free anyhow and so I never get to have GF pasta that is decent in carb count anyhow. I think it has great flavour and texture, better than corn pasta, that's for sure. I even like it plain with nothing on it but rosemary infused olive oil and I never liked regular pasta that way. This is entirely worth the money and you don't have to have a big serving of it to be satisfied, either. I can buy it in all 4 of the main grocery stores here in my town including the smaller locally owned one. But then again our town of 17,000 is pretty natural health, world foodie focused with lots of athletes on specialized diets.

Jealous! Still haven't found it locally.
  • pineconejg
    pineconejg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found it rubbery but maybe I didn't cook it right.