Can I really run 5K??

Options
Sawara
Sawara Posts: 3 Member
So I have NEVER been a runner. I am not in the best shape atm after 2 kiddies but I was reasonably active previously with yoga, gym, bike.. just never running.

I have started the 5K program and currently on W3D2. I had a quick look at the programs as the weeks go by and it seems daunting!!!! Can I really run 5k in such a short space of time??

I have been totally committed.. and im usually doing the run pushing my 2 girls in the pram so I know im working hard for it.. but not feeling very confident that I.. a total cardio wuss.. will be able to get to 5k in the coming weeks!!

Replies

• tslawson3
    tslawson3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    After an unexpected break due to vacation and some other issues, I was finally able to pick back up with the program. I completed W8D1 today and it felt great to be running again! I'm really looking forward to graduating soon and running my first 5k!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    tbh, at the end of c25k, not everyone is running 5km. They're running for 30 minutes, but not necessarily 5km. If you don't have it by the end of the program, you will soon after with some slight speed increases!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Yep you can, as said above you might not reach 5k by the end of the program, but if you keep working at it you will reach 5k. Less than 2yrs ago I took up C25K, I'm now averaging 50-60km a week.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You can. 14 months ago, I could not run for 2 mins, I can now run half marathons in under 2 hours, and run between 30 and 40 miles a week. If you follow the program you will at the end of the programme be able to run for 30 mins, 5k took me about 33mins. How you progress after the intitial C25k programme is up to your, but it is definitely doable
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the most important thing I have learnt about running is that its 99% in your head.

as the saying goes "whether you think you can, or you think you cant, your right"
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Just reiterating what everyone has been saying. You might not run 5k, but you WILL have a base to build on, if you desire. I wasn't running 5k either, but attempted a 5k run the same week as I graduated. I walked/ran/jogged to the finish line, but a month later ran a 5k in 40 minutes. Believe in yourself and good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it happens easier than I would have thought.
    not to say there aren't hard days. because there are. one day you feel great and the next day even five min is hard.
    but yes, it is certainly doable
  • tslawson3
    tslawson3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    tslawson3 wrote: »
    After an unexpected break due to vacation and some other issues, I was finally able to pick back up with the program. I completed W8D1 today and it felt great to be running again! I'm really looking forward to graduating soon and running my first 5k!

Sorry, I see that I posted this in the wrong discussion (thought I was in daily check-in). But since I'm here, :-) I'd definitely say trust the program. I wasn't even running a minute good when I first started and last night I ran 2.3 miles in 28 minutes. I do believe you can do it. I'm not quite sure I'll be at a 5K by the time I complete the program this week but I do believe I will have a solid foundation to build from. Good luck to you!!