How do you get your protein in when you're not hungry??

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
I have had a very skimpy appetite these past few days, and am worried about not getting all my protein in. I do protein powder periodically, but I'm kinda losing my sweet tooth too, and last time I tried it I just couldn't stomach it. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Have you tried blending it with ice? Or making it with water instead of whatever milk option you may be using now?
    You could also add more milk than the standard recipe calls for so that it is diluted further. Or even just add some water to the milk for the same purpose.
    Or if you drink coffee, add 1/4 or 1/3 scoop to each cup of coffee to get you a head start on your protein for the day.
  • annalisbeth74
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ooh, I like the coffee idea!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Great question-- I've been struggling with this a bit lately, too. I'm interested to see what others say!

I make some "jerky" with Canadian bacon, which is pretty much just protein. I use it as a snack when I'm driving, and at the end of the day when I have to boost my protein intake.

I also changed my meals a bit-- I used to plan on three meals with 3-4 oz of protein each. Now I try for two meals with at least 5oz of protein. I still don't make the target all the time, though.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I use hydrolyzed collagen gelatin sometimes. It's unflavored and doesn't solidify, so it dissolves well into warm drinks. Collagen is not a complete protein, though.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I guess we should also determine if your goal is possibly set higher than it needs to be.
    I believe you're supposed to have anywhere from .6g to 1g protein per pound of lean body mass. It's typically recommended to stay above .8g however. So .8 would be for mostly inactive lifestyle to spare any muscle loss and 1g would be for those more active and working the muscles harder. But, as I understand it, there is no harm in going over on protein so may as well just figure 1g.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I know protein is vital

I have a shake that is 25 grams

There is always a piece of meat

It really isn't a hunger thing, I just need it.

So I plan around proteins, add fats, then fibrous veggies to fill out the
    Calories

But I often end up short on calories because of long bike rides, but not on protein.

• annalisbeth74
    Options
    I use the keto calculator so I know my macros aren't unusually high. I always plan around protein, and am rarely hungry enough after that to eat vegetables. I just have days where I might go into dinner having eaten only 500 or so calories and only 30 g protein, and I'm not hungry enough to try to cram in 40-50 g in one meal.

It's strange, I never thought I'd be asking for advice for how to eat more!
  • simbartes
    simbartes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar that my nutritionist recommended. It's a bit high in carbs and sugars though. Nature valley high protein bars.
    Sometimes I boil up an egg and eat that.
    Neither are particularly filling and I use them to get over 1000 calories a day.

My appetite (which was always a beast on higher carb, low fat diets) is rather tamed. I'm hardly ever hungry and if I am it's usually cause I ate too many carbs.
    It's GREAT!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I add two raw eggs to my fresh hot morning beverage of choice. It makes it creamy and custard like without changing the flavor, but you have to use your beverage at double or more strength... But it gets my day started with protein on the days I can't/don't want to eat real food... Protein powder isn't really an affordable luxury here right now, but I am dying to get my hands on some collagen powder!! Adding that to my morning hot beverage would be amazing.

Edited to add note: when you first start doing a beverage like this in lieu of food, add a small snack with it the first week or so until your body adjusts to getting full from your healthy beverage.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    We use isopure unflavored protein powder around the house. I think it's rather bland, so it might not be too sweet for you. And yes, it gets mixed with coffee!

When I am not hungry I just make sure I focus on protein rather than fat (fat is to satisfy hunger so if you're not hungry...). Chicken, eggs, etc. I'm happy that my chuck steaks seem to have a lot of protein in them. Don't waste time on veggies if you're barely eating enough to get your protein in.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Protein shake for breakfast, grilled chicken on a salad for lunch, some kind of meat for dinner gets me up around 100 grams for the day.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Tinned or pouch tuna, if not needing the fats of adding mayo or avocado or something, can be downed in a few bites and has a decent punch of protein.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to my coffee each morning. It really helps me get closer to my goal. I just started using Isopure dutch chocolate and cookies and cream. They are very light in flavor and sweetness and are easy to drink.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I plan protein first, then fill in with other items. I also eat my protein first at every meal. If I can eat the veggies or other, great. If I can't, alright.

Try an unflavored protein powder. I like the one by Unjury. Also, try some flavored powders from different companies. I've discovered when I can't stomach Bariatric Advantage, I can switch to Bariatric Fusion for a while until my taste returns for BA.