Bone Density Article

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/lifestyle-strategies-to-maintain-bone-density-during-aging

Somehow, following a few links down the rabbit hole, I ran across this article. While it is geared toward men, most of the non-hormonal data would apply to men, too. Considering that I know osteoporosis and osteoarthritis run in both sides of my family, this is great information!

Replies

• pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes, the instructor at the human anatomy and exercise physiology course last year said that weight bearing exercise such as heavy lifting, running, walking...anything that makes the bones "work harder" or being a bit compressed... is part of the bone density equation as getting older. I live in a country among the top in osteoporosis, which could be totally preventable. But no-one can be forced to eat healthier or move against their will. When the hip fractures and the legs, arms start breaking from simple falls in their 70's...it's often too late.

Jason Fung also has an interesting take on calcium in relation to bone density and arterial plaque. I don't know if what he says is true, but he makes a compelling argument for his view on the subject matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMSi3qQBRY&list=PLhMVa_juzVPkejdWDaPpl6Lk7RykHJc7x&index=7
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sorry - while the original info is geared toward WOMEN....
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I forget where I read it, but there was some research about the effects of protein on bone strength and density. In particular, it suggested that women needed to be especially careful to meet their needs or higher because protein is important for rebuilding bone and maintaining it. While we tend to think of bone as inert, they are actually living flesh and need maintaining like all other systems.