Workout Check-in: Heavy Metal Edition (aka August)

Options

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Lifted last night and here's the numbers:

Squat 5x5x135lbs
    Bench 5x5x90lbs
    Row 5x5x100lbs - caught my reflection while doing rows....oh yes, these are very good for me and my shoulders from that angle looked amazing!!

Accessories superset 3x8
    Bulgarian split squat x 18lbs dumbbells
    Front squat x 55lbs
    Hip thrust x 100lbs
    Romanian deadlift x 100lbs

Now to eat all the fooooooooodz today
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Easing my way back into a regular workout schedule after a significant deload but everything is feeling solid form-wise again and even able to work in some accessory work for some weak areas.

Squat 5x5 80
    OHP 5x5 50
    DL 5x5 135 (my grip is so weak)

Accessories:
    Split squats
    Weighted Bridges
    Then went for a quick horseback ride at DD lesson.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Psych101 I get what you mean about catching a glimpse in the mirror...saw my reflection today during the lockout on my DL and thought "who's that buff looking chick in the mirror?!" :sweat_smile:
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've been starting to switch stuff up with my workouts.

Front squat warm up: 1x5x45
    Front squat warm up: 1x5x95
    Front squat working set: 3x5x125

OHP: 4x5x65

Front Squat Thrusters: 1x5x75

Deadlift: 1x5x145

Gah, I really need to get some 45s, so I can start increasing my deadlift weights! I don't really track macros much, but I'm pretty close on fat and protein! Always over on carbs, though (surprise, surprise).
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm happy the heatwave is done and I can lift without dying. Today was weird - I OHP more than my squat weight. Sigh, knee injury. My knee feels pretty good, hope it lasts!

Front Squats 5x5 65lbs (warmup 1x5 45/45) - uneventful. I should of went higher but I wanted to deadlift today and not kill my knee JIC.

OHP 5x5 72.5lbs (warmup 1x5 45/45/55) - another post lifting of my traps looking scary.

Sumo Deadlift 1x5 135lbs (warmup 1x5 95) - These were slightly ugly as I couldn't get the width of my stance just right.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Still a little DOMS-y from Saturday but I was pretty antsy to get moving since I had no energy nor time to do much yesterday (I got a 30 mins walk in with some stretches. DATS EET)

New jump rope = bliss. I kept it longer than I should have though so I'll have to readjust, but it was so smooth even so! (It's a Rogue SR-1 Rich Froning edition (there was like a 3$ difference between that and the regular SR-1, so I figured I'd splurge a bit. lol)

I ended up doing a 5x5 on the unilateral leg press @ 165lbs pre leg. I was originally planning on going to 180, but while warming up I used 25s and moved them to the outside of the rack thinking they were stored, so in actuality I tried 205 (only realized at the end of it all xD) and couldn't move the weight. So I dropped back down. Yup. 165 was in no way easy, but I easily had a rep left in the tank with each set. Ah well.

In between sets throughout was my shoulder (bo)rehab stuff. It was pinching a lot this morning. Seeing the physio again tomorrow, so will mention that.

I also did a set of OHP, rows and bench press (45x5) in there for funsies/assess where I'm at.

Did romanian deadlifts because I miss deads and they didn't go too bad. More challenging on the grip than anything, lol. 45x12, 65x12, 85x12, 95x2x12

and then a set of 95x5 real deadlifts. I can somewhat handle them. Wee!

FInished up with some face pulls/triceps pushdowns/cable curl

Didn't really work very hard today, so I'm thinking I'm gonna go back tomorrow for a "sweatier" session. I miss doing intervals/AMRAPs xP
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OHP 1 day, pretty yawn
    55 lbs x 5, 60 lbs x 3 65 lbs x5 May have deloaded too much on these
    5x8 ohp 45 lbs superset with assisted pullups
    EMOTM x5 dumbbell rowsx8 per side 20 lbs
    EMOTM x5 hanging cleans x5 45 lbs
    I think next wendler cycle I am going to increase weight on all my accessories. I still find the last rep hard but I think I could sneak on an extra couple of lbs...
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Back to my regular schedule. 2 mile run this morning and after work tonight I will lift weights.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Squat 140 5x5 I'm going to stay here for another workout. Those last reps were a little tough.
    BP 90 4/5/5/3/4 I'm think this will end up a de-load after next week.
    Row 105 5x5 Felt good!

I work out with DH on Tuesdays. He went up in weight on squat and was dealing with some form break down. We were talking about what we, both, needed to pay attention to. Well, at the end of his second to last set, a "trainer" at the Y comes over and GRABS the barbell and lifts it up as he's trying to rack it! Totally unbalancing him and he was having trouble getting it onto the pin on the other side because of it. Her intent was good, as his form did need to be corrected. However she shouldn't have touched the damn bar! She told us that the bar position was too low (it should be on top of the shoulders), the weight was too heavy because his back wasn't upright, and that we should be able to do 8 reps. ?!?!?!?! I told her that we were following a strength program and were following Rippetoe's videos for form on the low bar squat, while acknowledging that DH's form did need work at this weight. She didn't know who Rippetoe was and I don't think she knows anything about the low bar position. She didn't know a thing about our individual goals and didn't ask. I found it incredibly annoying.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Did everything out of order because someone jumped in the cage right before me.

Close grip BP - 3x8 at 60 lbs. That last rep was HARD but I got it.
    Barbell curls - 8,8,7 at 45 lbs. So close!
    Squats - 3x5 at 120. Form was OK, but these feel tough still. Going to do one more session at this weight.
    OHP - 5,5,4 at 57.5 lbs. Not pretty. Needs lots of improvement.
    Rows - 3x5 at 70 lbs. Light day. These felt great. Good squeeze at the top.
    DL - 1x5 at 170. Pretty good! Finally got chalk and I love it. Rounded my lower back on the 4th trip though. Luckily didn't hurt myself and recognized and corrected it for the 5th one. It was just pure sloppiness.
    Cable crunches - 3x12 at 50 lbs. I was exhausted, but they were OK.

No pull ups today. The BP and curls exhausted my arms. Didn't even attempt. Maybe I'll do some tomorrow.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nice to be back lifting after an unexpected week off. Had already planned a de-load on overhead pressed and the rest stayed the same except deadlift, which I increased by 5. Really trying to work up to that 225 even though every time it feels rather heavy. I ended up skipping rdl and hip thrust at the end, as now I'm trying to bake cake before bed. One of my coworkers put in her notice so tomorrow is her last day and I promised cake.

Workout B

low bar squat 3x5 @ 135 - okay but the power cage is a tiny bit tall for me on low bar so I struggled to put the bar back after a couple of the sets.

overhead press 3x5 @ 60 - easy enough though last reps I could feel it. No problem with shoulder at least.

leg press 3x10 @ 200 - had to wait for area to deadlift.

deadlift 1x5 @ 135 warm up and 1x5 @ 185 - heavy but still managing though had doubts on getting all 5 reps.

good morning 3x12 @ 60 - used the fixed weight barbell so had to clean it each time

Now to get the cake baked and get some sleep.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if I checked in last Friday, so I'll report on Friday and today's workouts.

Friday, Workout B

Squats, 5x5@105 lbs
    OHP, 5x5@45 lbs (ugh, deload AGAIN)
    Deadlifts, 2x5@115 lbs

Good mornings, 3x10@55 lbs

Today, Workout A

Squats, 5x5@110 lbs
    Bench, 4x5, 1x4@70 lbs (just barely avoided the roll of shame this morning :-\ )
    Rows, 5x5@75 lbs

RDLs, 3x10@75 lbs
  • Karozel7
    Karozel7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Back from vacation. Only got in 1 workout during the trip, and it was mostly messing about. Some goblet squats, OHP, and rows.

I did average about 20K steps every day for that week, which is a lot of walking for me. :)

I also managed a spa afternoon, with an absolutely amazing deep tissue massage. Hurt sooo good -- I think I may be a masochist.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi all. It's been a while. I've been out on vacation for the past week plus lots of house renovation prior to that so my SL schedule has been off. I need to get back on track and stay within my macros. I have also increased my daily protein intake since I think that will be key muscle build. This is my report for the week. Thank for looking:

Monday:
    Squats: 5x5@110 lbs. Easy.
    Bench press: 5x5@ 70 lbs. Too easy
    Bentover rows: 5x5@70 lbs. Too easy
    40 minute bike from home to work then back home.

Wednesday:
    Squats: 5x5@ 115 lbs. Pretty easy and have been going deeper these days.
    Overhead press: 5x5@45 lbs. So easy these days with good form. I guess I should bump up to 50 lbs. next time.
    Deadlifts: 5x5 @ 135 lbs. Easy.
    30 minute run.
    40 minute bike from home to work then back home.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    hi all

Lifted last night - was not feeling it at all. Meh.

Squat 5x5x135lbs
    OHP 5x5x70lbs
    Deadlift 1x5x200lbs

Couldn't be bothered with accessories, will hit arms up either Friday or Saturday
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Finally back to doing low bar squats. After being off, deloading, then getting injured again I really didn't know what to lift. Decided to do experiment with volume again and see how it goes.

Low bar back squats 1x5 45/45/95/105/115/125/135/145/155/155 - 155lbs went good but I got tired so I didn't do any more.

Bench 5x5 95lbs (warm up 45/45/65) Looking back I just realized last time I bench I did 95lbs. I didn't log it in the app the last time, so I had forgot. bleh.

Dumbbell rows 35lbs 20 each arm. Man, heavy dumbbells are expensive. I don't think I'm going to buy any for awhile, but I prefer these over pendlay rows.
  • krokador
    Options
    Dumbbell rows 35lbs 20 each arm. Man, heavy dumbbells are expensive. I don't think I'm going to buy any for awhile, but I prefer these over pendlay rows.

The cool thing with "dumbbell" rows though is that you don't have to stick to DBs to do the same movement. If you're alright doing them one at a time, throw the DB with a few heavy books in a heavy duty back pack (at least not a cheap 10$ from walmart with the seems that'll break after 2 weeks of normal use) or a bucket with a solid handle and row that instead ;)

• krokador
    Options
    Guess who just did the SL A workout this morning! I'm one of yours again! :)

Squats 125x5x5 - I *can* handle more, but I was really focusing on form this morning (will have a few vids for outside feedback later today, since I might as well get the basics back good while I'm working my way back up). The last reps of every set were not "easy" so I think I selected my work weight okay.

The rest was easy, I just went back to square one: the empty bar

Bench Press 45x5x5 (and 55x5 because I was like "this was way too easy, I need to, Iunno, feel something working") - shoulder didn't bother me. However I was using the decline bench with the loopy hooks, so my setup was less than optimal. Also, left elbow gave me minimal grief so I'll knock on wood!

Pendlay Rows (from a "dead" hang) 45x5x5 - I never liked bent over rows, so I just do these pretending there's a floor to touch. They were a little more painful than bench when I wasn't paying attention. I tried to work on not letting my shoulders hand at the bottom position so I can say my upper back has gotten a good amount of work this morning.

I spruced up rest periods with shoulder rehab stuff, and 3 sets of back extensions, and some bottoms up KB press (awesome for shoulder stability, and a set of 10 with 15lbs was challenging)

I need to get my butt out of bed faster when I go to the gym in the AM, though xD
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Squat 1 day, nothing really stellar even for 1 day (damn deload)
    135 lbs x 5, 140 lbs x 3 150 lbs x 3. Pretty happy hitting 3 reps at 150 lbs
    5x8 95 lbs
    EMOTM x 5 DB snatches 8 per side @ 20 lbs
    Run is a maybe for lunch time. My cramps are pretty bad and running just seems like so much work. Lately I have just been managing 1 run a week but still getting out and go for a walk at lunch. I just don't seem to have the drive for running that I used to.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bleh, I'm due to lift however I lift in my garage. We are having a heat wave over and it's been 99F / 37C here and even worse in the garage. Yuck!

I sure know that feeling. I lift in my hot and humid garage in Miami. It almost makes me want to go to the gym instead...almost. My gym is crazy-packed at the times when I can get there and I hate crowded, so I tolerate the heat. It'll be nice when "winter" rolls around and it's 88* in there instead of 98*! ;)

So far this week:
    SL B
    Squat 32.5kg 5x5
    Overhead press 27.5kg 5x5
    Deadlift 50kg 1x5

SL A
    Squat 35kg 5x5
    Bench Press 30kg 5x5
    Row 32.5kg 5x5

I'm also finally getting back into a semi-regular schedule with yoga and cycling. Feels really good to be back at it after sitting around for so long. Funny, my ankle/calf don't mind the lifting at all but the yoga is tough. Screws and scar tissue just don't like going barefoot!