Options
slimzandra
slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
Monday AM

Replies

• slimzandra
    Options
    Just finished Monday Morning! Hoot. I think I'm going to try again tonight. I had to skip through a lot of the moves. Downward dog is fine, but when she started lifting to do circles, I was out. I also used a chair on the one legged pose. My balance is off. Hmm. When did that happen? I'll write more when I get in to work.. Off to the shower..
  • slimzandra
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you, AuntStephie for your helpful encouragement.

I did find Day 3 less difficult on the strength moves, I am still trying to get my heels to the ground in downward dog now. I remembered that you said about mind over matter. I'm going to keep that with me.

I found this move very difficult, I think the reason is because I don't have my heal down. That is pretty impressive. My hamstrings are still too tight. For now, I did just the downward dog.
    bfirtoajdyss.jpg

The other position was this one and the variations of it. I found I had to use the back of the chair to keep me steady.
    I know it's cheating. I'm going to do it again tonight and maybe just keep my leg lower until I get my balance. j6mbgxg2zb9g.jpg

I did not get my TV set up, so I'm still watching it on my laptop screen. I need an HDMI cable. I know I have one somewhere, but I digress....

The lesson for today for those not getting emails is "forget what you know about Yoga" and have a beginner's mind. Check and check. That one was easy for me.

I agree with her comments that her revitalizing and strengthening sequence is great for balance, core & hip check in, and supports good posture! Today, instead of sitting slouched over my keyboard, I'm going to practice sitting upright, holding in my stomach, opening up my heart...

Wow. I feel better already. .

Have a great day!

• m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am already more aware of my posture and breathing. I've been working since last week to remember to keep my shoulders dropped and not clench my jaw all of the time.
  • m_puppy
    Options
    Also, I thought the one move in day 2 got oddly sexual. :D
  • slimzandra
    Options
    hmm... Of course, I had to go back and look.. Well, around 3:30 - 4:05 when she does it, it looks sexy. When I rotated out of child's pose, My dog started growling at me.. HAHA.

I'm also trying to learn the different poses and names.
    I found this link pretty helpful. http://www.gaiamtv.com/my-yoga/poses
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Haha, those two moves were tricky for me too, but I decided to do it after having 4 beers at a birthday party so I attributed my lack of balance to that.

I just noticed my heels touching no problem at the end of day 4 so you might be closer than you think. I don't consider holding a chair cheating, better to do that and get the stretch right, than to not do it all ya know.

I really noticed the focusing on my breathing and being able to breath deep into a muscle too, it helps a lot with my planks
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    Also, I thought the one move in day 2 got oddly sexual. :D

no wonder my bf likes to sit at the desk pretending he's working when I'm working out :)
  • m_puppy
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    hmm... Of course, I had to go back and look.. Well, around 3:30 - 4:05 when she does it, it looks sexy. When I rotated out of child's pose, My dog started growling at me.. HAHA.

This made me laugh out loud at work. I love that the dog started growling. My boyfriend participated in day 2. That may be why I noticed. I just felt like it turned momentarily into a lap dance video hahaha. Of course I made it worse by exaggerating her movements for laughter. If I had been in a class I would have been looking around all "does anyone else feel weird doing this?"

Thank you because I definitely need to learn the names so I don't have to watch constantly. I have a really good sense of where my body is and mimicking other people but I don't do well with verbal cues.
  • auntstephie321
    Options

oh wow, some of those poses are completely insane!
  • m_puppy
    Options

You're not ready for sleeping tortoise pose?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »

You're not ready for sleeping tortoise pose?

lolololol I'm pretty sure that would break my neck, and I'm not even sure how this one is possible

vz1i7iarmsgs.jpg

• m_puppy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I know! Some of those poses don't seem possible. I don't doubt their legitimacy. I just can't wrap my head around them.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yep they're impressive. I hope to work up to that someday.
  • m_puppy
    Options
    I couldn't bring myself to do it last night because I was so exhausted from a huge weekend. On Tuesdays I have a yoga class that I attend. I wonder if I should do day 3 or 4 tomorrow.
  • slimzandra
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @m_puppy. As far as Day 3 or 4. I just did Day 4 this morning and it is much easier. Day 4 Is -Yoga for your Back.
    I sit at a desk all day, so I loved this one much more than Day 3. You probably got more out of your Yoga class on Day 3, anyway. Just my 2 cents.

I still work up a sweat on these planks and when she goes lower. Adriene calls them Heart to Earth. I looked up the term Chaturanga. My new word of the day..

ddxzarjfbalh.jpg

I also found this think which is helpful.
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-6631/How-to-Do-Chaturanga-the-Right-Way.html
    Nearly impossible, but with lots of practice...
    Sleeping Tortoise? Um.. Ya.. I'm thinking America's Got Talent..
  • m_puppy
    Options
    We worked really hard on chaturanga today in class. There were a few tips that she gave as well. She said when you go down you should be feeling it only in your tricep, that's how you know you're doing it right. She showed us a couple of ways that people do it. The wrong way was the way I was doing it; basically allowing the joints to lead. She said you should feel like you're trying to touch your rib cage to your hips with your tailbone "tucked in." The biggest thing seemed to be to check your hand positioning. If it feels too hard, move your hands further under your body.

I have to get 30 day shred in today as well. Ha! We'll see if that happens after I load the dishwasher and do laundry. I might just nap on the deck. A workout of the mind.
  • slimzandra
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I really liked the 30 Day Shred with Jillian. That was my ambitious month of May. I didn't Shred much weight because while I was exercising like a fiend, my diet still wasn't under control. I do think once I lose a few more pounds, I will get back to an in-class routine at the gym, esp. for the form and great tips to improve. Tx for those.

Day 5. Feeling Alive? Um. NO. I did not want to do this today. I'm glad it was only 16 minutes and a shorter one. I kinda rushed through it this morning. Not feeling the Zen. Adriene liked her "tigerish" yoga pants, today. LOL.
    jjo37d46uaji.jpg
    This is what I mean about she must have short legs, really long arms.. Oh, Yea,.. or be really flexible. (and no belly)
    Arggg... (go away darn fat)

I wonder if she will say if you are "Feeling a little frisky - freaky" tomorrow. What does that mean anyway?? I wasn't in the mood for it this morning.

Hope everyone is still dropping in and trying some of the days or doing Yoga someplace in the world.

Ciao for today.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I didn't mind day 5, especially that it was shorter. I didn't do day 6, 6 pack abs, yesterday as my back was not feeling well. I did a different yoga routing for back and neck pain, it was longer but slow moving and really stretched everything nicely. I think i'll try day 6 today, and see how that goes. looks like another short one.

What I found funny is on youtube it shows how many view each video has, the first two started out with 1 million, now by day 5 its down to like 500k. I found it amusing since it represents how many people start out the 30 day program and quickly give up on it.
  • slimzandra
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Day 6 ABS! Close your eyes and smile... (and shake)
    I wanted to clip an excerpt from her email below because I thought it was helpful for me and I liked what she wrote. I dread the soreness feeling of sore abs from overdoing it, which doesn't take much in my case. I did most of today's exercise with gusto (much less tired than I was yesterday) and did what I could! I did not always lower my legs all the way to the floor on the leg lifts and cramped up a bit on the bicycle. I found a small box at home to use and that worked out well. I thought she was very good today and reminding not to crunch and relax shoulders, etc...

Keep smiling today if you do this one.

Don't be frightened by the title of today's sequence! 6 Pack Abs. Today's practice targets the abdominals and tones the belly.

Now before the educated yogis catch me here - I want to point out that in truth, yoga tradition and history is wrought with ideas that should be questioned. Yogis often pushed and powered through at the request of their guru and the notion of "listening to your body" sometimes meant giving up or going against your teacher. Which you simply did not do.
    That said, the practice has evolved and while I absolutely honor the traditions and history of Yoga - I tend to hang on to the philosophy more and (obviously) encourage that we continue to explore how to make the yoga practice our own - individually. So - back to the six pack mentality.
    In a world where we are so desperately seeking to trim, tighten and tone it is our responsibility to find conscious-ness and kindness in the "push" to strengthen and tone.
    It is very difficult for me to go to classes and see people struggling and pushing through the struggle. Not only do we risk injury in this case (stop!) but we are lacking of any joy or smile in the fact that we are working hard, for ourselves.
    Self love should be a practice we ENJOY and that comes easier through time. Self love should not be a struggle you push through and get hurt by.
    What's the point?
    Alright, I think you get the picture! :-)
    For Day 6 - Six Pack Abs, Yogi style... DO WHAT YOU CAN! Protect the lower back by softening the knees and drawing naval to spine. Relax the neck and shoulders as you work. Lengthen through the crown of the head. Don't crunch!
    This is a shorter practice to tone the abdominals in a mindful way that feels fun and supportive! Also, almost every-one wants more core strength and tone abdominals. This is one of the most requested videos. You asked for it!
    Use this Day 6 practice to check in with the core. Mindful core training will support your entire practice and whole body health. While tone abs are something we all fancy (me too) core strength training is so much more than washboard abs or a flat tummy. By building core strength you are supporting the back and all of the muscles that surround your dear spinal cord. By working those muscles we are taking some of our weight off the spine and engaging the entire body. We are more likely to do active, engaging things when the body is strong & engaged.
    Great for runners, dancers, movers and shakers!

Great for grounding the spirit.

• auntstephie321
    Options
    I loved this one, did it last night. I was dreading it but since it was only 16 minutes I was able to get through and not feel like giving up. It definitely worked those abs. I'm excited for todays program too since it's a little longer and is for the whole body. Thanks so much for starting this group, I'm loving it!