My swim was frustrating today because...

Options
I felt the need to have a venting thread today, and I wondered if anyone else would enjoy having the occasional vent about their swimming experience?

For reasons I can only guess at, the pool decided to rope off one third of the width, and then not use it in any way at all. This then made all the lanes that bit thinner, which I guess fed into the experience I had today.

For starters, we had our regular 'gentle back stroke in the medium lane' guy. Floating along, two minutes per length. Now don't get me wrong, we all have slow days, and it's not a competition, but if you want to go slow, then go in the slow lane, lol. There was also a lady in the fast lane who was slower than us in the medium lane; that didn't bother me because I wasn't in that lane, but I do wonder why people don't try to choose the best lane for their speed.

Secondly, we had Miss 'kick you with her breaststroke every time she goes past'. I got kicked twice in the side by her, and once her heel came so close to my face that I had to jerk out of the way to avoid her. I get that the lane was narrower today, which wasn't her fault, but if your breast stroke is taking up 3/4s of the width of the entire lane, at least cool it down a bit when passing oncoming swimmers!

Finally, one Mum decided to bring her small children to the adult lane swim, which is supposed to be 16+ only. I then spent my swim with the boy thinking it was fun to swim up behind me and bang into my feet, then grin when I turned around to look at him. They also spent a large part of the time just congregated at the end, so you couldn't get to the wall to push off. I wouldn't mind but the entire day is a 'swim for everyone' day except for two hours of lane swimming, one in the morning and one at noon. There's also a dedicated children's pool where they can splash around and enjoy themselves all the time. I take it she was stressed, because she seemed to be yelling at them, but it's not really their fault if they were brought to an inappropriate session and then expected to just swim up and down silently, not enjoying themselves.

By the end of it, I was so stressed from trying to avoid everyone, stay away from the boy banging into my feet, navigate around the people standing at the end, avoid the slow backstroke guy and try to stay in front of the lady who kept kicking me that I barely even cared about my swim anymore. I was desperate to do my 60 lengths so I could get out, and that's such a shame, as usually I love being in the water and never want to get out.

Does anybody else have a frustrating swim that they want to vent about? I know it's not the most positive topic, but perhaps it will help to let off a little steam!

black coffee x

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    At my Y, the life guards have the authority to stop that crap. And they do.
    One rather busy day there was only one lap lane because the swim team and lesson took 7.
    Two kids though it would be fun to do canon balls as I went by. Their mother just sat there watching. Life guard put a stop to that.
    There are multiple pools. Parents with kids usually go to the program pool because that pool is kept between 86 and 88 degrees. The lap pool is 79-80. So it keeps most of the kids and slow old folks out. Had the pool to myself when the heater shut down last January over night. Pool was 73 degrees on Monday morning :)
    But you want to see chaos in a pool, go to China. No lane ropes. No etiquette at all. Swimming across the lanes, diagonally, and 90+ only know how to do the breast stroke s getting kicked in the nuggets is real concern.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I vented in the "Did you swim" thread about yesterday, but I'll do it again here :D

There are 6 lanes in the lap pool. Most of the time, 4 lanes are for lap swimming and the other two are for lessons, water aerobics, or for splashing around and being silly. Our lanes are not designated as slow, medium, fast, but we usually don't have more than two per lane so usually we split the lanes rather than circle swim. In the year+ I've been swimming there, I've only had to circle swim once.

Anyway, typical etiquette at our pool is to go to the deeper end, where the starting platforms are, wait for the person using the lane to get to that end and ask if you can share. The person already in the lane decides which side they want and you go from there.

Well, yesterday while I was in the middle of a sprint set, a woman got in at the other end of the pool. I swimming hard, gasping for air, you know, typical sprint work, and all of a sudden there are legs between me and the wall. EEP! Put on the brakes so I don't run into her, and when I come up she says something about sharing, but she said it in a way that sounded accusatory, like "why are you swimming in the middle of the lane?" Oh, I don't know, maybe because when I got in there are 2 of us swimming in 4 lanes, which means 2 lanes were empty.

She didn't share very well so I just did a quick cool down and got out. We couldn't have been swimming in the same lane for even 10 minutes and when I got out - two freaking empty lanes. Are you kidding me?!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    - two freaking empty lanes. Are you kidding me?!

. . . Aaaaaaaaaand the reason you didn't move to an empty lane waaaaaas . . . . ?

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Most frustrating thing for me lately has been the instability of the water quality. It's an old college gym, and all of the pumps are on their last legs, but one day it tastes like swimming with pennies in my mouth, the next day the air has so much chlorine in it that my eyes start stinging before I even get in the water, and today it was so cloudy I could barely see the stripe on the bottom at the deep end. And just wait til the weather starts getting cold: the temperature will drop 8 degrees over the weekend making Monday a.m. a teeth chatterer!
  • LauraRae2
    Options
    - two freaking empty lanes. Are you kidding me?!

. . . Aaaaaaaaaand the reason you didn't move to an empty lane waaaaaas . . . . ?

Good point! I could have, but I couldn't see the other lanes were empty until I got out of the pool. And I'll be honest, I was irritated that she shared my lane when empty lanes were available. I was there first, darnit! (yes, I am a toddler ;) )
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Reading your frustrations made me feel much better. I was thinking today about how it's in the nature of swimming that we all have to share what is often a relatively small space, unlike jogging or cycling or even the ocean, which you can explore to find the quiet places. I suppose that sharing often leads to these little frustrations.

I had a woman today who was doing that thing where they swim past you if you're even remotely slower than they are, and even if you're two foot from the end wall, and then swim slower than you once they're in front, forcing you to go past them, just so they can overtake you again, and then swim slowly in front of you....
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Like most of you my frustration was over pool/lane etiquette ...The pool at Gold's Gym is just a lap pool, it doesn't have the size to have a 'rec' area. It is just 2 lanes wide, and that is it. (But there is a hot tub, sauna and steam room adjacent). Almost always I just walk in and there is a lane available. But today I happened to go in and it was a bit crowded.

There were two older ladies there doing some variations on water aerobics routines. Some swimming but mostly jogging in place, using water weights that sort of thing. Considering the type of workouts they were doing they probably could have shared a lane to open one up or lap swimming. BUT on the other hand, they were there before me (or the many others in this story). Their exercise is a valid as mine, so I was ok with them using the lanes and sat down to wait for them to finish.

Just as I am sitting down two younger ladies walk into the pool area. They don't even hesitate, they just walk over and drop into the ends of the two lanes. They didn't talk to the ladies already using them, they didn't look over to see who might be waiting. Just 'hey we are here now, obviously these lanes are ours'. Then they proceeded to chat with each other for 20 minutes standing in the water at the end of both lanes. Now like i mention the older ladies were not doing 'laps' per se, but at least one of them was doing some movement down the length of the lane, which she couldn't do all that well now with the obstacles. So after 20 minutes or so she goes ahead and gets out and comes over to the hot tub. The two younger ladies now at least combine into the single lane to continue to gab for another 10 minutes. They do eventually start doing laps sharing the lane (which again, I had been waiting on and still was). But they would swim one-lap, then talk for 5 minutes, do another, repeat.

So now we have the one lady doing her aerobics workout in one lane, and the other lane occupied by the chatters. Three guys who had been using the steam room decide to come out and jump into the end of the lane with the aerobics lady and cool off. And continue to loudly talk and joke with each other just socializing the day away. About this time I am joined in the hot tub by another apparent lap-swimmer waiting on a lane (swim cap, goggles, etc). They didn't look to see if anyone was waiting, they didn't ask the lane occupant, nor did they make any attempt to actually exercise. No, but they also didn't just stay in the end away from the aerobics lady either. They started horsing about, splashing, moving down the lane and passing by her causing waves, etc.

Eventually aerobics lady finished up her routine and comes over to the hot tub. And about that same time so do the chatty ladies. When the chatty ladies start moving towards the side of the pool the other lap swimmer who has been sitting in the hot tub waiting as I am, and even commented to me how unusually crowded it was gets up and takes their lane! She doesn't ask if I want it, doesn't ask to share, and its not like she doesn't know I'm there ..she spoke to me. I'd been sitting there thinking if I wanted the inside or outside when the lane opened up, because obviously I was going to share! But I was also waiting patiently for the other occupants to actually clear the pool before I got up! Well too slow, so sad! I guess that solved that problem for me.

The hot tub is on a timer, so the next time it expired and I got up to restart it I gave the three fellas a kinda lingering look. They finally got the hint, and cleared the pool a few minutes later. Then I finally had a lane and got my swim in ....Only like 6 places back in line from where I started ...

When I got in and started my laps the other lap swimmer did wait till we were both paused at the same end and apologize for jumping queue. Said she didn't realize I was waiting. Which I'm sure she didn't, but I was sitting intently watching the lanes, with my cap and goggles in hand. She didn't notice because she didn't bother to look or ask or any such. But whatevs! At least she acknowledged it, which is more than the others. And I did eventually get my 60 minutes in without sharing a lane ...
  • LauraRae2
    Options
    Ugh Stephen, that sucks! I'm glad you finally were able to get your swim in.

Black coffee, I think you're right - we're sharing a small space, we all have this idea of what our workout will be in our heads, and then someone else's actions may cause us to have to change it up. I am admittedly not the most flexible person in the world, so midstream changes are tough for me, and when the person does it without the etiquette that is the culture of that pool, it really grates.

I got my come-uppance today though. The pool was super busy and I ended up sharing with a swim team teenager. Holy moly, that'll make you feel inadequate in a hurry! I'm sure he's off complaining about me somewhere!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wow Stephen.
    If those busy days become the norm, then there will be a need for the gym to formulate and enforce rules, for the good of everyone.
    And strictly speaking, given that there are only 2 lanes, they may have to seriously restrict the time slots available for water jogging, etc.
    And given the extremely limited space, generally chatting may need to be restricted to the hot tub!
    When there are only 2 lanes, something's got to give!
    Options

I got my come-uppance today though. The pool was super busy and I ended up sharing with a swim team teenager. Holy moly, that'll make you feel inadequate in a hurry! I'm sure he's off complaining about me somewhere!

Amen! Somewhere, out there, I am somebody's frustrating swim. Go me, lol. *crawls away in shame*
    Options
    I finally had a lane and got my swim in ....Only like 6 places back in line from where I started ...

Ah that sucks. Sometimes I have this debate about being the good guy who finishes last or the pushy guy who gets in first. I'd rather be very polite and let everyone take turns but I often notice that other people get ahead of me. Sometimes it pays to be the pushy person who shoulders forward, as impolite as that sounds.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    The pros fight too :smiley:

Here is an excerpt regarding a physical fight that broke out at the championships between the best male swimmer of the meet and a Brazilian female swimmer!
    Nuts!

"Sun nor his translator, who did not give his name but identified himself as a member of the Chinese team’s medical staff, would answer questions regarding a reported altercation with a Brazilian female swimmer earlier in the day. Reports indicate that Sun was in a lane with the unidentified swimmer and was unusually rough in attempting to pass her. This resulted in alleged blows between the two swimmers and an exchange of harsh words with Sun and a Brazilian official, who reported the incident to FINA. During the press conference, Sun’s translator said the alleged altercation and the withdrawal from the race were unrelated, and would not offer any comment on the incident"!

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/sun-yang-answers-questions-about-1500-free-withdrawal/
    Options
    Lol that's hilarious. I bet she gave him hell :-)
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Just because I was thinking about this post this morning, I will tell you of my NON-frustrating swim. The pool was full this morning and having your own lane, at least at first, was out of the question. I shared mine with a lady named Juanita, who was swimming every day well before I started 10-ish years ago. We had a run-in (literally) about 5-6 years ago when the morning fog was so bad you couldn't see one end of the pool to the other and cracked our heads together a bit and laughed it off. She isn't that much faster than me and swims quite compactly, which I hope she can say about me. As I swam I looked around into the other lanes and the variety of speeds and some really weird kicks and was very very grateful!
  • kallemann67
    kallemann67 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My frustrating swims start when I see someone go to the toilet - No. 2 especially and walk out of the change room and straight into the pool. Our pool opens at 630 am ( I swim open water right now so I don't worry about this again until October) and I arrive at 6:00 am to do a full body wash - I mean EVERYTHING - so I'm nice and clean for the pool. Every morning I swim and I see a man or woman jumping in the water who hasn't showered I'm thinking - Thanks man ... for thinking of no one but your self.
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hate it when you swim laps and there’s an empty lane next to you but a swimmer decides to join in your lane.
    I hate it when a slow swimmer gets in the medium lane or worse still the fast lane !
    I hate it when a swimmer swims on the wrong side of the lane.
    I hate it when a swimmer swims down the centre of the lane.
    I hate it when a swimmer pushes off to start their training as you’re just about to turn and they break your rhythm.
    I hate it when some kid has done a “polly waffle” in the pool. (think Caddy Shack)
    I hate it when people talk all over the end of a lane so you can’t tumble turn without placing a foot on them. (mmmm. I’ll think about that).
    I hate breastroke. Sorry breastrokers but it hurts my knees, I’m slow it and it looks funny.
    I hate swimmers that do backstroke and swim zig zag style down the pool.
    I hate pools that are over chlorinated so it burns the skin.
    I hate it when a fast swimmer gets in a medium or slow lane to show off.
    I hate it when referees hold you on the blocks and wait for the big fat guy to wobble so they can DQ.
    I hate it when a swimmer stops halfway for a rest.
    I hate it when the ugly old guy keeps his speedos one season too long and they become see through.
    I hate it when the changerooms have no hot water.
    I hate it when you’re swimming a real good time for 800m and some guy is laying on the bottom of the pool with bluish skin and you have only done 400m.
    I hate it when you get that guilty feeling at 600m that you should check on him.
    I hate it when you have completed your 800m and its not your best time as the guy took your mind off the swim.
    I hate it when I cant swim.

In all seriousness I just really like swimming.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The guy 'sharing' our lane last night had the worst swimming etiquette. He would swim straight down the middle, doing this bizarre stroke that I could only describe as a modified Oarstroke/Moth Stroke; though it was sloppy and there was no kicking. I shouldn't judge, but when you're in the fast lane and you're not fast, you have no business messing around there.

He wouldn't share the space properly and each time he thought he could pass me (he couldn't), I would finish my length and have to stop because he would be just a few metres behind me in the opposing lane where my next length would take place. He also hit my sister twice during his Oarstroke thing because he wouldn't share and wouldn't watch where he was going.

When I called him out for having poor swimming etiquette and asked him if he knew what circle swimming was, he claimed he was a "swimming God" (narcissist alert) and then asked the lifeguard if I was right about how to share the lane. She told him he should choose a slower lane and then he left. It started out frustrating, but ended wonderfully.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    50 meter pool.
    No lane ropes.
    No etiquette.
    90% of those in the pool not swimming but blocking the wall and lanes.
    the majority of those attempting to do laps doing a wide attack mode breast stroke with attack kick.
    water a hot 90 degrees.
    Actual swimmer's pool are rare and expensive.
    If they would just drop the pool temp to 80 degrees, most of the parents with children would not come. Ropes marking lap only lanes and life guards with authority to enforce lap only would greatly improve the experience for all.
    The splashers get mad at the lap swimmers for daring to use the pool as intended.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @aledba Understand the frustration as I have experienced the same thing. I actually swam right overtop of an individual of questionable intelligence who entered the lane from the side in the middle of the pool. Didn't see her as I was doing all my breathing on my weakside as an exercise/drill. Strange how people will look before crossing/entering streets but not think about it in pools or walking trails.
    Still we have nothing to complain about when you read about what @fishgutzy has to put up with.

@fishgutzy Do you see lane ropes in the pool anywhere? If you do - grab one and place it in the pool creating one lap lane and take off swimming. Some times you have to be a little brash to re-educate people.
    Attack Mode breast stroke - reminds me of Dogs defending there Home Turf.
    Options
    Lol, I got a few laughs reading this today. Sorry guys! I sympathise muchly but at the moment I am having the best time swimming in South Africa - the whole pool is divided into lanes for individual use, it is half empty or completely empty all the time. My only issue is that it's HOT! Feels like a warm bath, and it's very salty. But I'll take a hot salty swim over a crowded, annoying swim any day. I am not looking forward to going back to my usual irritating swim in the UK :-(