Traveling As a Low Keto

Options
boohooboo
boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
apologies for the weird subject line.

i'm just finishing week 5 of a modified atkins like experience. (i stay around 20-22 net carbs each day.) i am able to do this because i don't eat out much, which for now gives me a certain level of control. (insert janet jackson singing "control" here ;-)

i am trying to plan ahead. in a few weeks, i am going to be staying in a place that does have a fridge but no cooking facility. i am also venturing out to the beach a few days, too. (yay!) i'm trying to figure out strategies for breakfast that i cannot cook -- i can probably get meat and vegs while i am out at lunch and dinnertime. note: for those of you who have been kind enough to listen to me whine on other threads: i am not really a happy meat eater. ***i don't eat pork.*** i'm not a fish fan. so yeah, a stellar low carb dieting candidate, i know. <VBG>

so...

1) breakfast ideas that DO NOT include pork and do not need to be cooked.

2) snacks that can survive sitting in a little bag at the beach. (picturing melted mozzarella sticks is not pretty.)

3) strategies for dealing with well-meaning family who still cannot believe i have not eaten fruit since june :-)

thanks, and any other advice is graciously accepted.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    For snacks that can sit in your beach bag, I immediately think of jerky, pepperoni sticks, almonds/nuts of choice, quest protein bars...
    A protein bar could be a breakfast instead... I can't think of much for breakfast because I don't really eat breakfast most days. 2 cups of coffee with my CO and HWC is my breakfast. On hungrier mornings I'll have half a quest bar. I mostly track net carbs too, but I still try to keep the total carbs under 40, so a whole quest bar would make the rest of my day challenging.
    How to deal with family.... I would just say "I'm doing what my doctor says I need to for the sake of my health, so there's really nothing to talk about"
    I don't know how anyone could argue with that.
    Best of luck and have fun!
  • ttgrandma
    ttgrandma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Breakfast can be an Atkins vanilla shake in coffee. I start every day with 2 cups and I save the left over shake for iced coffee in the afternoon. Almonds are good snakes as well as the before mentioned sausage and jerky. I slice a half of a cucumber with mine for a quick lunch. Good luck an d I like the doctors orders line for the relatives!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I travel (mostly driving) for work, and I pack my meals ahead of time and freeze them all. I use some little meal trays that work well and fit just right inside a couple of coolers. For trips of 3-4 days I have to take two coolers and be mindful of keeping them frozen, but 1-2 day trips are easier. Freezing the meals ahead of times helps keep them cooler longer. I've even done a camping trip this way.

When I don't bring breakfast, I buy a dinner with bigger portions, cut the leftovers at the restaurant, and take a to-go container back to the hotel. I can snack on the leftovers for breakfast.

I don't know if you eat eggs, but hard boiled eggs keep well during travel, and you can eat them whole as a morning protein source, chop into egg salad or slice onto greens (variety so you don't get bored).

I also find it's helpful to focus on the reason for travel, and try to put the food into its rightful "backseat" position. It's easy for the WOE to get overwhelming when there's a change in your routine. Focusing on the fact that you're there to visit family and friends may help you through eating "odd" foods for meals (jerky for breakfast, for instance).

Sometimes when I'm traveling I need to meet others for meals, and breakfast is particularly difficult because I'm not eating eggs currently, so most restaurant breakfasts are out of the question. I've simply learned to bring my pre-packed breakfast tray, answer the few questions that come up as quickly and simply as possible ("I'm on a strict elimination diet due to some possible allergies"), and engage the others in conversation as soon as possible to divert attention. Answer questions directly, but re-focus attention on the relationships with the people involved.