advice needed - woozy

Options
phxteach
phxteach Posts: 309 Member
I am hoping someone can help me figure out what to do to get rid of symptoms.
I have been T2 for around 6 years and take Metformin 1000mg (not extended release) morning with breakfast and night with food. I've had a strange set of symptoms historically (almost seizure like shaking when I eat food). That part thankfully has seemed to pass. On several 5 hr. GTT tests over the years, it shows my glucose goes up too high (as in around 200 maybe?) then between 2 and 2.5 hrs after eating, my glucose suddenly and severely drops below fasting level. On advice from the doctor, I am trying to eat around 30 net carbs per day. Over the last 6 weeks, I have not always succeeded, since too often it is around 45-50 carbs. I am trying to eat more vegetables and LC dairy. I've lost 13 pounds and now have permission to cut the morning dose of Met in half. But the last several days, almost as soon as I stop eating I begin to get woozy - to the point that my eyes start rolling and I cannot focus on one point. Not good, right? Fasting level over 6 weeks has dropped from around 150 down to 93 this morning (yeah!). After I felt weird at lunch, I tested glucose @ 106, so not dangerously low. LC eating has taken care of wild swings in glucose level, but... why now is it making me woozy? Got a solution?

Replies

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have found when I don't drink enough water throughout the day I get lightheaded. I do much better during the week when I am working as I sip on my mug of water quite frequently and usually fill it at least once during the day. I will often have a cup of tea as well. I have a 32 oz mug that I can fill with ice and water or ice tea in the morning before I go to work and have water in my mini fridge at work so I can refill it as needed. Weekends are when I have more trouble. It seems I get busying doing things around the house and forget to drink. When I was pregnant with my first child, I would get lightheaded in the middle of the afternoon and found if I ate a spoonful of peanut butter it would go away. I don't know if any of this helps you but I would definitely bring it up with your doctor next time you see him.
  • phxteach
    Options
    I am consuming at least 12 cups of water/liquid a day. I have a Voss glass bottle that I refill. It holds 3.5 cups, so it is easy to keep track (well, sometimes I ignore that .5 and just figure it serves to keep drinking) but yeah, water is not something I used to suck down continually. Thanks, Sweets.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Any problems with low blood pressure?

One of my thoughts was how we can sometimes get those "false low" feelings when our blood sugar has been running high and then shoots into the normal range. Right after I was diagnosed I experienced symptoms very similar to having low blood sugar but upon testing would see that my readings were within the normal range.

If it keeps happening I would bring it up to your doctor because it doesn't seem right.

Best wishes.
  • phxteach
    Options
    Thanks, gaelicstorm. Love the dog. Will check the BP. appreciate the info.