Workout Check-in: Heavy Metal Edition (aka August)

Replies

• bakerkate221
    bakerkate221 Posts: 52 Member
    Did SL workout B today:

Squats 5x5 @ 55#
    Overhead Press 5x5 @ 30#
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 95# and 1x5 @ 105#

I've been doing two deadlift sets so I can practice form. Also, I tried using the ez bar instead of dumbbells for the press, and I like it much better.

My 12yo daughter was giving me sarcastic encouragement during my last set of squats and I almost fell over from laughing. Sheesh.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    today was trainer day.

i did bench and deadlift, no squats. and sheesh; you would think (i sure did) that intro sessions at both keeping it to very low-key kinds of weights would be nothing to me. well, let me tell you how wrong you would be. i've hardly even got home and i hurt like i lifted a truck.

bench weight fwiw: 60 (i think? maybe 65, i'm not sure. he has different bars and i was working in with someone else who was on different weights). and deadlift 85, which is pretty respectable considering i wasn't getting away with any kind of form cheat. and doing a lot more than just 5 of them too, i believe.

anyway. extra half-hour ride to get there (on extremely extremely soft bike tires) and another extra half-hour to get home (uphill the whole way) means i'm not feeling like i took it easy today.

still like the group. still like the trainer. it's by no means perfect in terms of the kinds of discourse and attitudes towards women-in-general, but about lifting itself they don't seem to have any hangups. people are friendly, instructive, and they're all working on stuff too and lifting at different weights. which makes me feel like i'm learning just by being around to watch and overhear while they're doing their stuff. just paid myself up to keep going every friday for the rest of this month.
  • canadianlbs
    edited August 2015
    krokador wrote: »
    also better leverage to recruit the pecs into the lift which makes a huge difference down the line.)

omg this. how could i have forgotten all about this? ^^^^ THIS ^^^^.
    And it friggin works at fixing like, everything.

except breakfast in bed :p but, yeah. i actually kind of know what you mean.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Went to the gym before work this time as I only have a 4.5 hour work shift today. Reason for that is the scheduler was nice to not have me close tonight because tomorrow morning I work the 6 am shift to hang up sales tags. No jog tomorrow and my schedule will be different this week with the random morning shift and having my next 5k on Saturday. I also probably should have eaten more than an almond milk coffee drink before going but oh well.

Workout B

back extension 3x8 @ 25 - waiting for the squat racks.

low bar squat 3x5 @ 135 - kept same and it was okay.

overhead press 1x3 @ 75 and 3x5 @ 70 - third fail at 75, barely making the reps at 70, de-load time.

deadlift 1x5 warm up @ 135 and 1x5 @ 180 - oof, felt so much heavier than 175.

incline dumbbell bench press 3x8 @ 27.5 - kind of like these, more than incline barbell bench

clean then front squat 3x8 @ 40 - did an easy weight and tried to combine instead of one set then the other.

Now I'm eating lunch then time to get ready for work cause shower is important, lol.
  • canadianlbs
    i felt yesterday's non-sl 'barbell club' session more than i had expected i would. was also confused, becasue what i did yesterday was part of both of the sl workouts (deadlift and bench). still and all, last night had no squatting in it so i dragged myself and my rekindled ambitions/work ethic into the gym.

squats: 60 pounds. it's not a lot of weight, but i feel like this makes it official: i'm definitely involved in a total reboot for the stronglifts programme. with my new and improved form, even just 60 was a bit touch and go for the full five sets of five. mind you, i started at 45 and went up in 5-lb increments, making sure that i did at least two sets at each jump. so i did do a fair bit of volume at least. and i think my form has improved. i'm not getting the biofeedback that means buttwink out of my spine anymore. biggest difference (in my mind is a much much tighter upper back, and a much much more chest-up position to start. my upper back is actually stupidly weak. so it could be that this is the weakest link in the chain atm, but i'm more fine than i know how to say with just staying where the weakest link can be trained.

ohp: think i ended at 40 with this. same thing: started with just the 30lb bar, added 5lb per time and did at least three sets each jump. i'm not sure if i did all 5 sets at the weight i stopped at, but if not it was four. had to do it all without the rack, since a) rack was taken and b) fixed width so the shortie bar isn't very (at all) safe on those pins. i'm fine with 40 this time, partly because there was just not no way nope not nohow i was ever going to get higher than that. and partly because i was doing the reps really slowwwwly, so as to (again) actually notice my form.

annnnnndd some deadlifting. i should have done rows, and i kinda-sorta did do some rows, but with weight too low to say much about. what i did instead was roumanian deadlifts in between ohp sets, without changing the bar. tried to keep enough focus on pulling the bar in and keeping it right up against my legs the whole way, that hopefully my back/lats gets a pass on the rows.

oh yeah. and mr trainer guy has me doing band pull-aparts any time i'm not doing an actual set. i'm all about it, actually. so i started out with 3x10 of those mixed in with 10's of broomstick dislocations, and i have to say. if you do broomstick dislocations s-l-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y to really track your control, they're not a waltz for all of the muscles that do it either.

i need a nap so badly.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Today was:

Squat 5x50,65,75,90; 3x100; 8x75 Today was one of those days that I am so glad that I lift at home. I fell back on my first rep on my warm-ups. Thankfully my husband was behind me laughing and was able to grab the bar for me so I could get back up. I guess that proves my point that I cannot push my hips back any farther without falling over. So embarrassing! The rest went fine. My hips are still wanting to rise first but I can see myself correcting it in my videos before it turns into a squat morning so it's progress.
    Bench 5x45,55,70,80; 3x90; 8x70
    Row 4x5x65; 3x80; 8x65
    Front squat 2x5x65
    Assisted pullup with negatives 3x5
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Workout A today. ON A WEEKEND, GUYS! I'm normally a slacker on weekends, so this is kind of huge for me. Also, my fractionals (1.25 lb plates) came from Rogue Fitness on Friday so I was excited to use them.

Squats 5x5x52.5 lbs
    Bench 47.5 lbs
    Rows 45 lbs

I backed down the weight I was doing on my rows and I felt SO much better about my form than I did last tI'm (at 65 lbs). I just did the bar and used a couple boxes to rest it on so it was at a similar height as it would be if I had big plates on it. Felt pretty good.
  • canadianlbs
    Workout A today. ON A WEEKEND, GUYS! I'm normally a slacker on weekends, so this is kind of huge for me.

lol. i just came inside (day spent watching this year's crossfit games has this effect on me. suddenly i'm fired with the need to go out on the deck with a broomstick and pretend i'm elisabeth akinwale). and i was walking back to the computer thinking how it's become a given that i spend one day out of every weekend barely moving, like some kind of swamp creature. so i completely relate. congrats on your weekend workout.
    I backed down the weight I was doing on my rows and I felt SO much better about my form than I did last tI'm (at 65 lbs).

i feel like having the right weight makes such a difference to rows. and the margin is pretty narrow for me. like five pounds can make the difference between rows that rock and rows there wasn't even really a point to doing because i could not get the form dialled in.

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    @jessiefrancine - Thanks, I love Rippetoe videos. I tend to watch them when I'm at work and procrastinate. :)
    @canadianlbs - Thank you for your input! I am definitely working on engaging all muscles and energy to get that bar up. What you said makes a lot of sense.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Monday, so deadlifts. It was 3 day. I was a little worried going into this workout as this weekend was pretty hard on my body. Lots of biking and my husband decided to get his bike stuck up past the piston in muskeg. Took us 45 minutes of pushing and pulling and sinking and losing boots to the mud before we got it free. I was not impressed… Anyway deadlifts.
    150 lbs x 3 170 lbs x 3 195 lbs x5 the last one was a little grindy but I locked it out so it counts.
    3x8 sumo deadlift 150 lbs. I find mixed grip on sumos to be very awkward but my double overhand grip starts to fail mid-way through the 3 set. Had to rest a couple of times.
    EMOTM x 5 Front squat x5 65 lbs.
    Then I ran 6k at “lunch” I left at 9 because it looks like we are in for highs in the low to mid 30’s all week.
  • canadianlbs
    squats 65. warmup sets of 2x5 each at 45, 50, 55, 60 so i'd hold onto my form.

ohp: 50. kind of . . . i mixed it up a lot between ohp and rows, so after a while i kind of lost track. i was concentrating a lot more on just making more sure of my form so didn't do many sets of the full 5. quite of few of them were only triples, but i think there were more sets than just five, overall.

rows: just like squats. work weight of 65, with minimum two warmup sets at each 5lb increment until i hit that weight. started at 50 with these.

still not a kosher sl workout but i'm not complaining. think it was probably supposed to be workout b, but i skipped rows on saturday and badly wanted to get some in. i'm finding that rows work very well for me as a setup/prehab for ohp, so i did that more or less in superset form. deadlifts on top of all that was just like 'pfftt . . . yeah, right.'
  • bakerkate221
    bakerkate221 Posts: 52 Member
    Workout A today, and I added some warmup sets for the first time.

Squats:
    2x5 bodyweight
    1x5 @ 45#
    1x5 @ 55#
    5x5 @ 60#

Bench Press:
    1x5 @ 45#
    1x5 @ 55#
    5x5 @ 60#

Rows:
    1x5 @ 55#
    5x5 @ 60#

There were several guys in the weight room today, but I just went about my workout instead of being intimidated, so yay me for that! =)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Lifted last night. Still working up from my deload after being sick

Squat 5x5x130lbs
    OHP 5x5x60lbs
    Deadlift 1x5x190lbs

Leg superset 3x8
    Bulgarian split squat
    Front squat
    Hip thruster
    Romanian deadlift

Done and done and done lol
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    I forgot to log Friday's workout, so I'll post it and today's here.

Friday, Workout B

Squats, 5x5@100 lbs
    OHP, 3x5, 2x4@55 lbs
    Deadlift, 2x5@110 lbs
    Good mornings, 3x10@55 lbs

Today, Workout A

Squats, 5x5@105 lbs
    Bench, 5x5@65 lbs
    Rows, 5x5@70 lbs
    RDLs, 3x10@70 lbs
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    OHP 3 day
    50 lbs x 3, 55 lbs x 3, 65 lbs x 4
    5x8 45lbs OHP superset with assisted pullups 5x8
    EMOTM x 5 Dumbbell rows 25 lbs x8 each side
    EMOTM x 5 hanging cleans 45 lbs x5
    Opening doors is hard for me today. Definitely succeeded in working my lats and traps.
    I am thinking about going for a run but I am also thinking about not going for a run… It probably won’t happen, maybe a walk instead. My gluts and hamstrings are feeling yesterday pretty hard so I will need to get up and loosen them up a bit somehow.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Been slacking lately, sleeping in instead of jogging or other things, but I did manage to go the gym tonight after work. Some parts were better than others and we'll see how waking up to jog goes. At least I don't have work tomorrow.

Workout A

high bar squat 3x5 @ 160 - these were tough. I got up each time but it was a challenge.

bench 3x5 @ 80 - de-load so went okay.

bent-over row 1x3 @ 90 and 3x5 @ 85 - things were not so good, me and rows aren't getting along.

Accessories:
    leg press 3x8 @ 200 - heavy but okay, same as last time worked legs/glutes

good morning 3x10 @ 60 - fine as usual

rdl 3x10 @ 90 - still heavy
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 80 - still heavy

Schedule is going to be a bit off with the 5k on Saturday but will get worked out next week. Looking forward to the bubble color run.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited August 2015
    Went back to the gym to hit this fun torture session: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dtp-week-1-day-1.html (minus the abs, and I forgot the first set of calf raises. I still felt the burn, trust me)

Leg press + calf raises (weight x LP reps / CR reps)
    45 x 50/0, 45s rest
    70 x 40/30, 60s rest
    90 x 30/20, 75s rest
    135 x 20/10, 90s rest
    180 x 10/10, 105s rest
    205 x 10/10, 120s rest
    180 x 20/10, 105s rest
    160 x 30/20, 90s rest
    115 x 40/30, 75s rest
    90 x 50/40

In restrospect I could've handled a little more weight (moreso out of the gate, at least), but I'm pretty sure I'll feel this one tomorrow. It was actually harder on my calves than on my legs. Had to pause a few sets lol.

Then I spent 30 minutes or so mobilizing my shoulder/chest/upper back and doing my rehab exercises and I can say I have HUGE knots in my triceps on BOTH side so ow ow ow. yup.

I'm getting close to being able to handle free weights for upper body! FINALLY! Can,t say trynig out all those workout protocols wasn't fun, but I like my workout programs structured and not all over the place, tyvm.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    edited August 2015
    OK, so I'm starting back at this after over a one year hiatus due to an injury and surgery (and perhaps a bit of petulant sulking). I did B Monday, A Wednesday. And here's what I've got to say about it: 1) I forgot how totally awesome SORE AS HELL feels. 2) I think maybe I started too heavy?
    It's been a loooong time since I've been doing SL consistently, and so as not to delay things and figuring out where I SHOULD start (dumb, I know), I thought, let me just jump right in wherever I feel comfortable. It felt really good to be back at it, but it was hard and I'm sore. So that means moving up is going to suck...soon...right? Should I have started back at 20kg? Here's what I did:

B (Monday)
    Squat 30kg
    Overhead press 25kg
    Deadlift 45kg

A (Wednesday)
    Squat 30kg (forgot to bump it up)
    Chest Press 27.5kg
    Row 30kg

BTW...I'm working off a cobbled together set of weights in my garage. It's marked partially in kg and partially in lbs, so I have to do math while sweating. I should get extra credit for this, no?

Edited to add: Or maybe it wasn't too heavy and sore is just what I'm supposed to be feeling right now. :) Any input would be appreciated.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    One Tuesday...
    Squats 135 - felt tired, but got through all of the sets fine. I think I'll stay at this weight for my Thurs workout, as my form wasn't 100%.

After a successful 85 lbs last week, went up to 90 lbs and only completed the reps on the second set. I knew it would happen, though. Progressive OVERload builds strength, and boy was I overloaded.

Rows 100 - No problem. I must have a stronger back than I realize because I always dread this exercise. Still not at my previous top weight after a few de-loads, but getting close.

• canadianlbs
    miovlb6 wrote: »
    (and perhaps a bit of petulant sulking).

relate. yay for being back. it sure feels good when you actually couldn't lift for a while.
    I have to do math while sweating. I should get extra credit for this, no?

pretty sure math burns calories. it's all the cursing and muttering.

i'm doing fairly half-assed workouts recently, combination of everything revolving around the Almighty Squat, and the fact that having a fixed date every friday has thrown me into having to have a fixed schedule for all of the other days. which apparently my brain doesn't like. and of course, the fact that mr trainer dude doesn't just provide a space and the teaching around my usual stronglifts story. so i do whatever he puts on the sheet for fridays, and then the rest of the week is kind of disoriented.

anyway. squats today were 65 pounds for work weight. i did two warmup sets at every 5-pound jump for the bar and did them all slllloowwwwwly so as to try and actually find my hamstrings and get them working. this is coming along, and a couple of reps really felt really good in that sense. wish i could lie, but the truth is that 65 pounds felt heavy. hope that friday has squats in store for me so i can get a progress-check session and any new adjustments that i might be starting to need.

also did deadlifts, but i had to use a crappy bar with no meaningful knurls for placing my hands and s tack them on top of other plates too. so they never really came off the ground as a lift. i probably did do the prescribed number of them but didn't like my form at any point on the way. cut it short and am currently telling myself i'll scoot in quickly to the other gym with the trainer plates just to deadlift.

no benching, no overhead press. i was wearing the favourite-workout-pants that have been frayed at the gusset seam for some time, and today was the day when they went all the way. i finished the squats and did my deadlifts with my back facing a wall, but i wasn't going to lie down on that bench and show a bunch of juvenile gang\fightclub morphodies the view of my underpants they would have got. and i'll be ditching these pants, sigh.