Is anyone else Carb Sensitive/intolerant?

Options
carom
carom Posts: 188 Member
Please share you stories with me. I am think I am figuring out that I am truly carb sensitive, I do well all week but in the weekend if I have a glass of wine or 2 or 3 chocolates I seem to put on any from 500g to 3kilo! Seriously, this is crazy! I don't even think I can have any diet lemonade... I am exercising everyday (although I don't record it on here). This week I have dropped my carbs to 30g and will see how that goes.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Anytime your weight changes by a large amount in a short time, there's only one explanation: water.

Alcohol is a mild diuretic, and a lot of people report weight loss after drinking.

Exercise can cause either water loss (via sweat) or water gain (via muscle inflammation).

Chocolate? Depends on the carb content, I guess, but it's never had any effect on me except good feelings. :)
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am eating keto, so I do very low carb. No wine or chocolate or I would retain water from the sugar . Today my carbs were 4 total. . We all react to carbs in our own way. . 30 carbs and I would gain weight. . Find your sweet spot and stick with it.

:-)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    carom wrote: »
    I don't even think I can have any diet lemonade.

I missed this part. I would cut out artificial sweeteners before experimenting with carb levels. A lot of people seem to have water retention with AS. Somebody recently reported a HUGE gain with zero carbs and some added sweetener.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I am eating keto, so I do very low carb. No wine or chocolate or I would retain water from the sugar . Today my carbs were 4 total. . We all react to carbs in our own way. . 30 carbs and I would gain weight. . Find your sweet spot and stick with it.

I'm curious

How is it working for you ?

Do you just feel the fat cells melting away!?!

• azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I'm curious

I feel fine. I don't lose as fast as some, but it's from anti inflammatory meds. I still average 1.48 pounds a week and a lot of inches. It's easy to do and I am never hungry. I am so glad I found this way of life. I was cleaning out a closet today and found clothing that I never thought I would be able to wear... I still didn't think I could, but I tried a few things on and some were actually too big. There are so many benefits. Are you already eating like this? Or thinking about it? So much information and support here.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options

I'm curious

I feel fine. I don't lose as fast as some, but it's from anti inflammatory meds. I still average 1.48 pounds a week and a lot of inches. It's easy to do and I am never hungry. I am so glad I found this way of life. I was cleaning out a closet today and found clothing that I never thought I would be able to wear... I still didn't think I could, but I tried a few things on and some were actually too big. There are so many benefits. Are you already eating like this? Or thinking about it? So much information and support here.

I have a new profile

I'm professional hobbyist

Same profile pic I often used

I am hard core low carb. Been doing long duration cardio while fasted to drive my body into keto fat burn mode

I'm still losing almost 8 lbs a month

I use lots of exercise to force it.

Got in 65 miles of cycling this weekend. I will get 3x20 mile weekdays in

I love lower carb living

It makes sense to me. I only eat sugar for specific exercise situations and it works fine and does not break keto

You are doing awesome!!!

That is great progress!!

Yay You!

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @carom. I experience the water retention as you do. I'm very diligent during the week, almost zero carbs and very high fat but I drink wine on the weekend and sometimes have food that I know makes me swell. I limit it, but even a little bit causes water retention. For me, I think it is not the grams of carbs but the foods themselves. I stayed on plan Saturday except for wine and had no gain. I went off plan yesterday, ate grains, nightshades, and Pepsi (!!!) and tripled my usual caloric intake and am up 2 lbs. This kind of eating would have resulted in a gain of 8-10 lbs overnight before I went keto. My solution is to water fast 1-2 days, then resume keto and within 3-4 days, the water is gone and I begin. losing weight again.

This weekend, I started exercising and walked about 5 miles in the heat yesterday so that might also be a factor.

We learn our bodies reactions through trial and error. It's taken me a long time and lots of testing to realize that different foods affect me differently than most and that I am not going to abstain forever although I can for long periods. I've also accepted that eating as close to zero carbs as I can and water fasting works best for me to reduce edema and continue to lose fat.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I agree with Toadqueen. It isn't so much the grams of carbs, but the carbs themselves. If I eat more carbs in the way of fruits and veggies, I don't experience any issues. If I were to eat sugary treats, pizza, or simple carbs, then yes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't know if I swell or retain water, particularly, as I haven't been weighing frequently enough for that type of data anymore, but I can tell you this. As far as my personal body's metabolism and reactions, ALL CARBS ARE NOT CREATED EQUALLY.

For me:
    high fiber veggie carbs, no big deal. Work right in to diet as preferred.
    Mid range veggie carbs (tomatoes, potatoes, etc.) as long as eating with high fats, no major impact, eat occasionally without problems.
    low fiber/high sugar veggies - unknown - as I haven't experimented with/slippery slow

Breads (whole grain) - causes insulin reaction and therefore sleepiness after consuming, even with 4 net carbs
    low quality - not experimented with...

fruits, low sugar (berries) - mixed reactions, depending on consumption. Have isolated some sweeteners as compounding issues - so retesting, but seems to cause cravings for more berries more than anything
    fruits, medium/high sugar - my body flips out, I pass out or get super sleepy. I might as well have eaten a candy bar. Have not retried lately - no desire to do so.

Candy - lower carb - depends on consumption, but if done mindfully, minimal impact
    Candy - higher carb/sugar - a bite or two - mild headache symptoms, sugar rush, sickly feeling - much - instant migraine (and I don't normally get these) and cravings and swelling, the whole nine. Avoided 99.9% of the time.

I think that part of this is related to my insulin resistance, and part of this is just ME.... So yes, I consider myself carb-sensitive on some things and carb-intolerant in some things, but not in all. I just have different primary reactions.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am to some things and not to others. Fruits, like honeydew melon and berries seem to produce either no reaction, or nothing visible at least. I can have dark chocolate with or without mint with no problems as long as it's a small piece. Haven't tried anything larger than 6 grams because I haven't wanted it. I can also have steel cut oats worked into my day and have zero issue.

Milk chocolate, cake(mix or store bought, haven't tried one made from scratch), bread that I don't make myself(have a bread machine and a recipe for 3 net carbs per slice), pasta, potatoes and too many sugar alcohols(more than 5 grams per day) and bad things happen.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Up until recently I didn't know I was/am very carb sensitive. I've had diabetes for over 30 years with poor bg control following the ADA diet. My eye doctor told me I had to improve my bg control. I do strict LCHF & now I have excellent control. So it's the carbs that make the difference.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Up until recently I didn't know I was/am very carb sensitive. I've had diabetes for over 30 years with poor bg control following the ADA diet. My eye doctor told me I had to improve my bg control. I do strict LCHF & now I have excellent control. So it's the carbs that make the difference.

That is awesome news. Carbs drive my pain up in a real way.

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I'm more than a little disappointed in the ADA, they say carb control is import but they're WAY too generous with their 45 to 60g per meal and 15g for snacks. 240g carbs was a joke on me. My eye doctor takes pictures of the back of my eyes, he compared this times picture to 4 years ago, even I could see the difference. :(
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    MissMaggieElizabeth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am sticking with 5 carbs and under. Weight loss has been about 5 pounds a month. I do not do serious work outs. I do work very hard in my yard. Weight loss feels slow but it is consistent. When I was doing 20 and then down to 10 carbs a day I would lose and gain lose and gain. Dropped to 5 carbs and below and my weight might jump up a couple tenths of a pound in a day or stay the exact same for three or four days then drop. I do not ever cheat. It means more to me to lose the weight to goal than a sinful bite of potato salad or chocolate. I do miss my once in awhile glass of wine. When the weight is gone I will give it a try again once in awhile.

So yes I am very sensitive to all carbs right now.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just realized how Carb sensitive I am. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I just started back on low carbs. In just less than a week my fasting BG has dropped from mid 300's to about 144. I've been sticking around 50-100 carbs a day. I've discovered that any thing above that is trouble for me. I grazed up to 133 carbs and I feel miserable. My acid reflux kicked in and now I'm up in the middle of the night writing this. I'm going to stick to 100 carbs or less. It's just not worth the problems.
  • tracy0919
    tracy0919 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been staying around 15-21 carbs, but am considering going to 10 or less. I find if I have any carbs beyond 21, my energy level swings, I become impatient, it's hard to concentrate and I want more! Plus, I think it gives me a headache. Since starting this keto way of eating, those things have mostly just dropped off. I am going to stay at no more than 20 and drop myself down over a few days and see if that makes a difference. I think even the carbs in high fiber veggies bother me a little bit, but not as much as common carbs like wheat and such.
    So great to read about other people and carb reactions - makes me feel not so alone. :-)
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @Scorpiotwin - great news on the BG front. I had to stop all diabetes meds within a week of low carb when I first started.

@tracy0919 - I stopped eating veggies a couple of weeks ago and feel so much better. Like you, they did not affect me as much as grains or dairy but the difference without them is noticeable.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Just love reading how others are too enjoying the benefits of eating low to very low carbs to resolve health issues. A friend just had surgery to overcome acid reflux problems and I bet LCHF would have helped that and other health related issues. She knows my health results with LCHF and we are the same age but just like I had to chose LCHF on my own so does everyone else. Keep the stories coming.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm more than a little disappointed in the ADA, they say carb control is import but they're WAY too generous with their 45 to 60g per meal and 15g for snacks. 240g carbs was a joke on me. My eye doctor takes pictures of the back of my eyes, he compared this times picture to 4 years ago, even I could see the difference. :(

Ken, May I ask specifically what differences you noted? My OH is very stubborn about not giving up his sugary drink and such, but he is fully blind in one eye (cornea removed due to trauma) and losing vision in his good eye slowly. I think if anything were to motivate him to reevaluate his dietary intake some, it would be this! Looking forward to hearing the differences you noted!
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    @carom. I experience the water retention as you do. I'm very diligent during the week, almost zero carbs and very high fat but I drink wine on the weekend and sometimes have food that I know makes me swell. I limit it, but even a little bit causes water retention. For me, I think it is not the grams of carbs but the foods themselves. I stayed on plan Saturday except for wine and had no gain. I went off plan yesterday, ate grains, nightshades, and Pepsi (!!!) and tripled my usual caloric intake and am up 2 lbs. This kind of eating would have resulted in a gain of 8-10 lbs overnight before I went keto. My solution is to water fast 1-2 days, then resume keto and within 3-4 days, the water is gone and I begin. losing weight again.

This weekend, I started exercising and walked about 5 miles in the heat yesterday so that might also be a factor.

We learn our bodies reactions through trial and error. It's taken me a long time and lots of testing to realize that different foods affect me differently than most and that I am not going to abstain forever although I can for long periods. I've also accepted that eating as close to zero carbs as I can and water fasting works best for me to reduce edema and continue to lose fat.