Magnesium

Options
tracy0919
tracy0919 Posts: 46 Member
Hey there. I've just had my standard blood levels checked and everything came back good - even my thyroid which was previously low. Weirdly, though, my magnesium is low even though I take a 500 mg supp. I did figure out I was taking a form that doesn't always absorb well (mag oxide), but what else could be causing it do you think?

Replies

• deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You are correct, magnesium oxide is poorly absorbed. There are better forms that bioavailable that can be taken orally or absorbed topically. Most people are magnesium deficient.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carolyn-dean-md-nd/bone-health_b_1540931.html
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Here is a pretty good blog about magnesium and it's various forms.

http://fixyourgut.com/magnesium-most-overlooked-mineral-for-improving-health/

• tracy0919
    Options
    Thanks!
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I was recommended mag citrate as a better absorbable supplement....so far so good.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I take 300-500 mg of magnesium citrate daily as I was told it is absorbed better.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I found by doubling my ReMag liquid magnesium I lowered blood sugars, energy levels were better..and I think it is helping with bone pain from a car accident. I was taking the starter dose of 1/2 tsp a day in a qt of water, then added to 1 tsp in 20 oz, and drink that in a shorter time.

700-800, up to 1000 is considered more necessary due to our foods having far less Mg in them from depleted agribiz farmed soils…also adding a Mg 'oil" or spray MG, rubbing on feet, legs, arms gives absorbed Mg
    ( injured areas are massaged with the Mg oil for athletes, so consider that too.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-diagnosis?utm_source=Dr+Sircus+Newsletter&utm_campaign=77e88e9401-Article_307_7_22_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ea98c09673-77e88e9401-10770489&mc_cid=77e88e9401&mc_eid=e1a8a15d9b
  • tracy0919
    Options
    I found by doubling my ReMag liquid magnesium I lowered blood sugars, energy levels were better..and I think it is helping with bone pain from a car accident. I was taking the starter dose of 1/2 tsp a day in a qt of water, then added to 1 tsp in 20 oz, and drink that in a shorter time.

700-800, up to 1000 is considered more necessary due to our foods having far less Mg in them from depleted agribiz farmed soils…also adding a Mg 'oil" or spray MG, rubbing on feet, legs, arms gives absorbed Mg
    ( injured areas are massaged with the Mg oil for athletes, so consider that too.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-diagnosis?utm_source=Dr+Sircus+Newsletter&utm_campaign=77e88e9401-Article_307_7_22_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ea98c09673-77e88e9401-10770489&mc_cid=77e88e9401&mc_eid=e1a8a15d9b

I'm curious: what is ReMag? Is it a brand of liquid magnesium? Also, did it have a taste or taste yucky? What form of magnesium is it?
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for posting that article @KETOGENICGURL There are a number of symptoms on the listing that I have taken for granted for years. I guess I need to up my Mag intake and see which ones are affected.
  • tracy0919
    Options
    deoxy4 wrote: »
    You are correct, magnesium oxide is poorly absorbed. There are better forms that bioavailable that can be taken orally or absorbed topically. Most people are magnesium deficient.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carolyn-dean-md-nd/bone-health_b_1540931.html

Thanks so much for the articles. I just ordered some more that is easier to absorb. This has been a great thread.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    GREAT article KETOGENICGIRL!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    Tracy..sorry..missed replying. ReMag is a brand by Dr. Dean, she spent a decade looking for a non-pill, non laxative causing Mg..and developed it herself. ( she is practically HYPER on using Mg..but I like to se the enthusiasm and dedication she shows to helping others, and don't mind her promo of her own product.)

Also look into magnesium gel or spray, easy to just use after showering, and slowly the transdermal absorption also boosts your Mg.

• tracy0919
    Options
    Tracy..sorry..missed replying. ReMag is a brand by Dr. Dean, she spent a decade looking for a non-pill, non laxative causing Mg..and developed it herself. ( she is practically HYPER on using Mg..but I like to se the enthusiasm and dedication she shows to helping others, and don't mind her promo of her own product.)

Also look into magnesium gel or spray, easy to just use after showering, and slowly the transdermal absorption also boosts your Mg.

Thanks so much. I will look into Dr. Dean
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I accidentally bought magnesium stearate. I was taking 500mg @ day, and that still gave me leg cramps. I upped it to 1000g @ day (4 pills) and that seemed to have done the trick. When I was using Mag citrate, I only had to take 400mg @ day (2 pills).

So, it does make a difference what type of mag you take.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I accidentally bought magnesium stearate. I was taking 500mg @ day, and that still gave me leg cramps. I upped it to 1000g @ day (4 pills) and that seemed to have done the trick. When I was using Mag citrate, I only had to take 400mg @ day (2 pills).

So, it does make a difference what type of mag you take.

Dan the Man from Michigan

Hah Mg-stearate is an extremely common binding excipients used in tablet presses. I imagine it must taste like dry wall.
  • kinketo42
    kinketo42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Solgar's-Magnesium Citrate 800 mg at bedtime and NEVER had leg crams since I started almost 4 weeks ago. Additionally you will never have constipation as long as you keep up with it :wink: Will have to check my blood level soon...but happy with it
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    blo0d tests will reveal anyone is normal..even if they are way low. ( sure enough the VA lab tested me when i WAS low, and said normal.

this is because Mg does NOT reside in the blood..it stays in the bones and is released as needed…only 1% is found circulating in blood…

there are special tests, called Magnesium RBC...and out of 140 US labs fewer than 40 will be able to do the test, costing $50. thru a Labcorp… look at website by Dr. Dean..she explains this well.

I've tried. and a MD office, local hospital, local land etc can't offer it either, they just shrug. so I'd have to go to a big city, like SF, CA- 5 hours drive.....find a lab, and have the test mailed..just taking 800mg dose of liquid MG, plus transdermal use a day is enough, and I feel the benefits, so not stressing over this.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    So if it actually show up low on a blood test, we're doubly screwed?
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    yes Knit…but 1% is what shows up in the blood..my last test it was 2%..this is because I AM getting 800+mg a day.

I stopped arguing with the techs that I was fine per THEIR interpretation of the regular serum test.

the warning given about Mg for kidney is that poor dialysis patients are given a 3000mg bolus of Mg in IV..and it is far too much too fast..this info, trickles out and "Mg is not for kidney patients" which is untrue..like many untruths people believe..even Mds repeat it, frustrating. ( in Volek & Phinney book they say it too!! but never explain why…I tracked it down)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Level:
    Date: 20-Apr-15
    Result: 1.6 MG/DL
    Reference Range: 1.8-2.4
    Flag: Low

So because I was already outside the low range and had no previous testing for point of reference, does this mean I was really, REALLY low?

I'm supplementing regularly now and I can tell a difference. I'm just curious mainly because even after 60+ days keto, my potassium and sodium levels were similar to previous tests...
  • deoxy4
    Options
    the warning given about Mg for kidney is that poor dialysis patients are given a 3000mg bolus of Mg in IV..and it is far too much too fast..this info, trickles out and "Mg is not for kidney patients" which is untrue..like many untruths people believe..even Mds repeat it, frustrating. ( in Volek & Phinney book they say it too!! but never explain why…I tracked it down)

Good info which I believe is correct. I have a relative who suffers high blood pressure, kidney disease, anxiety and depression and takes a PPI for GERD. She is on a huge dose of diuretic. Low stomach acid and high diuretic, I have no doubt she is magnesium deficient. She head Mg was not for kidney patients from a nutritionist. Case closed. She takes a calcium carbonate antacid because everyone knows that's good for bones.